The online racing simulator
NVIDIA texture filtering / AF bug [SOLVED]
When selecting AF level of 2x or higher, the 2D textures become corrupt in the menus, and the car shadows disappear during races and replays. Doesn't happen with AF set to off or 1x settings. Textures remain messed up until setting the AF back to off or 1x, then closing and restarting the program.

1. AF set to 1x, everything fine.
2. AF set to 2x (or anything higher), textures gone.
3. All 2D menu textures become like this.
4. Ingame car shadows disappear also.

I think this only happens with a GTX 580, tried all three drivers currently released for the graphics card, and they all had the same problem in LFS. Everything worked fine on my 8800 GTX with the same drivers though. OS is Windows 7 x64.

Not sure is it a driver or an LFS issue, just a heads up for Scawen really.
Attached images
lfs_00000001.jpg
lfs_00000002.jpg
lfs_00000003.jpg
lfs_00000004.jpg
You're not the only one having a problem with GTX 500 series card. I suggest you report a bug to nVidia as this is clearly a driver issue.
I have big doubt that Nvidia will give attention to this issue as LFS is minority market for them and LFS using very old DirectX implementaion which is simply phased out. Still this should be reported to them. Maybe better solution would be Scawen to fix it.

I saw lately so many issue with GTX500 series from NVIDIA having problem with LFS unfortunately. I guess it might have something with DirectX implemantation in LFS.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :
I saw lately so many issue with GTX500 series from NVIDIA having problem with LFS unfortunately. I guess it might have something with DirectX implemantation in LFS.

It doesn't. LFS has been working perfectly on nVidia cards since 2003 and it's only now that the latest nVidia products are having problems. Nothing has changed in LFS's 3D engine so something must have happened in the drivers or DirectX. Because no other hardware exhibits such issue, it's pretty safe to assume it's the drivers that have a regression.

From what I've learned from the posts in this forum the problem manifests when anisotropic texture filter is enabled. The GTX500 series is based on the same Fermi architecture the GTX400 series has and it works with LFS perfectly. A good test would be to run another DirectX 8 based application (like 3DMark 2001) with AF enabled to see if the issue is LFS-specific.

On a more complex note, if nVidia (or any other SW/HW manufacturer) decided to drop support of a widely used API like DX8, they'd have to ANNOUNCE it IN ADVANCE to give developers a chance to adapt their programs. I'm not aware of such announcement and my personal experience says that nVidia has no intention to don't give a crap about old APIs.
A while back there was a nasty bug in nVidia drivers that caused transparent textures in CS 1.6 to be drawn completely black. CS 1.6 uses a GoldSource 3D engine which is nothing but a modified Quake 2 engine... ans yes, it's now over 12 years old. It took nVidia a couple of weeks, but they eventually fixed their drivers and CS 1.6 still works under Win7 x64 and GTX 470.

I'm sorry for such a lengthy post, but please take your time and really read it before commenting on it.
LFS is DX7 with some DX8 features and LFS is not Counterstrike
You live probably in ideal world but the drivers are optimized for most known titles and modern DirectX like DX9-DX11.

Maybe I did not express my self in previous post but I mean that drivers are not optimized for old DX8 engines and old games...hence the easy issue with AF filtering in new drivers.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :LFS is DX7 with some DX8 features and LFS is not Counterstrike

I don't know why should that make any difference, nVidia's been fixing even smaller and stupider bugs in their drivers.

Quote from DEVIL 007 :
You live probably in ideal world but the drivers are optimized for most known titles and modern DirectX like DX9-DX11.

Maybe I did not express my self in previous post but I mean that drivers are not optimized for old DX8 engines and old games...hence the easy issue with AF filtering in new drivers.

An ideal world? Hardly. DX8 implementation might not be pulling the top notch performance, but I don't think that anyone cares if LFS can run at 5000 or 8000 FPS on a GTX 500 series card. However, there is a serious difference between optimization and functionality and right now the functionality is broken. I suppose that DX8 implementation doesn't go though as intensive testing as DX9+ does, so that's the reason this bug's been missed, but it's not the nVidia abandoning anything that doesn't use DX9 and beyond. They've had DX5, 6, 7 and 8 implementation in their drivers for years, it's not like they have to develop it all over again when a new series of graphics chips comes out.
I remember reading somewhere that about 90 % of nVidia drivers code is platform independent. That means it can be used with no modifications on 32bit XP with x86 Intel CPU or 64bit Solaris with SPARC. I'm mentioning this to demonstrate how small amount of code is needed for specific OS and API integration.

I honestly don't want to start a petty fight here, I just think that you're blaming LFS for something that goes completely on account of nVidia.
Quote from MadCatX :
A good test would be to run another DirectX 8 based application (like 3DMark 2001) with AF enabled to see if the issue is LFS-specific.

LFS is the only DX8 program I've tried that has the AF problem.
#8 - Bean0
Have you tried forcing AA/AF through the control centre rather than in-game ?
Quote from MadCatX :
I honestly don't want to start a petty fight here, I just think that you're blaming LFS for something that goes completely on account of nVidia.

You have to fight basically about everything. This not the best thread. I am not blaming LFS or that`s the issue in LFS but we cant know for sure.

I am just saying that LFS will not get that much attention if any because:

- DX7/8 engine
- Low market share

NVIDIA will focus whats most important for them and that`s simple fact but I still hope when the bug will be reported they will fix it.
Quote from Bean0 :Have you tried forcing AA/AF through the control centre rather than in-game ?

Yeah, seems to work by forcing it from drivers.
Quote from Matrixi :Yeah, seems to work by forcing it from drivers.

I suppose that points to a problem with LFS's implementation of it then ?
Did we get to any conclusion here? I can't seem to find any
Edit: It's now working properly.
all works great with latest beta 295.73 drivers on my gtx 580
Quote from numbazZ :all works great with latest beta 295.73 drivers on my gtx 580

Those aren't beta, I had the problem as well and it also fixed my issue so I recommend to upgrade to the newest WHQL driver.

NVIDIA texture filtering / AF bug [SOLVED]
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG