The online racing simulator
rev counter UBS board
(17 posts, started )
rev counter UBS board
Hi.
I have designed and produced a board to connect an aftermarket rev counter to the PC USB port.

It works with Live for Speed but also with other simulators.

Am I allowed to post a link to Ebay where these boards are being sold?

Thanks
#2 - Rux
Dont know but pm me please
#3 - PoVo
Sure you are allowed, i think many people will buy, good luck
Hi, looks good, I’m new to sim racing etc and I’m an easily confused noob...
I'm looking to build a simulator in the garage using an old dashboard from a car... this will obviously include a tacho and speedo...

i) Will this work with any tacho from a 4 cylinder? (i see from YouTube vid that it mentions 4 cylinder engine??)
ii) How do I attach the USB to tacho to make it work... (general idea as i appreciate the whole technicalities with all the types of tachos on the market)
iii) What is the software - home grown software by you or configured through LFS or one that can be downloaded.
iv) any chance of making one for a speedo?

Thanks
Dave
Hi.

This board is supposed to work with any tachometer. I have tested 5 different models and they worked fine. All the tachometers work in the same way so I feel confident you can't find one not supported.

The tacho has at least 3 wires: 12V and ground for the power, and a control wire to drive the niddle. If the tacho has the light (very likely) you have another pair of wires which go to the 12V and the ground again. So the board has 3 terminals: the 12V, the ground and the control terminal, where you connect the 3 (or 5) wires from the tacho.

I wrote the software myself. It is an external application with plugins. Every plugin supports a different simulator. In this way it is more modular and when I want to support a new simulator I just have to add a new plugin. Only two days ago I added the plugin for IRacing.

Speedos are a bit tricky because they can be either mechanical (work with the spinning cable from the wheel) or electronic.

The first type is not supported because I should make the cable spin using an electric motor or something like that. Too messy for me.

The second type works with the same principle of tachometer's and should work with my board. But I haven't done many tests so I can't support it for now, although it is in my todo list.

The software as an option to use a tacho as a speedo: you connect a tachometer but you display the speed. Of course you first have to repaint/replace the dial.

Anyway supporting speedos has a very high priority for me and I am sure quite sure it is technically possible, may be with a software or firmware upgrade.

In the next weeks I am going to put online the website www.symprojects.com which is the place from which to download software and firmware upgrades, as well as new plugins.

There is another product I have been working on and it is a USB gear indicator as cheap as possible, hopefully less than £20.

Will be ready in 4 weeks time.

Regards.
Great thanks for the prompt reply... looks like i'm going to be looking for a set of gauges!
Does this work with bike gauges??
I have a set of GPX600R tacho, speedo, would they work??
can you tell me which are the rev counters you bought and where you bought them? Which one is the video´s rev counter?
I bought my tachometer on Ebay, from this seller:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/british.speed

TiSwAs:
if your tachometers are electronic, they are ok. Non-electronic tachometers are the ones which work with the spinning cable. If you send me a picture of the back of the tachos and connections I can tell you what type they are.
Damn, need to buy a set of gauges for this The GPX600 bikes are not electrontic, Spinning cable off the front wheel, ah well off to ebay to get a cheap set
#12 - Rux
#14 - Rux
Quote from hazaky :Looks awesome btw, but the blue lights ... :vomit:

White background lights + red dials would look much nicer. Blue is a ricey color to me already No offence, just my opinion.

I agree with you. This was just a small video test but the display has seven colors to choose from. Usually i use white. I'll show you later.

Thks
#15 - senn
Quote from DavidTiger :Damn, need to buy a set of gauges for this The GPX600 bikes are not electrontic, Spinning cable off the front wheel, ah well off to ebay to get a cheap set

Why would a tachometer, that measures engine speed have a cable off the front wheel? Sure you aren't confusing speedo and tacho? most cars past the 80's, at least that i've seen use electronic tacho's, generally running off a coil terminal, or ECU rpm out..
sorry to reopen this thread but could the guy that is makeing these please email me on bphilip@slingshot.co.nz as i have an offer for you

rev counter UBS board
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG