The online racing simulator
RaceSimCentral announces the end [now re-opened]
RaceSimCentral has closed.

I was on the review team, it's so sad this has had to close. A real good bunch of guy's kept this up and running in their spare time, only silly Hardware fault's kept it down alot of the time.

Alot of attachments and knowledge will have been lost if they can't get a read only state site up with the backup recovery

R.I.P.
A serious loss to the sim community. Damned shame.
Sad.

Massive loss.

That's a downer That's where i first found out about LFS, posted my first addons and skins..
#5 - 5haz
T'is a shame, its was nice having a central hub for everything.

Obviously very difficult running such a massive empire free for all, they've had so many disasterous faliures over the years and I think that is what encouraged various racing sim communities to go and get their own forums (e.g. LFSforum, and the GPL community moved to SRMZ), which didn't help.

I think they did a fine job when it did work considering it was all free voulenteer work.
i'm sure someone will make another...

but it does suck to lose data... too bad archive.org's waybackmachine doesn't handle forums.
to be honest is everyone really that surprised? it was down for almost a year and if you're properly honest did you really miss it?

I didnt and i used it all the time. Ive just learned that you have to move onto other forums and now ive found some communities that are a thousand times more friendly and better run than RSC ever was.

It is sad that the place that began it all as such is gone but we'll just have to do with what we've got. RSC just wasnt the same the past few months since it came back.
Also their statement to me is utter bs, they're blaming the community for not being willing to help or pay their damn bills for them. They choose to run these things, if they cant afford it incase the community doesnt donate then they shouldnt do it. Its not our fault its theirs.
#9 - amp88
Quote from RSC :... our backup server containing our regular backups of RSC data also experienced a failure at or around the same time. As yet, we don't know fully what caused the problems that have been described to us by our host, and we can't quite believe the 'bad luck' of having two servers die in one afternoon.

Seems very strange (and somewhat unprofessional) to have online backups of critical customer data rather than offline backup. If I was paying for hosting for something major like an international forum I would expect nightly offline backups to be taken of critical data. I've never really used RSC but I understand its significance in the early stages of LFS development, so I suppose we have to appreciate it for that.
#10 - 5haz
Quote from trebor901 :ive found some communities that are a thousand times more friendly and better run than RSC ever was.

This is not one of them.

Quote from trebor901 :just wasnt the same the past few months since it came back.

Because a lot of temporary forums were set up and they never really came back.
-
(JeffR) DELETED by JeffR : already covered
This is sad news i used to enyoy RSC before the problems alot.

Now its dead and i am sad
I'm sad that the realms of information provided there is gone, but I can't say I am surprised as most topics that I was interested in had newest post in 2005. Hardly any real activity there from my experiences, though it was a convenient spot and the information it had will be missed, though I can't say much about the community there because as far as I am concerned its always been too inactive.
That lot were up and down more than a brides nighty, never seen a forum with such long standing technical gremlins as RSC.

Still, sad that all that info has gone down the toilet.
Quote from danowat :never seen a forum with such long standing technical gremlins as RSC.

Agreed, that's what turned me off RSC quite a few years ago. I do hope they get the info back though, it was a great resource like you say.
Quote from trebor901 :Also their statement to me is utter bs, they're blaming the community for not being willing to help or pay their damn bills for them. They choose to run these things, if they cant afford it incase the community doesnt donate then they shouldnt do it. Its not our fault its theirs.

Oh so it's their fault they were trying to provide and improve the service for the community?

They provided, it's just a shame the community !&%$ on them. Then again the Sim Racing Community is probably the crappest of the lot.
It has been nothing but fail in the last few years. Run by a bunch of control freaks.
damm, big lose
indeed
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This was one of the best sim communities EVER! Now its gone... /me cries hard

Shame on you who caused that.
As mentioned in their web site, it's hard to believe two failures in separate systems and hard drives occurred at the same time, and there wasn't some form of archival backup that could be used to restore RSC to a state perhaps a week or a month old.

Quote :control freaks

I still have bad memories of this from the earlier days. RSC was the only forum ever that felt they needed to punish their members by using a public warning system. I quit RSC after receiving one of these for posting a old (2002) video of an onboard lap at Spa spaf1.wmv claiming they could get sued for copyright violation, demanding I get a letter from Bernie Ecclestone and mail it to them before they would remove the public yellow card on every post I ever made at RSC, even though it's the team, track, or video maker owners that own copyrights, (which is why LFS can have a BMW F1 car even though it doesn't have the rights to the F1 series), and in spite of the fact that video had been posted at other web sites for years without issue before I posted a link at RSC. During this period, anyone posting questions about the public warning system was permanently banned.

Quote :repository

Towards the end, RSC mostly served as a good repository of information, and it will be shame if they can't recover the data. For a while, there was some activity in the iRacing section, but that had virtually ceased by the time of failure, and there are game specific forums now, such as LFS.

Quote :central hub

The newsgroup, rec.autos.simulators, served this purpose, but there's been little activity in the last few years, since there are now so many game specific and other generic forums.
people still use newsgroups?
Quote from bunder9999 :people still use newsgroups?

I've seen a few sites that extract newsgroup posts into HTML in a forum-like manner. I don't know if you could post on the extracted page and have that reflected in the newsgroup though (i.e. a post would automatically be created and submitted to the newsgroup when you posted on the forum-like page). Newsgroups are still quite popular though (but mainly for warez rather than for discussion).

edit: And, of course, Google Groups.
never really used it, but i have come across it and it has technically helped

R.I.P.

i found LFS from yahoo answers unlike a few of you
Quote from amp88 :I've seen a few sites that extract newsgroup posts into HTML in a forum-like manner. I don't know if you could post on the extracted page and have that reflected in the newsgroup though.

This is how microsoft newsgroups work. You can access, including reading and posting of messages, to the newgroups via usenet or via html web sites (several initial links, but they eventually end up accessing the same newsgroups):

http://www.microsoft.com/commu ... groups/en-us/default.aspx
Quote from mclarenmatt :Oh so it's their fault they were trying to provide and improve the service for the community?

No, it's their fault they ended up becoming a single point of failure for the community, instead of an improvement. Which is exactly why a lot of people ran away from them. Sure, you can have a failure and downtime. But years of them without a good backup? That's their fault.
Quote :
They provided, it's just a shame the community !&%$ on them. Then again the Sim Racing Community is probably the crappest of the lot.

They !&%$ on themselves. It's a miracle they didn't die 3 years ago when the whole disaster started.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG