The online racing simulator
Insim control over autox
(4 posts, started )
#1 - Woz
Insim control over autox
It would be good to get one of the following types of control over AutoX objects via in/sim

1) Add/remove via in-sim commands, probably harder to do as need valid X,Y,Z and also less practical to use.
2) Enable/Disable objects in a layout so they appear or not. This allows you to create the master layout first then switch out objects by location/id etc.

The second option is probably the easiest to do, although there are issues to resolve such as if you add/remove checkpoint markers.

The drive behind the request is a different style of race idea I would like to implement and would work well on multi layout tracks. Though I would see what people thought.

The basic concept being.
  • You start at the normal start line and the first 2 checkpoints are placed.
  • Each section of track between two layout forks forks is a potential checkpoint location.
  • When the first person passes through a checkpoint a new one is placed on a checkpoint location off one of the branches at the next split in the track.
  • The oldest checkpoints removed once all passed through that are still active.
  • Race length is controled by number of checkpoints.
  • Makes pit stops interesting as you have to risk waiting for a checkpoint that passes it or take a detor if you get low on gas and cant risk it.
  • Map would need to show checkpoint locations.
This would need some changes in race rules in LFS but not sure if that would be a large impact, depends on how its done at the mo.

The good thing is it would mix things and cause errors as less flow, you are never sure what corner to set up for until a bit before

I think this will also have a side effect of giving a great set of general use setups because tuned setups for a specific layout would not help.

The rally tracks could bring life back to rally in LFS as well.
Scawen has been working on option 1 for a week or more now
Quote from Woz :
  • When the first person passes through a checkpoint a new one is placed on a checkpoint location off one of the branches at the next split in the track.

I assume the InSim does this on random basis, otherwise layout designer has a bit of an advantage.

Are AutoX checkpoints numbered? Not that it really matters I suppose, as Insim would just have rule that when checkpoint 1 is passed, checkpoint 2 is placed at one of a number of predifined X/Y/Z locations, one of which is chosen at random.

Along with placing subsequent checkpoints, you could place signage, arrows, etc., to guide you to next checkpoint, all of which are loaded along with specific checkpoint.

I would have thought it rather a large ask to get checkpoints put on a map though, at least until S3 out.

Good idea though.

But I do foresee a lot of pile-ups at each turn!

Especially for people like me that have the reflexes of a dead cat.

Of course, you could really have fun by putting down random checkpoints on a track pre-race, but no signs, along with invisible marshall markers sometime after a wrong turn, or better yet, a series of turns, so that people going wrong way and hitting these get thrown back into pits to start again.

Or.

Small checkpoints and small marshall areas on same straight or long turn, and depending on your racing line, you either get thru or pitted.

You could call these 'minefield racing'!

EDIT/

Further thought; Would InSim would need to be able to disable SHIFT-U command, or is it just admins that can see where objects (especially checkpoints and marshalls) are placed?
#4 - Woz
Yep, the checkpoints would be random so every race is different using different corner sequences.

Again with the ability to switch in/out objects and the new 800 item limit in autox it means you could place cones on the corners to "close" off invalid routes but that would make it harder to get to the pits if you needed.

Its only once this is up and running that the fine details are ironed out

I will keep an eye on the test patch to see what that brings up as sounds like there is some dev in this area.

It might cause some crashes until people get used to it but I think this sort of driving makes for better drivers as far harder to get into a rhythm as it is not the same x corners lap after lap in same sequence.

I see a lot of people calling the patch the cruise patch but it opens up many posibilities

Insim control over autox
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG