The online racing simulator
#1 - Jura
Formulas: cockpit & intruments problem
I understand the fact that this is simulation and that all instruments in formulas have to be on steering wheel.
BUT:
Presume you are using low quality steering wheel that behavies very "nervous" or you are simply annoyed by using wheel in real life and looking at another on the screen.
Result is the same: you want to remove wheel from the screen.
But what happens when you remove wheel, and switch to virtual instruments on in the corner of the screen? It sucks: you just can't be focused on race and check at the bottom of the screen for revs.

So this is my improvement suggestion:
Make an option that will only virtually "lock steering wheel" on the screen so it is not moving around when I'm driving.
Results:
1. If you hate steering wheel in the formula that is moving around, you'll be happy
2. It is still sim because we are not forced to turn on some silly virtual clocks at corners of the screen.

Cheers
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
-
(XCNuse) DELETED by XCNuse
I agree, this is really the thing that bugs me the most with BF1 and FO8. I get very distracted by steering wheel movement on the screen. We should have an option to have fixed (not movable) steering wheel. Devs, please? Ventus
I really agree, this is the one reason I don't drive the fo8 and BF1 that much.
I normaly use the view withouth the driver's hands and steering wheel, 'cos I already have a wheel in my hands, why another one on screen? But with all the info on the wheel, I have to use the virtual guages, which block the mirrors in the fo8.

Anyway, I'd really like it if there was an option to switch between the FOX' style dash and the new wheel with all the info. Or at least make it possible to lock the wheel in place (like netkar iirc).
#4 - Munza
Bit confused, do u guys not like the wheel movement coz you cant read speed/gear/fuel etc? or is it just simply distracting?

I find it good, BF1 can get a bit annoying when i'm trying to read the fuel remaining but i've found from playing games such as GP3 etc, they lacked decent cockpit, which includes hands actually moving with the wheel.

I personally think the devs have done an awsome job with the wheel and hand/arm movements in this game, but in saying that i suppose the option to lock the wheel movement is a good idea for those who hate it
I'm about half a second a lap slower if I turn the virtual wheel off - maybe because I use a momo with only 240 degrees of lock, so I use the LFS wheel for a bit of subconscious feedback.
I have a computer display on my kart wheel and when I turn the wheel it moves too... There's nowehere to mount it stationary...

-1 (dont want to encourage you looking at your dials when you should be watching the gap to my rear wing).
Quote from Jura :
So this is my improvement suggestion:
Make an option that will only virtually "lock steering wheel" on the screen so it is not moving around when I'm driving.

...or the option to be able to move the virtual dial.
-
Turn down the view movement options - I use barely any - enough to give feedback but so much that I get headaches.
-
Quote : That's why I can't read the wheel display - not because it rotates but because it's jittering around like the rest of my view.

I never really thought of this before, but having driven Formula First a few times I think all the dials should shake around a little more in the other single seaters. Driving a single seater is like being the last match in the box, which is why the car I drove had analogue dials ... the chances of actually being able to read a digital dial where more remote than a lost kangaroo. I'm not vastly experienced at single seaters though.
Meh, you would have to deal with vibration etc IRL, therefore you should have to deal with it in LFS.

Come on people, that why driving the BF1 takes concentration and precicision. bah humbug.

#11 - Woz
The other solution is that if you have the following

- wheel and arms off
- Real dials, not virtual

LFS should realise that you can't see the dials in cars with them on the wheel and switch to wheel on and arms off for cars where the dials are on the wheel. This is a temporary switch that will revert when you go to other cars.
That's a sensible idea, I like it.
#13 - hk_
I think that if you are driving in cockpit view with arms and wheel off

the best would be:
the wheel display should just be displayed at the same point as if the wheel would be on, just without the wheel around it and not moving (this would look a bit strange I think ).

almost acceptable (maybe a temporary solution) as said before:
locked wheel.

Hope the developers can add this feature without much trouble.
Quote from Becky Rose :I have a computer display on my kart wheel and when I turn the wheel it moves too... There's nowehere to mount it stationary...

Does your kart's computer display also redisplay your wheel, arms and hands?

I didn't think so!

I think (and I already posted a suggestion on this matter) that there needs to be a virtual mode that would just display the LCD. For the FO8 and BF1, it'd need to rotate to be fair to others who are using the wheel.

I find the wheel/arms being drawn on the screen just obnoxious.
+1

the option to display a fixed wheel would be fine for me ... a display mounted at the monocoque of the formulas like the FOX or the McLaren Mercedes in rl would be perfect

also, it would be useful to change the break balance directly without having to press F11 aso
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :bah humbug

Huh????

Formulas: cockpit & intruments problem
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG