The online racing simulator
F1 TV gauge
(19 posts, started )
F1 TV gauge
I have made a program which shows a gauge known from F1 TV broadcasts

- to run correctly requires at least Java version 1.6.0-10
- it is a transparent Java window, so it is visible only if LFS will run in a window too
- with left mouse button down you can move gauge around the screen
- right mouse button brings up a menu with settings, start and end connection

you can download it from http://www.uloz.to/7172052/f1tvgauge-zip
Attached images
f1tvgauge.png
f1tvgauge2.png
Quote from HonzaNB :I have made a program which shows a gauge known from F1 TV broadcasts

- it is a transparent Java window, so it is visible only if LFS will run in a window too

Sweet!
Quote from HonzaNB :I have made a program which shows a gauge known from F1 TV broadcasts

Something useful to come out of Java! (I kid, I kid!) To bad it only works in windowed mode, but I guess you would have to make DX calls to make it work full screen. Anyway, I've wanted this for a long, long while so great job!
EDIT: Right I downloaded and started the thing. Guess what, nothing happened.

I did /insim=29999 just as It says in settings, port 29999. Then I started it in LFS and LFS gives me back the massage.
InSim - UDP : F1 TV gauge (port 30000)
OutGauge : already enabled by cfg.txt
I confirm it doesn't work when there is another OutGauge port already specified in cfg.txt. I also couldn't get the transparent window to be always on top in W7 x64.
BTW, a small suggestion. The rev counter is now fixed to 10k RPM which is OK for most of the cars except MRT and BF1.
Quote from MadCatX :I confirm it doesn't work when there is another OutGauge port already specified in cfg.txt. I also couldn't get the transparent window to be always on top in W7 x64.
BTW, a small suggestion. The rev counter is now fixed to 10k RPM which is OK for most of the cars except MRT and BF1.

Any idea how to solve it mate?
When I set OutGauge Mode to 0 it worked fine except for the always on top thing...
To make it transparent check your Java version. I run it on XP and W7 x64 and it is transparent on both OS. Try to download and install newest Java.

Sometimes it is problem with connection, I try to fix it.

Maybe, I made gauges better fit with rev counter and speed to any car in next version.
Nice program! Everything worked for me except the fact that it's often lagging heavily if the program is running and it adopts odd values (e.g. 53th gear) during those lag periods.

I hope you continue working on this. It could be of use if it's working properly - for onboard laps on YouTube or broadcasts showing a lap around the circuit.
Great work.

But for me it runs on my destkop, but not on lfs.
I had java 1.0.6_20-b02
Quote from Feuerdrache :I hope you continue working on this. It could be of use if it's working properly - for onboard laps on YouTube or broadcasts showing a lap around the circuit.

Tried to record this overlay with fraps but it only recorded the LFS window
Quote from HonzaNB :To make it transparent check your Java version. I run it on XP and W7 x64 and it is transparent on both OS. Try to download and install newest Java.

Sometimes it is problem with connection, I try to fix it.

Maybe, I made gauges better fit with rev counter and speed to any car in next version.

Quote from boothy :Tried to record this overlay with fraps but it only recorded the LFS window

Whether people can use translucency/transparency also depends on how exactly you've chosen to implement it. I downloaded your zip but noticed you didn't include the source in there. I cba to 'decompile' your class files, but you might find this article and the "AWTUtilitiesWrapper" class in the TranslucentShapes project in particular handy. This could also help with people who have problems recording the overlay. I did a small proof of concept application in the same area a while back using some of the techniques in the article above. Here's a sample video of it.
@amp88:
How exactly did you capture that video? I'm wondering because I fail to see the benefit of using TranslucentShapes if this case. Honza's app seems to create a JPanel with transparent background (using awt.AlphaComposite) in which it then draws the gauges. I haven't done any testing of my own, but I guess that at least Fraps wouldn't capture the gauges no matter how do you create the transparency.

BTW, I really like the G-force meter

EDIT: After taking an actual look at the app it seems to be using AWTUtilities to create the transparent main window, so whatever the problem is, it's not this. Am I correct assuming that you didn't use Fraps to capture that video?
cant download it Says Page was not found
Bump - download not working, can people please upload somewhere again?
Alright yeah massive bump I know, but I have this same issue start it works, only in windowed and then you cant FRAPs it. Anyone got any ideas how to work it out. I updated Java to absolutely latest version and well yeh im still on Win Xp, but still should work with small tweaks if anyone has time and knowledge to do so.

Perhaps, Feuerdrache has some trick up his sleave, since I see he has posted quite a bit of stuff on youtube with this, looks quite cool btw.
You'd probably have to use other tool than FRAPS to capture the screen.
I'm not familiar with other programs.

F1 TV gauge
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG