The online racing simulator
VTEC Program
(43 posts, started )
VTEC Program
Hi, I was wondering if someone could make an add-on so that the XFG could sound like a VTEC engine... I had a go at replicating VTEC sounds using the standard 1.3 from the XFG, I need someone who can set the maximum throttle at 80-90%or so up to about 6k RPM, then after that, the full 100%throttle. The sound of the engine will change is the car goes from the 90 to 100% throttle, which would make that classic changeover note. I'd really appreciate it if someone could make this, as I can't program -.- . Also, if the throttle and RPM settings could be adjustable, so people could set it to their own preference, that would be cool. PM me if you can make it happen
Quote from djf3n1x :Hi, I was wondering if someone could make an add-on so that the XFG could sound like a VTEC engine... I had a go at replicating VTEC sounds using the standard 1.3 from the XFG, I need someone who can set the maximum throttle at 80-90%or so up to about 6k RPM, then after that, the full 100%throttle. The sound of the engine will change is the car goes from the 90 to 100% throttle, which would make that classic changeover note. I'd really appreciate it if someone could make this, as I can't program -.- . Also, if the throttle and RPM settings could be adjustable, so people could set it to their own preference, that would be cool. PM me if you can make it happen

Sounds like LFSTweak, although you need S2 licence to use.
Quote from Franky.S :Sounds like LFSTweak, although you need S2 licence to use.

You don't need an S2 to use the latest LFSTweak, as I use it a lot in offline play. however, it does not give the option of setting the maximum throttle, and at what RPMs.
LFSTweak allows you to change rev-limit, but only on some cars (XFG, XRG, and FBM). On these cars, you can also change tires and rims dimensions, add a turbo, define its pressure, change displacement of the engine (on all cars), change idle (on all cars, and works online on all servers), number of gears (on all cars and works on all servers too)...

It is very easy to get an engine/car very close to the real one, you just have to be patient, adjust power, torque...

I don't really understand what you mean by adjusting throttle ?

Well you don't have to know anything about programing to use it.
Quote from superxp :It is very easy to get an engine/car very close to the real one, you just have to be patient, adjust power, torque...

I understand that with LFSTweak it is possible to get the engine of the car close to its real counterpart. However, I meant that I was wondering how to replicate the noise of the VTEC crossover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLg03GLPxs8 (note 0:26 to 0:29). the closest I got to replicating this noise was by running the car at about 85% throttle, up to 6k RPM, then after the engine passes 6k, the sound of the engine going from 85% to 100% throttle sounds close to the Vtec crossover. That's why I was wondering if there was a program to limit the amount of throttle input up to a certain RPM, and if not, if someone could make that program.
Quote from djf3n1x :I understand that with LFSTweak it is possible to get the engine of the car close to its real counterpart. However, I meant that I was wondering how to replicate the noise of the VTEC crossover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLg03GLPxs8 (note 0:26 to 0:29). the closest I got to replicating this noise was by running the car at about 85% throttle, up to 6k RPM, then after the engine passes 6k, the sound of the engine going from 85% to 100% throttle sounds close to the Vtec crossover. That's why I was wondering if there was a program to limit the amount of throttle input up to a certain RPM, and if not, if someone could make that program.

Rev limiter? and set it low? (if possible, not had experience with it)
Use CSR (car sound remixer - search the forums). It should be very very easy to achieve this effect using that program.
Quote from djf3n1x :I understand that with LFSTweak it is possible to get the engine of the car close to its real counterpart. However, I meant that I was wondering how to replicate the noise of the VTEC crossover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLg03GLPxs8 (note 0:26 to 0:29). the closest I got to replicating this noise was by running the car at about 85% throttle, up to 6k RPM, then after the engine passes 6k, the sound of the engine going from 85% to 100% throttle sounds close to the Vtec crossover. That's why I was wondering if there was a program to limit the amount of throttle input up to a certain RPM, and if not, if someone could make that program.

Tweaking can help to make an engine to sounds closer to the real one.

For the sound, search on Gills Sound Workshop (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=44432) an engine sound similar to the one you're searching. You also can make a request on that thread (Gills' one).

For the throttle thing, I don't think a such program exists. Maybe try to add some intake restriction to your car ?
Quote from superxp :Tweaking can help to make an engine to sounds closer to the real one.

For the sound, search on Gills Sound Workshop (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=44432) an engine sound similar to the one you're searching. You also can make a request on that thread (Gills' one).

For the throttle thing, I don't think a such program exists. Maybe try to add some intake restriction to your car ?

I have looked on the Sound Workshop. However, there is no sound that can replicate the VTEC crossover. The only way I think this sound can be accurately done, is by using the (non-existent) program. As the VTEC from a 1.6 civic kicks in at about 5,900 rpm, I managed to replicate this by using 85% throttle up to about 5,900 rpm, and engaging full throttle afterwards. That's why I was wondering if someone could make a program which automatically limits the throttle to about 85% up to 5,900 rpm, and allows 100% afterward. The intake restriction decreases power across the whole range, which is not the effect I was looking for.
Program you're talking about will be considerably difficult to write. LFS CARSOUND Remixer is your best shot...
Quote from MadCatX :Program you're talking about will be considerably difficult to write. LFS CARSOUND Remixer is your best shot...

I was wondering, if it was possible to make it, and if so, if someone would be kind enough to make it for me
Quote from djf3n1x :I was wondering, if it was possible to make it, and if so, if someone would be kind enough to make it for me

Well, when you know how hard it is to make a cruise control (Cruise Control and the program you want have both to manage your wheel's axis), you don't even think to this. Programing a such thing would be difficult.
Quote from superxp :Well, when you know how hard it is to make a cruise control (Cruise Control and the program you want have both to manage your wheel's axis), you don't even think to this. Programing a such thing would be difficult.

OK, thanks for telling me. I do ralise programming is hard, but I did now know it would be that difficult.
I'll see if I can give it a go.
You have to improvise a bit to get a VTEC sound close to reality.

I took a turbo engine. Edited the power delivery with new tweak order and lfs tweak. Torque and power can be used to initiate the building of boost (Highest torque and highest power should be near to each other). Just try to find a point where boost is build up rapidly (will be your VTEC crossover point). Turbo response should be set to 0.01. Now go the engine sound menu and save the normal air intake sound (should be one you like and can also be the ai sound from another car). Afterwards load the air intake sound for or better instead of the normal turbo sound. Turn off the blow off sound. When the boost comes on, you will have a 2nd intake sound the gets very loud immediately (also depends on boost level). Voila, there is your VTEC sound. A bit of work and you have to try a lot of settings, but you will get there

I had a B16A Honda in former times, so I had to make such a sound
Quote from Spilla : Now go the engine sound menu and save the normal air intake sound (should be one you like and can also be the ai sound from another car). Afterwards load the air intake sound for or better instead of the normal turbo sound. Turn off the blow off sound. When the boost comes on, you will have a 2nd intake sound the gets very loud immediately (also depends on boost level).

I don't understand that really lol! So, I set the Intake level with the sound editor, and leave the BOV sound off. Could you put up a video tutorial for me, or could you explain what to do in further detail?
Thanks again, I do like my B16A's, so you can understand how much I love the noise of the VTEC crossover!
The so called "intake sound" in LFS is just some weird swoosh sound so it doesn't make that effect at all.

The car sound remixer is probably only good available choice currently. You just need really good sound samples and matching RPM values.
The simple answer to all this is "CSR" sound remixer.

It will be very easy. no need to make apps, just disable "off-throtle" and sounds up to 6k RPM, then BAM at the RPM u want any sound u assign will come on.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmBAAAAAAAAAAA

done and dusted.
I just came across this thread, and I find it an interesting subject.

The challenge of replicating VTEC has not only something to do with sound, since the VTEC experience is also linked to the fact that the torque goes up at the exact moment when the cams kick in. So what would have to change is the torque curve. But although I've seen torque curves in programs like RACER, I've never seen a torque curve in LFS so far.

Does anyone now if there is such a thing and where?

Example pic of VTEC torque curve (note the bump when VTEC kicks in):
To get some torque curve you'd probably have to calculate it yourself using OutGauge and OutSim data, it would be rather crude but it could at least give you an idea what torque curves in LFS look like.
Well, since you d'have to change the torque curve of an XFG or XRG to achieve a real VTEC experience, we would have to know where the actual file in LFS is, access it, not just view it outside of the simulation.

Does anyone with more knowledge than me have an Idea where in the LFS data this might be hidden?
LFS doesn't use any predefined torque curves, IIRC it just calculates the torque on the fly using some generic equations. The input parameters of the equations can be adjusted with LFS Tweak.
All right, thanks for the info.

Then it should probably be possible to achieve a torque surge from a defined RPM upwards. This together with some adequate vtec-sound would make for a grrrrreat XRG (and XFG for some) experience.

Actually, the LX4 would also hugely benefit from an F20C engine swap …

Edit: The method Spilla is proposing here in the thread sounds very promising. I tried all VTEC Tweaks I have, but none change the torque. Gonna try Spilla's method and see if I can get it to work.
Uhmmmm … 20% is a bit too much IMO.

VTEC Program
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG