The online racing simulator
A small rant concerning the effects of Maailman nopein kansa on LFS S2
I'm not sure that everyone has heard of Maailman nopein kansa(yes, strange name, Google Translator couldn't give any reliable translation anyway). Therefore I am gonna present it roughly. It was a TV program broadcasted by the Finnish MTV3 TV channel in 2009. It was based on an online contest using LFS demo with FBM @ bl1. Basically the people taking part had to make races on that combo, and the best would be invited to the TV show in the end. There was a prize given to the winner also, can't recall what.

After the contest it turned out that many, a huge amount of people created accounts to take part in the contest. Today there are 35,885 Finnish LFSers who have got an account at LFSW according to spdo Database. This is absoluetely huge considering that Finland only has had 5,367,188 inhabitants in 2010 according to Wikipedia. The second nation, Poland, only has 14,642 licenses for 38,192,000 inhabitants. Sadly I can't tell how many created their account only for the purpose of taking part to MNK since I don't know how many Finnish LFSers there was 18 months ago - perhaps someone could help me on that one.

Most of them obviously never touched the game again after doing a few races on the MNK's servers, but good part of them decided to buy S2 after this. Unfortunately I can't give any precise statistics on that one either.

You might think it's a good move, "the devs are getting money with that", etc... This is true, of course. The problem is that MNK mainly attracted pre-teens who don't know a clue about the racing etiquette. They are seriously beginning to cause a problem since a big part of them are racing on NFS standards, causing havoc on most servers.

Of course we cannot do anything about these people - catch one doing something silly, punish him, mkay, but you can be sure that there are hundreds or even thousands going to come and replace that guy.

I agree on the fact that generalisations have to stop at one point. Sure, some of these guys are absoluetly fine. I've a teammate coming from this contest, he's 13 years old, ex-WR holder and taking part in some prestigious leagues, and probably is more mature than most of the people involved on LFS. But I belive he's an exception among others.

So basically to conclude this post:
  • Large-scale advertising is maybe not the good solution to boost LFS' shape as it attracts an enormous amount of randomers who mix up LFS and NFS, which is not good at all for the racing standards.
  • If a <16 years old Finnish chap who joined LFS after 2009 come onto your server, be affraid. Very affraid. Just a friendly advice, keep 1 1/2 eyes on him.
/rant

PS: I'm not racist. This post is only describing the possible effects of mass-advertising on small simulators of the kind of LFS. It's not critisizing the behaviour of Finland's youngsters in any way. Do the same contest anywhere else, you'll probably end up with the same result. In some ways thanks heaven they did it in Finland, if they did it in the UK/France/Italy/Spain/Germany we would have ended up with 10x more nutters of this kind because of the bigger amount of inhabitants.
You are so wrong. In all the ways.
Jouman was one of the finalists and even though he's cute, he's not a teen(and he's quite good at racing too).

And what if the teens get an account and tests the game? 95% realises they are bitches and can't drive(not true to Finland cause there 95% could actually drive(mostly gravel rally but)) and don't play agian.
I agree that NFS kiddies are kinda annoying and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car (real or virtual), but as Andreas above said, if it doesn't grip in hairpin at 300kph, they realise it's not wort their precious time and away they go. And if they by some miracle go in the S2 adn still act like beaches, there's always global ban to help.

Also i can see this thread turning into big "discussion", but i think it's kinda pointless.
#4 - Hahmo
Oh my gosh Yann, you hate me?
I found LFS from MNK and hate MNK now. They do not inform anything about LFS tbh, most of MNK players have no clue what lfs is - some of them know though that there is such game.

I don't see myself as MNK player. I registered my account (Hahmo) from there but played for few weeks only, then started to visit servers such as AA and Redline racing's demos. After couple of months I saw MoE broadcast and since then I've hated MNK and their work. Its just shiet. I got S2 few weeks after that and immediately started to work on GTR's, and after a month or two I was actually racing in GTAL

So yann personally, do you hate me (srsly) from now on because i'm from MNK? I think there can be mature people aswell, like me, or I think i'm much from mature from many other finns but meh.. What yee think laadds
You're an Irish Finn, doesn't count
#6 - Hahmo
Live for speed: Underground 2 (DUB Edition)
Let me just say, that as a person living in the USA, it really sucks to be the only guy in a RMS server, or logging into a latin American/Columbia server with a ping of over 9000, only to lead the race and get timed out just before the final lap. At this point, I would rather race with some crappy 13 year old idiot who can't drive than by myself.

Noobs are all around us. They is always going to be a 60% noob ratio in any online game, racing sim or not. I know how annoying and frustrating a noob in a racing sim can be, (It's more frustrating to deal with noobs while driving than any other type of game,) but if you can't cope with the fact that noobs are out there, than you shouldn't be playing online to begin with.

I think it's unfair to say that the developers of Live For Speed should miss out on potential success just because noobs get on your nerves. I don't like noobs either, but the developers of LFS should be as successful as they want to be. This isn't some FREE GAME we're talking about, this is a business, and if that business isn't successful, then LFS will always be in bad "Shape".
So essentially what you're saying is discriminate against all kids regardless of the way they actually are? There are some kids more mature than adults, you know.

Besides, why assume that everybody who plays NFS doesn't know how to drive, or can't enjoy LFS for what it is? Some people enjoy both.

I'm getting tired of this elitism some people seem to favor in LFS.
#9 - Fuse5
this is just a rant. the ones who are not interested in the game, won't play it, the one's only playing it for MNK, don't even know its LFS and the ones who are interested will play it like they mean it.

Who cares what percentage the licenseholders make up compared to the overall population figures..
You are just being elitist right now, which is slightly understandable, and more so not acceptable really. You are just saying they are too young to be playing Live For Speed, with no ideas about racing etiquette... how else are they going to learn, if at all? If this is not racist/elitist (in essence), then what is?

Bottom line is, choose your battle's wisely. Public racing lost its appeal with the several falls of proper adminned public racing. Leagues still keep me going.

Please get an additional hobby Yann :/
meh, I don't see the real harm from this. You lose some, you gain some, doesn't mean that all new players are crashers. If this kids don't like the game, they will just leave it, the rest you will just have to deal with.
I came to LFS via MNK. First I founded this is an interresting game, when I was in my first race or something in MNK, some guy rammed me in T1. Disconnected and meh. I didnt even understand that there was demo servers, I was just drving MNK events. When I got my S2, I camo to [SR] Fox racing or something what was populated then. The racing feeling was great, allthrought I was driving whit mouse. When I got my wheel, what wasnt good, but desent still, I came more and more better. LFS-Suomi helped me alot in driving, shame that community isnt running anymore. There was MNK problem too, forums were spammed by MNK users by stupid stuff. I dont hate MNK, but they are taking too much credit about it, word LFS isnt sayed in anything. Yes, I was sayed in OP, I had a WR and im driving in some good leagues. But the main thing what I hate, that when Im looking some F1 news in Mtv3 site, allmost half of those news there are about MNK! Like, pro series is running! Who cares, I would like to read F1 news, not about MNK.

Probably, this post didibnt make any sense, but desided to post it anyways.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :I'm not sure that everyone has heard of Maailman nopein kansa(yes, strange name, Google Translator couldn't give any reliable translation anyway).

"World's fastest nation"

Quote :e I am gonna present it roughly. It was a TV program broadcasted by the Finnish MTV3 TV channel in 2009. It was based on an online contest using LFS demo with FBM @ bl1. Basically the people taking part had to make races on that combo, and the best would be invited to the TV show in the end. There was a prize given to the winner also, can't recall what.

Actually, it wasn't on free-to-air. The pay channel in question has about 100 000 - 125 000 subscribers. The finalists were theshyguy and huppis

Quote :After the contest it turned out that many, a huge amount of people created accounts to take part in the contest. Today there are 35,885 Finnish LFSers who have got an account at LFSW according to spdo Database. This is absoluetely huge considering that Finland only has had 5,367,188 inhabitants in 2010 according to Wikipedia. The second nation, Poland, only has 14,642 licenses for 38,192,000 inhabitants. Sadly I can't tell how many created their account only for the purpose of taking part to MNK since I don't know how many Finnish LFSers there was 18 months ago - perhaps someone could help me on that one.

The war vets also captured 3,543 soviet tanks. Ofc they weren't veterans at that time though.

Quote :
So basically to conclude this post:
  • Large-scale advertising is maybe not the good solution to boost LFS' shape as it attracts an enormous amount of randomers who mix up LFS and NFS, which is not good at all for the racing standards.
  • If a <16 years old Finnish chap who joined LFS after 2009 come onto your server, be affraid. Very affraid. Just a friendly advice, keep 1 1/2 eyes on him.
/rant

Actually, a whole new finnish LFS community was formed that I didn't even know about. The problem is they're all a bunch of zit faced Ostrabothnians who've never done any racing. Up untill now LFS has had the smartest of the Finns. Now it's brought closer to them providing easier access for the masses. A racing sim isn't something for the highly educated so we end up with people we call "amis", amis being short for 'Vocational school'. You know the type, they use their evenings rising the rear of their -82 corolla DX's, bad moustache, wearing caps inside, spitting on the floor...
Quote :
PS: I'm not racist. T

I always had the feeling you had something against me.

PS.

On a slightly different note, this is exactly why I changed the flag next to my name. (FTR I've changed it to the nation represented by whomever asks me why I've changed it.)
-
(fatalunfair) DELETED by fatalunfair
MNK brought some very nice and fast finnish racers to LFS, manneF1, Hahmo, matias- or even JHM1984 are the best examples therefore.

Of course there are also some wreckers like some people in the 'DRUNK' team but generally I would say that MNK was a very good promotion for LFS and helped to make it more popular which isnt a bad thing though.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :After the contest it turned out that many, a huge amount of people created accounts to take part in the contest.

Statistics are twisted because of many reasons. Firstly they don't talk about LFS when you join. I heard it from here first so I used my old account. Some already LFS licenced guys made new account for MNK. Secondly there is pretty much crashing (demo servers are never this bad) and crashers can do new account after a ban.

I did some races when it started. Tried it again with hope of better racing. Not gonna try it anymore because you need to buy some credits and there is still no live moderating. I am not interested to cry after the every race when there is some people to just ram others.

This whole MNK should stay out of LFS.
If it wasn't for those pesky kids!!!!

tbh lfs has always had bad drivers in it (Fuse5 for instance just wrecks people)

They make life more intresting and sometimes even add a few new chicanes on corners and even straights! :up:
#18 - SamH
When we got the BF1 in LFS, thousands of new users turned up with no idea about racing etiquette. Some were just there to wreck, but they were a minority. Unfortunately it only takes one or two expert wreckers to decimate an entire server for an evening.

Perhaps you need to think about coordinating a new barricade where servers share information about habitual wreckers. The first time around, it took probably the best part of a month or two to turn the tide. Wreckers couldn't wreck and went back to NFS. Pretty soon there was no need for a barricade.

It only takes one or two people to co-ordinate a barricade, and server operators will be glad of the help cleaning up their servers. There's no better feeling for a server admin than knowing about and being able to ban a wrecker before he even gets on the track. It just takes a bit of cross-server co-operation.

Food for thought, perhaps.
*cough* CRC *cough*
In modern world business comes mainly from advertisements and therefore LFS became +/- mainstream here, in some kind of way. That of course brings it's pros and cons. We here are only affected by cons imo, but I don't think it got us only wreckers and crashers. As stated before good people also went out from this competition and are now profit to this community. Saying this kind of competitions will only ruin us is a bit harsh tbh, because there's more pros than cons in my eyes.

Those who find this game boring or not funny will just leave, and those who will intentionally crash or wreck are/should be banned. Anyway I still think a lot of kids tried fbm @ bl1, sucked ass and then went NFS again. Those who stayed and are only ruining the game for fun would do so themselves too, without any competition needed.
Quote from Timo1992 :MNK brought some very nice and fast finnish racers to LFS, manneF1, Hahmo, matias- or even JHM1984 are the best examples therefore.

Ty alot hoover there :P
Just to add more, torpp1s has done a great job aswell :P
Now we've got few MNK players in such great teams as TEM, E-team (heheh) and even spdo. There are lot of newcomers such as GoC, Drunk, Zoom Competition. Most of the new teams though are known as crashers team but what can you do if facts are like this
Quote from Hahmo :Ty alot hoover there :P
Just to add more, torpp1s has done a great job aswell :P
Now we've got few MNK players in such great teams as TEM, E-team (heheh) and even spdo. There are lot of newcomers such as GoC, Drunk, Zoom Competition. Most of the new teams though are known as crashers team but what can you do if facts are like this

torpp1s normaly just crashes people in leagues Sorry for being a cock, but thats another fact
He doesn't. He just has bad luck :/
Quote from rich uk :If it wasn't for those pesky kids!!!!

tbh lfs has always had bad drivers in it (Fuse5 for instance just wrecks people)

They make life more intresting and sometimes even add a few new chicanes on corners and even straights! :up:

OI! Blatant lies!!!
Usually when i DO crash, it happens between me and a wall! And what i do with the wall is my business!

The wall revengewrecked..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG