The online racing simulator
Demo -->> S1/S2 spectating
(28 posts, started )
I have an idea, to sell more S1/S2 lisences:

If Demo drivers accualy could see how action is done on S1/S2 servers, they might buy a lisence sooner.

My idea:
*Let demo players connect to S1/S2 servers.
*They can NOT join race.
*They can NOT chat.
*If server is full, and S1/S2 user connect, they will be autokicked, or autokick to always keep one spot free on server.
*Server hosts can themselves deside if they want this feature( /demospec=yes/no)

In this way Demo users can see what is avalible in multiplayer: clean racing, n00b free servers, dedicated servers for drifting/cruise(I know, RACE sim, but it accualy sells )
Well they kinda can do it via Remote or then live stream (not so often), but it isn't good enough to understand the S2 driving. I say that your idea is quite good, but we'll have to listen what the devs have to say about this tho.
+1 enable viewing but +1 without taking a connection slot away from those who plan to drive and have S2 licenses - in other word - a readonly connection that doesnt take server slots away from S2 drivers that wish to connect.
Interesting Idea, but open to abuse possibly. But I can see the benefits for a demo user unsure about wether to take the plunge or not.
The problem I see there is plenty of S2 Footage on the internet and on LFS Website and here on the forums.
Is it worth the work involved and then the upkeep of the system you suggest.
In what way is a "open to abuse"?

They can't chat nor join race, they just can watch nothing more

I like the idea, but is right abot one thing, there are toooonnnnsss of video showing s2 content and some other stuff...
#6 - hp999
IMHO there should be a "tool" to let them do that, but I can't really see the point of it since almost every single demo user(who's hooked to LFS ofcourse) is going to buy S2 sooner or later. Demo is just a taste of S2.
It slipped my mind for a moment too but I personally would not like to see this happen.

On the busier servers this constant connecting/disconnecting of an enormous amount of 'spectators' would not make the servers any happier.

LFS remote and Youtube should be enough for demo users to understand whats going on.
One more thing that would have to be checked is, that when a demo racer posts an S2 footage of a race, we won't know if it's from the "spec" mode or if he is actually using a crack.
Quote from Flame CZE :One more thing that would have to be checked is, that when a demo racer posts an S2 footage of a race, we won't know if it's from the "spec" mode or if he is actually using a crack.

I would say add an overlay in the corner, saying something like "LFS Spec mode"
Quote from hp999 :I can't really see the point of it since almost every single demo user(who's hooked to LFS ofcourse) is going to buy S2 sooner or later.

Really?

Just have a look at LFSW's top distance/wins/etc charts. They are partly filled with demo racers who have been playing for months/years, but never bought S2 so far. And you can hardly argue they're not hooked.

Demo is filled of people of this kind, who love the game but stay on demo for a long while, for different reasons.

What personally kept me away from buy S2 for several months was that I had no real way to check S2 servers quality(whether racing was cleaner than on demo, whether racers were friendly or not, etc) by myself. Sure, there is LFSW and remote, but it's a tad hard to judge only on it(not to mention that not all servers have remote enabled). Sure, there are vids online, but sadly most of them are extremely poor, either dealing of mods, stunts, or pointless stuff, they do not give a great overview of S2.

I belive I personally would've made the move earlier if I had access to a feature of this kind. So why not, could be an interresting idea.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :*quote*

What made me buy S2 was lack of competitive racing and people acting like complete idiots. I agree on the fact that there are SOME guys out there who have been demo users for ages - it's their own matter whether they want more content or master the cars that are offered in the demo version. I can even remember a few demo guys (when I used to be a demoer) who have bought S2. Part of them are active, part of them have quit.

I find the LFSRemote useless when it comes to judging the quality of S2 servers. But from the other hand, it is a great tool if you ever wanted to sneak on some one.
I don't think most of the S2 server admins would enable it. Simply a waste of bandwidth.

But if some big servers choose to support this idea, good.

About crack check: Once this is applied, telling spectating screenshots from crack ones will be impossible. A "spec" logo won't work. PSers can recreate that in 5 min.

Off topic: How about allow lyt on BL3 in demo ?
What made me to want S2 was this forum,to be more precise - Leagues and events section,saw a lot of competitions where I wanted to race.

But this topic threw some other idea - maybe would be good to create some sort of a mediator thing (don't know how to call it) - that mediator connects to original server and picks up all the data (car positions etc,like every normal LFS client) and then others can connect to that mediator server and receive all that data - see the whole race like they would be in race server,chat among themselves and meybe even demo racers can connect to that mediator server to see what's happening. That would mean only one extra connection to original race server,but a lots of people could follow race event. Well,I hope you get the idea!
A little livestream on http://www.lfs.net/ would be nice to have. Just cover a popular S2 server 24/7.
if DEMO want look at s1/s2 servers he must use LFSRemote =)
Quite some time back this was talked about (LFS spectate?). My suggestion back then was to encapsulate a replay file as a broadcast rtp stream.

I've experimented with VideoLan that can render directx to a transport stream from a client connected as spectator. This only takes one slot on the server, and can be done on another remote server to feed the live stream. I had mixed results however, and perhaps someone with better kit than me might have more luck.

Quote from =Wolf=[NO] :
My idea:
*Let demo players connect to S1/S2 servers.

Using a stream there would be no LFS connection other than the official spectator.
Quote :
*They can NOT join race.

Same as above.
Quote :
*They can NOT chat.

Can be provided for via IM server.
Quote :
*If server is full, and S1/S2 user connect, they will be autokicked, or autokick to always keep one spot free on server.

Not needed if using the official one spectator slot.
Quote :
*Server hosts can themselves deside if they want this feature( /demospec=yes/no)

Server admins can decide not to allow the streamed spectator.
Quote :
In this way Demo users can see what is avalible in multiplayer: clean racing, n00b free servers, dedicated servers for drifting/cruise(I know, RACE sim, but it accualy sells )

I totally agree with this last point. I have long wished for a method of watching the big races without having to take up a slot, or having to wait for edited highlights.

The streamed method would work on services like Ustream, which also has a chat client attached. Another benefit of this method would be that the spectating streaming server could also be human controlled.

Anyone fancy trying thier hand at race coverage directing?

[Edit]
The old thread is LFS TV and I seem to recall an even older one that was on RSC "Live to Spectate"

These threads should be read too:
Guide : Broadcasting LFS
OLFSL Streaming
LFS-TV, replay streaming.
[/edit]
Quote from Flame CZE :One more thing that would have to be checked is, that when a demo racer posts an S2 footage of a race, we won't know if it's from the "spec" mode or if he is actually using a crack.

Oh so instead of basing this idea on it's merit the best you can come up with is to see whether it allows people who are licensed to troll demo users? Really?
#19 - e6o1
my idea..
..my idea is,
dont show me the demo servers in the server browser - i dont need em
Here's another idea... that basically worked for me:
enabling a demo user S2 content but only in offline mode (for a limited time perhaps, but demos can create a new account every day, so...).

That way they would be able to try all cars and tracks, record sprs, but without the possibility to upload their hotlaps to lfsw or play online unless they buy the license. They can train themselves with the "big cars" and once you have the feeling you are good at it, you just can not wait to test yourself with other racers.

As I said, it worked for me... I saw the livestream, saw the sim was really good, searched the net and found a cracked older version. Tried the cars for a month or so and than bought S2 straight.

By that time demo version was offering only XFG, XRG and XRT on BL... if that was the only thing I could try I would've never bought the license as I don't like low grip cars and I hate Blackwood.

(Judge me if you want, but that's what led me to actually reward the devs for their work.)
I think it would be a good idea, but I myself used the remote before hand... if I'd seen the live racing like in the suggested mannor I would have jumped sooner It would be nice if they were given the connecting ability as suggested, but I also like the idea of a on/off switch for this feature for leagues and such. I think it would be best if it was automatic that all of these demo spectaors be kicked from the server when the connection number gets within 10 of full as well.

I don't see any big issues with it as long as it doesn't lag the action (no spec issue when new people are joining that we have currently, ect). I quite like this
Idea...

Allow Demo users watch S1/S2 Replays!
They can catch all the action (even League/Champ races), without affecting any servers! Just download someones posted replay to watch it in their own time offline... and even get a glimpse of the best racing leagues out there!

I'm all for something along the lines of SourceTV.
Just an idea: Opening all content for all players for one week
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :Just an idea: Opening all content for all players for one week

There would definitely be some abuses. Nothing would prevent people from creating a new account every week.

Quote from TripperCR :Idea...

Allow Demo users watch S1/S2 Replays!

They can catch all the action (even League/Champ races), without affecting any servers! Just download someones posted replay to watch it in their own time offline... and even get a glimpse of the best racing leagues out there!

Great idea IMO.

(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG