The online racing simulator
Help with a 3 race weekend type server
Guys

I’ve been racing in LFS since May 2003 and I usually get only an hour or so to race during my lunch. One of the things I used to love about the CTRA was the competitiveness that the points system gave to a race. Winning a race wasn’t just about that once race, it was about accumulating points, improving your license. However I also found frustration in that others who had higher licenses had higher status simply because they had been around longer. What I therefore desire is the satisfaction of attaining race points that contribute to something bigger, yet the results are only short term and achievable in the short hour I take for lunch.
So my challenge was to define a set of races, that would range between 30-45 mins, give some feeling of achievement beyond the single race but also existed for only that short time. Hence the three race weekend scheme. It breaks down into this. To me the beauty of such a short “event” is that if you screw up qualifying, or get knocked out of one race, you still have a chance to compete and also the impact of this exists for a short period of time. Also those that have been “in the system” for a long time are as equal as those who’ve just started to race in terms of status. Of course their racing skills will set them apart… simply put, your long term rank/points/best time don’t matter, only your performance in the three races.

The structure is as follows
  • One class per race. So that’s TBA, FOX, etc.
  • Each event is at one track, after 1 qualification and 3 races, the combination of car and track changes.
  • Car and track combination are selected to keep lap times under a maximum average of around 1 minute 50 seconds. You’ll not have UF1 on KY3.
  • Race 1 and 2 are short, designed to be around 5-7 minutes. Race 3 is double this to add some tension and build up to the final race.
Points and race format are akin to that used in the BTCC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B ... _Championship#Race_format

Points awarded in the following manner
1st – 10
2nd – 8
3rd – 6
4th – 5
5th – 4
6th – 3
7th – 2
8th – 1
2 points for fastest lap
2 points for highest grid position climber

Race format follows something like.
  • Qualifying: 7 minutes to allow everyone at least one hotlap. After the 7 minutes the grid order for race 1 respects the qualification order.
  • Race 1: Grid sorted by qualification order. Laps typically 4/5 with a total race time of roughly 5-7 minutes.
  • Race 2: The grid is reversed from randomly chosen positions either 5/6/7 or 8. This means that if the number 6 is chosen, then this person sits on pole for race 2, with driver in position 5 in 2nd, 4th in 3rd, and so on. Those finishing in positions 7 and upwards are in the same order as finished in race 1. Again this race duration is the same for race 1, typically 4/5 laps aiming for a total race time of 5-7 minutes.
  • Race 3: This grid is the same as the final grid position for race 2. This time the race length is doubled.
Points awarded are the same for each race and the winner of the race weekend announced. No long term stats are recorded. Everytime a new race weekend starts, everyone is, from a timing/license status, is deemed to be equal. It may make sense to record someones yellow flags as an indication of race cleanliness.

I need to figure out how to change the points system based on the size of the grid.

My question for the forum is this, can I used LFSLapper/Ario to get this functionality? Or am I going to have to code something myself?
so basically you want to see a server that will only keep points for a series of weekend events? and not issue points any other time than during those events?
Quote from z-ro 8 :so basically you want to see a server that will only keep points for a series of weekend events? and not issue points any other time than during those events?

Yes, accrue points over 3 races, then reset all points. Ignore the "weekend" reference, what I am looking for is the ability to give points over 3 races, then reset and start again.
Quote from yeager :
  • Race 2: The grid is reversed from randomly chosen positions either 5/6/7 or 8. This means that if the number 6 is chosen, then this person sits on pole for race 2, with driver in position 7 in 2nd, those finishing in positions 7 and upwards are in the same order as finished in race 1.

I think you wanted to say driver in position 5.

And it would make more sense to have the grid reversed for the longer third race but that's only my opinion.

Good luck with this.

EDIT: I have just seen that this is in the Programmers Forum so this is probably off-topic.
-
(MariusMM) DELETED by MariusMM : History
Quote from MariusMM :If that is (pretty much) the only thing you want, I guess I could probably give this a go? I mean, code the InSim application.

Well yes and no, what I want is described in the first post.
Quote from MariusMM :
I take it you got your host to host the lfs server and InSim?

Not yet, before I committed to buying a server for a year, I wanted to see if it was even possible.
-
(MariusMM) DELETED by MariusMM : History
Let me describe a race with 11 racers on FE3 for 6 laps in the FOX.

Qualification runs for 7 minutes and the results determine grid position for race 1. Which is below, the race runs and the results are shown in brackets after the names below.

1. Simon (3rd) 6pts
2. Peter (5th) 4pts
3. Frank (1st) 10pts
4. Alex (2nd) 8pts + 2pts fastest lap
5. David (4th) 5pts
6. Harry (6th) 3pts
7. Jack (9th)
8. Martin (10th)
9. Andy (8th) 1pt
10. Keith (7th) 2pts + 2pts highest position climber
11. James (11th)

Then a random number is selected between 5, 6, 7 or 8. The result is 6, this determines the grid like so. I've put previous race positions in front of each driver. The race runs again for 6 laps and the results are after the names below with points following that.

1. (6th) Harry (3rd) 6pts
2. (5th) Peter (4th) 5pts + 2pts for fastest lap
3. (4th) David (7th) 2pts
4. (3rd) Simon (2nd) 8pts
5. (2nd) Alex (1st) 10pts + 2pts for highest climber
6. (1st) Frank (5th) 4pts
7. (7th) Keith (8th) 1pt
8. (8th) Andy (9th)
9. (9th) Jack (6th) 3pts
10. (10th) Martin (11th)
11. (11th) James (10th)

Now race 3, same car, same circuit, but this time 12 laps. The grid is the same as the results for race 2. Below is the grid, results and points.

1. Alex (1st) 10pts
2. Simon (4th) 5pts
3. Harry (3rd) 6pts + 2 points for fastest lap
4. Peter (5th) 4pts
5. Frank (2nd) 8pts + 2 points for highest climber
6. Jack (6th) 3pts
7. David (8th) 1pt
8. Keith (7th) 2pts
9. Andy (10th)
10. James (9th)
11. Martin (11th)

So the total result for the 3 races is...

1. Alex 32pts
2. Frank 24pts
3. Simon 19pts
4. Harry 17pts
5. Peter 15pts
6. David 8pts
7. Keith 7pts
8. Jack 6pts
9. Andy 1pts
10. Martin 0pts
11. James 0pts

Next race starts on a new track, with a new car and all points, positions, results etc are forgotten. Whole things starts again with qualifying.
Quote from zeugnimod :I think you wanted to say driver in position 5.

Ahh yes, good spot. Fixed...
Quote from zeugnimod :
And it would make more sense to have the grid reversed for the longer third race but that's only my opinion.

Yeah I quite like that idea.
Quote from zeugnimod :
Good luck with this.

Thanks, fingers crossed I can get some help.
well tbh i did a 3 day event last october that was a little less complicated though very similar (minus the points), and due to timezone, real-life, and lack of dedication issues, only half the signups showed. then there is always confusion on who goes where when and why.......

believe me this type of ideal appeals to me, but it doesn't appeal to the majority. so unless you can single out ppl like me that do like it, it's destined to fail (mainly because the complexity outweighs the rewards).

asking airio to do all these things seems to be quite a task, considering it may not be utilized by more than a select few.

but good luck. hope you can prove me wrong......
Quote from z-ro 8 :well tbh i did a 3 day event last october that was a little less complicated though very similar (minus the points), and due to timezone, real-life, and lack of dedication issues, only half the signups showed. then there is always confusion on who goes where when and why.......

But i'm not organizing an event, this is a drop in and race server that has a points system over 3 races, it run continually. Not sure how many others will like the format, if I get to run a server like I want then we'll find out.
Quote from z-ro 8 :
but good luck. hope you can prove me wrong......

Thanks! The idea is only an extension on a single race, to three combined races. It may initially seem complex, but it's quite simple overall. No sign up, just race.
Quote from z-ro 8 :well tbh i did a 3 day event last october that was a little less complicated though very similar (minus the points), and due to timezone, real-life, and lack of dedication issues, only half the signups showed. then there is always confusion on who goes where when and why...

I know what you mean, I find that getting LFS users to show up to an event is like herding cats.
-
(MariusMM) DELETED by MariusMM

Help with a 3 race weekend type server
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG