The online racing simulator
LFS Photomode Competition: "Use only your own work"
After noticing the great amount of 'dump an LFS car in a real picture' type edits (I have no criticism of them - when done well they look really good), I wanted to open a discussion about this:

Quote :No renders or old images to be used. Use only your own work. NO VOB MODS

Since I started running photomode, use of others' material (e.g. from Google images) has been allowed, so long as you do not submit someone else's LFS edit and claim it as your own. I've never made it categorically clear what exactly the above rule means, and have perhaps not enforced this rule as it was intended.

LYNCE: What was intended by this rule?

But I'm wondering where I should draw the line at with regard to this rule. Where does your own work stop and others' work begin? Can you use other people's photographs to make up part of your picture?

Some great edits have been produced by including real life in LFS, or LFS in real life, so I would be reluctant to close that door. Of course, not many people will have the time, opportunity or availability of resources to take their own photographs to include in their edits (although I did one round ).

Discuss

I'm not going to change any rules for at least a few rounds, and all current edits posted in the competition thread are still 100% allowed. I just wanted some opinions on the matter, because it's always been something that i've considered but never really talked about.

#2 - 5tag
My vague guess is that it was intended to prevent stealing parts of or whole LFS edits from other people.

I think The line to draw is easy. Someone pasting an LFS car into a real picture to enter the competition should be given credit for what he has done, that means:

- how well the LFS car is integrated (spatial accuracy, adjusted contrast/colours, added reflections etc.)
- how well the choice of picture suits the theme of the competition.

Seeing such an edit I find it pretty obvious to notice what belongs to the original picture and what was edited in. Thus I only judge the work of the guy that enters the competition.

Then again it has been pointed out there's no professional jury, it's just an all public voting, so does all that really matter?
#3 - aoun
Thats right.

There is skill and knowledge required when "pasting an lfs car onto a photo". Its not easy and i strugle to do it sometimes with other stuff and im quite experienced with photoshop.

Personally IMO, if done well, looks alot better than a screenshot from LFS. So its kinda, learn how to do that or make the best damn pic from a screenshot. IMO i think it should be 100% own work, but at the same time not quite.

Its just up to you or the community on what it should be, but i think it should be one or the other, not free to choose.

Could make it either free choice, half half as in LFS screenshot with lights etc added, or completely own work.

EDIT: Just looking at latest round, i perfer your work more than anyone elses Jo53phs. Other ones look great too, but i can appreciate yours 10x more as its a screenshot. We are in a screenshot forum here.
How about making it a requirement to post/link up other sources if you used any?

i.e. You can "paste your car into a photo" but you NEED to post a link to the original so people can what you did.

If you need to push it, you can make it a requirement to post the original screenshot as well.

Maybe who ever sets the theme can state that it is a strictly "use your own work" competition where using images from the net are forbidden
Quote from 5tag : so does all that really matter?

Not really, just wanted some opinions

I think posting the image source of any images you may have used is fine, and I'm, pleased to see some people are already doing this

I'm gonna adjust the rules anyway to clarify them next round, because I keep getting asked various questions about other things that aren't very clear in the rules.
Quote from Silverracer :How about making it a requirement to post/link up other sources if you used any?

i.e. You can "paste your car into a photo" but you NEED to post a link to the original so people can what you did.

I think this is what we should do.

Maybe add this in, and pm the entrants who haven't added a link to theirs.

I think mine has a link for it. I'll have to check.
Hmm... that is a good point. But LFS itself is not our work. It is Scavier's!
#8 - aoun
Or you could do some weeks is raw LFS only allowed, some weeks free to choose. Mix it up abit, because all i normally see too is LFS cars blended with photos..
#9 - 5tag
Quote from Silverracer :How about making it a requirement to post/link up other sources if you used any?

If you need to push it, you can make it a requirement to post the original screenshot as well.

Maybe who ever sets the theme can state that it is a strictly "use your own work" competition where using images from the net are forbidden

I like your suggestions.

Quote from JO53PHS :[...] I keep getting asked various questions about other things that aren't very clear in the rules.

Reading that something came to my mind. I find it useless to restrict entrys to cars and tracks. Say the theme is something Formula One related. If one posts a screenshot of a XRG, that's his own fault, much like taking a screen shot of a BF1 at FE Rallycross would be. The voters decide which entry is the winner so let it be.

Quote from Furiously-Fast :Hmm... that is a good point. But LFS itself is not our work. It is Scavier's!

Interesting point there.^^
I've always tried to do entries using exclusively LFS-sourced stuff and to be honest this is why I'm not too fussed about entering this week, despite fancying the theme.

I do agree auon that there is definite skill involved in using RL photos (lighting for example becomes an arse when things are lit from completely different sources) I just always felt the point of editing a screenshot was make the LFS world look as real as possible...not to replace it. Just my opinion.

As suggested by Silverracer; maybe let whoever is setting the theme decide, that seems pretty fair as people clearly have different interpretations
Quote from JO53PHS :After noticing the great amount of 'dump an LFS car in a real picture' type edits (I have no criticism of them - when done well they look really good), I wanted to open a discussion about this:

Since I started running photomode, use of others' material (e.g. from Google images) has been allowed, so long as you do not submit someone else's LFS edit and claim it as your own. I've never made it categorically clear what exactly the above rule means, and have perhaps not enforced this rule as it was intended.

LYNCE: What was intended by this rule?

But I'm wondering where I should draw the line at with regard to this rule. Where does your own work stop and others' work begin? Can you use other people's photographs to make up part of your picture?

Some great edits have been produced by including real life in LFS, or LFS in real life, so I would be reluctant to close that door. Of course, not many people will have the time, opportunity or availability of resources to take their own photographs to include in their edits (although I did one round ).

Discuss

I'm not going to change any rules for at least a few rounds, and all current edits posted in the competition thread are still 100% allowed. I just wanted some opinions on the matter, because it's always been something that i've considered but never really talked about.

Dear JO53PHS,

The intention is "not stealing" the work of other lfs users. For example, pics from another date, any part of another photo from one lfs user. But the point is not use works from another lfs users. I think people can do original works.

Anyway you can change the rules.

All for improve.

And, I think, people can use parts from real photos. Obviously, is my opinion.

Cheers.

P.D: Interesting thread.
i think we should do only lfs based edits since we are doing this on the games website,if you want real pic based lfs edit,thats why the edited pics thread is for. imo

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG