The online racing simulator
Test Patch Z26 (installer test + minor updates)
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST

NOTE : THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN NEW PHYSICS / VW SCIROCCO / ROCKINGHAM

Hello Racers, here is a new Test Patch : Z26. It is fully compatible with version Z25.

Please keep a backup of your LFS.exe from version Z25 so you can go back to Z25 if there are any problems.

This is mainly about the new installer which Victor has been working on.

Thank you translators, for making the new installer translations.

The installer gives you a default folder of C:\LFS but you can choose wherever you like. Vista and Windows 7 users should preferably not use their Program Files folder because of some issues that come up.

The installer is very non-intrusive, it just does a normal LFS install and adds an icon to your desktop (if you wish) and a start menu item (if you wish). Also optional is an auto setup of file associations for SPR / MPR / LYT and SET files. This will be very helpful for new LFS users who can sometimes install LFS in the wrong place using the old self-extracting archives.

Also new is updated support for the URL lfs:// which can be used to start LFS using a command line from a web page. This will be the new method for "LFS Join" links at www.lfsworld.net Previously a special program needed to be installed but soon the "join" links will work for any copy of LFS installed using the installer.

LFS World is not yet updated to the new system. You can test anyway by visiting this temporary web page after installing Z26.
http://www.lfsworld.net/hostjointest.php

You can test the full version installer, or you can use the Z25 to Z26 patch. This will require you to select your existing LFS folder.

Changes from Z25 to Z26 :

Added support for lfs:// start LFS with command line from web page
Various translation updates

FIX : It was possible to reset the car while a vote was in progress
FIX : Clicking SPR / MPR did not work if "Load track when starting"
FIX : Help buttons sometimes translated after returning to English
FIX : Two or more dedicated hosts could be started with same port

DOWNLOADS :

PATCH Z25 to Z26 (Z25 must already be installed) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs. ... ATCH_Z25_TO_Z26_setup.exe (1.9 MB)

FULL VERSION Z26
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_Z26_setup.exe (137 MB)

DEDICATED HOST Z26 (non-graphical version for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_Z26.zip (1.6 MB)
*Z25 to Z26. Thanks Scavier once again!
huh when i saw "including" my eyes got wide open,than meh.. Thx guys!

EDIT: and they changed it right away,smart :P
Quote from e2mustang :huh when i saw "including" my eyes got wide open,than meh.. Thx guys!

I must agree with that

E: Hmmmm... I got Z25 and this is what happens
Attached images
ScreenShot001.jpg
Quote from e2mustang :huh when i saw "including" my eyes got wide open,than meh.. Thx guys!

Joining the club.
When i click the name of the server under someones nickname it asks me which program to use.
When i select LFS.exe it says Parameter1 is invalid.
Quote from EliteAti :I must agree with that

E: Hmmmm... I got Z25 and this is what happens

Are you sure you navigated to the correct existing LFS folder before trying to install?
Quote from Scawen :Are you sure you navigated to the correct existing LFS folder before trying to install?

Yes.

If i try to put the z26 patch in any other folder it complains "LFS has not been installed" or something like that.
Worked fine here.
Quote from EliteAti :Yes.

If i try to put the z26 patch in any other folder it complains "LFS has not been installed" or something like that.

That message should in fact appear if LFS.exe is found but data\pic\x_CARS.jpg is not found (only included in Z25)
FIX : It was possible to reset the car while a vote was in progress

Could you explain that a little bit further, please?
Quote from Scawen :That message should in fact appear if LFS.exe is found but data\pic\x_CARS.jpg is not found (only included in Z25)

Yep, forgot i had a few of LFS installs with quite same folder names so it was user error. Sorry and problem solved.
Updater and join links works but I found some minor errors.

In google chrome only run the links
lfs://join=South%20City%20TBO
lfs://join=Fern%20Bay%20TBO

but not from
http://www.lfsworld.net/hostjointest.php

also, in internet explorer run from lfsworld, so can be problem with google chrome.

The other problem is some characters, so search MK in the list on http://www.lfsworld.net/hostjointest.php (our server is MecaHostMK™| Server #1) when LFS try to open this servers change the ™ by an ?, so try to open MecaHostMK?| Server #1 and don't run.
#15 - Dmt
Is it possible to make the join2LFS application work in Google Chrome somehow or make some new system for quick join from lfsworld?
Worked fine.

But the installer has an translation mistake

German translation on the last wizard page:
"Deine Live for Speed installation in s:\Live for Speed wurde erfolgreich auf Version 0.5Z26 aktualisiert."

The i of installation must be a capital i.
The url registration works with all browsers. For some though you first have to confirm to allow use of the url protocol, but in those cases it should present you with the default of LFS.exe being used for lfs:// urls.

You do no longer need to use join2lfs (man, does anyone read the OP?)

Chrome is quite bad in doing the url forwarding. It seems to not even attempt to run some hosts with certain characters and it doesn't matter if I urlencode these characters.
IE also has some problems with certain characters, like the bullet character and again it doesn't matter if i urlencode these characters.
We consider these bugs in the browsers.
FF and Opera work 100% as expected though.
Works good, just installed, testing tomorrow. I dont insert my wheel to desk today anymore..

Z26 updater works.

But where is the EULA?! Or do i dont need it?

E: ya. Lfs world LFS Links dont work. it say me only Can't found file. Error loading page.
E2: and im using firefox 3. it can't find lfs:\\ file. it dont connects to internet or start lfs.
The links on lfs world should not work according to the first post
Updated and working
Quote from Victor :The url registration works with all browsers. For some though you first have to confirm to allow use of the url protocol, but in those cases it should present you with the default of LFS.exe being used for lfs:// urls.

Chrome is quite bad in doing the url forwarding. It seems to not event attempt to run some hosts with certain characters and it doesn't matter if I urlencode these characters.
IE also has some problems with certain characters, like the bullet character and again it doesn't matter if i urlencode these characters.
We consider these bugs in the browsers.
FF and Opera work 100% as expected though.

Looks like chrome does not like your replacing of the #'s.
You replace the # by %5eh but shouldn't it be %23?
Quote from GeForz :Looks like chrome does not like your replacing of the #'s.
You replace the # by %5eh but shouldn't it be %23?

I replace # by ^h, a special LFS character as of z26
# gave immense problems when used in urls in IE, even if urlencoded. IE just urldecodes them again and then gets confused. So we replaced # with ^h. Unfortunately Chrome doesn't like ^ along with a lot of other characters. Not much we can do about that except invent a whole new urlencoding (which we won't).

btw, to know what I really send to your browser you must look at the source code. Do not rely on the info bar at the bottom of your browser.
@ LFS Dev team, Can i have marry all of you?
Quote from Victor :I replace # by ^h, a special LFS character as of z26
# gave immense problems when used in urls in IE, even if urlencoded. IE just urldecodes them again and then gets confused. So we replaced # with ^h. Unfortunately Chrome doesn't like ^ along with a lot of other characters. Not much we can do about that except invent a whole new urlencoding (which we won't).

btw, to know what I really send to your browser you must look at the source code. Do not rely on the info bar at the bottom of your browser.

Oh jeah right... with %23 it works in chrome and firefox but not in ie8...
Always the ie ...
IE and Chrome seem to have a mind of their own regarding launching applications from an url. FF and Opera leave the string to pass untouched while IE and Chrome do some sort of processing on them. During this process they think the 'url' is still an internet url so they apply some internet-url logic to it, like that it must end with a slash. But there cannot be a hash character before the first slash in a normal url, so then they decide to just insert a slash before the first hash. Host not found.
Also when IE encounters ' #' (space hash) it just strips the space. Again, host not found.
Chrome bogs down on certain characters in general and doesn't even run the url-associated program.
I can go on like this for a while.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG