The online racing simulator
Help! Why am I lagging?
(31 posts, started )
Help! Why am I lagging?
I have a fairly new computer with plenty of ram and good internet. When I get into an online race every other car is bouncing around.
are you downloading in the background (torrents or other P2P)?
shared internet connection and someone else is hammering it with P2P software, sending large emails or uploading lots of pics to facebook?
Virus/malware on your PC hammering the internet?
errors on your internet connection causing high latency?
I see you're from USA,most of servers are in Europe,here's a simple calculation:
USA (east coast) <- 6000+km (almost 4000 miles) -> Europe (UK - most LFS servers)
Ususally this would make around 100-150 ms ping which would still be reasonable,but are you sure your provider offers you good connections outside country's borders? Or maybe you're in west coast which almost doubles the distance (and latency)?
Just some extra questions beside Gandlers'...
Quote from Eclipsed :I see you're from USA,most of servers are in Europe,here's a simple calculation:
USA (east coast) <- 6000+km (almost 4000 miles) -> Europe (UK - most LFS servers)
Ususally this would make around 100-150 ms ping which would still be reasonable,but are you sure your provider offers you good connections outside country's borders? Or maybe you're in west coast which almost doubles the distance (and latency)?
Just some extra questions beside Gandlers'...

yeah I'm on the west coast. A friend of mine plays on the 42D mod server which is the one i was trying. He has no problems but it doesn't work for me I just wanna tandem!!!
Can you do a test on http://speedtest.net/ ? Try it with some server close to your location and with a server in Europe to see if it's your link or if you're just having issues connecting to servers on another side of the world.
#6 - bkss
Another question to ask might be, do you run McAfee Firewall? D:
With that ping I would suggest not to close on other cars,but still should be playable. Unless you have some packet loss or large amout of jitter in ping - try pingtest.net to find out! Oh,and with that download speed,I'm not sure you won't have problems in highly populated servers (in Europe).
no it's not playable. all the other cars bounce around the whole time. arrrgghhhhhh how can i fix this? my internet is fast and i have friends that play no problem. wtf
Press shift + f8, and tell us what numbers are above the cars, or any other messages you get on screen.
Close all downloads
Close all open programs
Close everything thats running on your computer
Re-Install LFS
if that doesnt work then you can Reset your internet
Or You can also
Kick You internet provider in the a*s
Why is your upload so much more than your download?
Hi All,

I am also having problems with lagging and constantly getting spectated for idling which is very frustrating for me and my fellow racers I'm sure. I am on the east coast in the US and got the following results with speedtest to Oslo:
ping - 108ms
Down - 14.72 Mbps
Up - 8.24 Mbps

with pingtest to Prague I got 178ms with 5 ms of jitter

I would think these numbers would be good enough....

I have a fast connection, locally with speedtest I'm getting 13ms ping, 58 Mbps down and 35 Mbps up.

I've attached a screen approximately when I got the warning.

Windows firewall is on but open for LFS, running AVG 2013 in the background, but that seems to cause no problem with latency, averaging around 200 us

Happy to provide any other details I may have forgotten....

Many Thanks
Attached images
spectated for idling.JPG
@ rickk2010
Hey,
can you please try click TCP/UDP button (see attacment) in connections list next time this happens. It could be that server is not receiving your UDP (position) packets.
Let us know if this fix problem
Attached images
1.png
Hi Daniel,

Switched to TCP and made it through an entire race no problems, except for my driving skills that is.....

Thanks!!!!!!

Rick
Hi All,

Well, I guess the problem is not solved, got spectated twice while in TCP mode, screen cap attached ..... any other ideas??

Thanks
Attached images
spectated for idling tcp.JPG
Something is wrong with your connection.

Like somebody else mentioned already, your upload link is much faster then your download.

Contact your ISP.
I think you are looking at the wrong posters connection speed:

My speedtest results are as follows:
From the East Coast U.S. -> Europe (Oslo):
ping - 108ms
Down - 14.72 Mbps
Up - 8.24 Mbps

Locally:
ping -13ms
Down - 58 Mbps
Up - 35 Mbps
Anybody have suggestions? I'm a newbie and enjoying LFS very much, but don't see the point of upgrading from demo if I can't get this resolved.

Many thanks
Do other online games work ok?
I'm not much of a gamer, so I don't have extensive experience, but I have used simraceway and race room a bit and they seemed to work fine. I also have no problem streaming HD video and uploading very large files (5-200 GB) for work regularly without any problems.
I think you should try to close some ports in your computer.
Use Windows Worms Doors Cleaner (app).
I can certainly check. It is a custom built machine based around an i7 with a very lean install of XP SP3. There are very few apps installed and everything else runs very quickly and smoothly, no crashes, hang ups, etc.

I got spectated again last night on lap 3 pf 5 at black wood. First 2.5 laps worked perfectly.
It may be your router or even the ISP that is blocking the packets. You could try opening the ports required for LFS and forwarding them to your PC's local IP. In this case then you'd have to set a static IP for your PC.

Help! Why am I lagging?
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG