The online racing simulator
favorite's and folders
(22 posts, started )
favorite's and folders
i have 2 things to suggest. one has been suggested before, but it is a wonderful idea.

folders for setups. for example i would have a race folder, a drift folder, an off road folder, and a miscellaneous folder for most cars. and inside each folder, i might have another for each track. like in my race folder i would have another folder for blackwood, another for aston, another for kyoto, and ect.

this could also be used to help with organising the limited setup option that scawen is implementing. there could be a little selection, or a little icon next to each set that says if it fits the criteria for the limited setup. if you change it, it dissapears, if you put it back exactly where it needs to be, it goes back.

another suggestion is a way to favorite servers. like the only servers i go on right now are [ltc] live to cruise, cargame.nl s2, 42d driftwars, and [AA] demo gti.

i would love to be able to just be able to quickly select those servers, and be off. or if you want to keep tabs on that server, but its a hard name to remember.

i dont think either of these are hard to implement. you just gotta code them in, there isnt much figuring out cause its all in the menu itself.
Quote from logitekg25 :folders for setups. for example i would have a race folder, a drift folder, an off road folder, and a miscellaneous folder for most cars. and inside each folder, i might have another for each track. like in my race folder i would have another folder for blackwood, another for aston, another for kyoto, and ect.

I dont want so many folders!
Cant you just rename your setup files so you can find them easily?

I've named mine starting with the trackcodes. (BL1r, KY3, AS7r etc.)
If you want to specifilly sort out your sets for Race, Drift etc, renamed starting with R, D, O, and M.
As in,
BL1 XFG race set would start with: RBL1... (this is for in-game renaming, if not use (XFG_RBL1... etc)
RB4 FE1 hillclimb set (offroad?): OFE1AlesMhillclimb etc
UFR stoppie set (Misc.) : Mstoppie..

Save your sets like that and then sort them ingame using "name" and you're done. Of course most people only use "race" sets, so simply renaming them starting with the trackcode is easier.

If you're one of the many who use "dskgfhadsoih" or "53kdnkgsnkng2tmsdn" to rename your sets, good luck with the folders

Edit:
I always join via specific for my favorite server. If its one of my favorite servers, I'd have no trouble remembering my name. Plus, I'd like to jump around an race/cruise in random servers rather than sticking to a select few all the time. That said, know a favorite list for servers would be [sort of] beneficial for some.

You can do the following (but just refreshing the server list is so easy)
Add people to your buddy list who are almost always connected to your fav servers (or at least the ones who are usually connected aroudn the time you join in...)

Now say that you've added about 4 people each who usually are in each of your favorite servers. Go to LFSWorld and click on Live Alert. In the Web Alert tab, you can see the hosts your mates are currently connected to. (This is great for stalking!)

And oh, clicking on the host name on that page will show you the host status (track, cars allowed etc - the stuff you see in the host list). Click the name again and you'd be able to see who else is racing/connected at the moment.
i like using many folders

and i have like ALOT of sets, especially for the rb4, and xrt, cause the rb4 i have some for offroading, some for destruction derby, banger racing, racing, drift, and a bunch of random sets. and the xrt..you can just imagine.

what about the favorites for the servers.
Quote from logitekg25 :
and i have like ALOT of sets, especially for the rb4, and xrt, cause the rb4 i have some for offroading, some for destruction derby, banger racing, racing, drift, and a bunch of random sets.

Again, use a set naming convention and you'll be fine.
Offroading: OR (or just O)
Bangerracing: B
Derby: Use a letter other than D to prevent the sets sorting in with the Drift sets...
etc

When you select a car, you'll only see sets for that specific car, so I really dont see what the issue is.

You can use upto 14 (?) characters to rename the sets. Use them wisely.

Just to clarify: If you use a naming convention like above (+ with track code where reqd' / more info) and sort the sets by name, do you really need Scawen to code folders for sets?
well i think it could just make things alot easier
Quote from logitekg25 :well i think it could just make things alot easier

Ok then, how would you like this to appear in-game?

Something like a Folders button? The button which would bring up all the folders in lfs/data/sets (something like the screen when you choose "new colours"). Then you would be able to click the folder which would load all the sets.

All good? Not quite. This brings up a slight problem. Currently, if you hit "new set" it would be based on the currently selected set. Say you want to name a new RB4 Derby set off the Banger Racer set (bear with me ). Your Derby will be made in the Banger Racer folder. Scavier will have to configure copy/paste sets in folders as well.

And something will be need to be done when you recive a set in-game. Will there be a prompt to select a folder to save the set?

Quote from logitekg25 :i dont think either of these are hard to implement.

:rolleyes:

[O/T btw wasnt there a smilie that was like but when side to side signifying "no"]
well i was thinking we could just add a folder with a button, then drag a set into that folder. then shen you wanna move a set from a folder, you drag it out of the folder or something. and if you get a set it goes into the main part like it would be now.
Quote from logitekg25 :well i was thinking we could just add a folder with a button, then drag a set into that folder. then shen you wanna move a set from a folder, you drag it out of the folder or something. and if you get a set it goes into the main part like it would be now.

LFS dont have drag/drop in-game iirc. Yay, something else for Scawen's to-do list.
well your one person who doesnt think this is a good idea.
Quote from logitekg25 :well your one person who doesnt think this is a good idea.

Well, I try to think of it as "dont try to fix it if it aint broken". A solution to your little dilemma would be use a naming convention, not get the Devs to code alot of stuff.

I started out nice enough
yeah but i have multiple sets for one thing, like i have a WIP set for many things. and idk i dont think the naming thing will work, i think it will just confuse.
Quote from logitekg25 :well your one person who doesnt think this is a good idea.

I'm another who doesn't think the setup folders are a good idea. Also, you're fairly naive when it comes to estimating how much time and effort a change requires (especially when you aren't actually able to describe what you want to happen in the interface, nevermind in the back-end).

Server 'favourites' are a good idea but, like the folders, they've been suggested numerous times before.
server favorites was my major one, but the setup folders would just for me make interface much easier. and the little icon next to the setup if it falls into the requirements for the limited setup option. and another thing that might confuse you. if the icon is there, you click on it and you cant change outside of the peramiters.
You can use colours in your setups, it's better than letters at the beginning
DRI_XRG_BL1
RA_BF1_Fe4R

Doesn't that make it easier? Just rename your sets to that, Use a colour code so it's easier if you have long names, Problem solved, Favorites +1 | Setup folder -1

Quote from TehPaws3D :DRI_XRG_BL1
RA_BF1_Fe4R

Doesn't that make it easier? Just rename your sets to that, Use a colour code so it's easier if you have long names, Problem solved, Favorites +1 | Setup folder -1

Hey Paws, you dont need to have the car prefix *hint* inside the name itself.

i.e. if you look at the DRI_XRG_BL1 in the lfs/data/sets folder it would looks like "XRG_DRI_XRG_BL1.set" or the same without ".set". You need to have the Prefix in front when dealing with sets outside of LFS...

And if choose the XRG, you would see a set called "DRI_XRG_BL1". No need to have the XRG bit in the name coz when you select the XRG, you only see XRG sets. I'm getting repetitive.

PS: Thanks for changing your font!
folders would be great if you could custom name them. cant see this as a bad suggestion anyhow. It's more than annoying to scroll through thousands of setups.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :folders would be great if you could custom name them. cant see this as a bad suggestion anyhow. It's more than annoying to scroll through thousands of setups.

Quote from Silverracer :Hey Paws, you dont need to have the car prefix *hint* inside the name itself.

i.e. if you look at the DRI_XRG_BL1 in the lfs/data/sets folder it would looks like "XRG_DRI_XRG_BL1.set" or the same without ".set". You need to have the Prefix in front when dealing with sets outside of LFS...

And if choose the XRG, you would see a set called "DRI_XRG_BL1". No need to have the XRG bit in the name coz when you select the XRG, you only see XRG sets. I'm getting repetitive.

PS: Thanks for changing your font!

After I read that, My face went from To -> And after checking the folder.. Seeing what I have done, My face was ->:doh:

And two many people complained so, Arial will work..
never knew you could change color

that might help

but now i need notes for setups, so i can explain if i forget the color codes :doh:
Well, I'm going to back logitek on this idea. Naming convention is fine but it still doesn't solve many problems, for example if you have a LOT of setups, scrolling through them to find the one you want can get inconvenient.
I'm imagining a setup grouping similar to contacts grouping you have in IM clients (WLM, Skype, ...). You would drag the setups around to place them in groups and fold or unfold these groups to display just the setups you want.
and you dont need to use them..so it could be the same

favorite's and folders
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG