The online racing simulator
Z21 dedicated host - supports UDP list of hosts
Hello hosters.

I've changed the dedicated host download in the first post of the Z20 test patch thread to Z21.

This is a fully compatible dedicated host which can support UDP in the list of hosts. The plan is that when I release test patch Z21, users will ping the new dedicated hosts at high speed using a new UDP based system (which will use less bandwidth as well as being much faster).

If any hosters could update their host to Z21, that would be great, as I need to be able to test with several Z21 hosts in the list before releasing the UDP pinging system.

It is fully compatible with pre-Z21 versions, still supports TCP list of hosts as well. Pre-Z21 guests can still see your hosts in the list, so there is no problem with updating your host.

Thanks.

DEDICATED HOST Z21 (non-graphical version for hosting only) :
EDIT : removed Z21 download link. Z22 is now available :
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=62603
#2 - CSU1
Tyvm
ive updated all of storm-servers servers to Z21 until they go offline (unless A patch comes out)

hope this helps

paul
Thanks for the help, all those who have updated your hosts. :up: I can now see 19 Z21 hosts.

Still need a few more... the more the better for good testing.

I'll be working on the UDP pinging system tomorrow, trying to make it as fast and reliable as possible before releasing it in a test patch.
Just updated a good bunch of servers. Hope that helps some.
Great! Now there are more than 70!

Thanks for the help and good night!
Quote from Scawen :(which will use less bandwidth as well as being much faster).

less lag?
Hi,
I have updated all the [NLR]NL Racing server's to Z21. All 6
Any additional ports to open up to UDP?
Quote from OldBloke :Any additional ports to open up to UDP?

I think it uses the port you specify in server.cfg (63392 by default), because you didn't had to portforward any more ports for TCP serverbrowser.
Quote from Fire_optikz001 :less lag?

No, this does not affect racing at all which already uses UDP packets for car position updates. This is only for the "List of Hosts".

Quote from Tim NL :Hi,
I have updated all the [NLR]NL Racing server's to Z21. All 6

Thank you.

Quote from OldBloke :Any additional ports to open up to UDP?

No, it uses the same UDP port as the car position packets (same port number as the TCP port). So that is already open.
Just noticed this on 6 servers (Z21)...

Quote :Oct 21 13:25:29 Got master packet
Oct 21 13:26:32 Listen : Lost connection to master server
Oct 21 13:27:39 Auto reconnection to master
Oct 21 13:27:39 Handicaps :
Oct 21 13:28:59 Got master packet

Didn't see a problem elsewhere, so dunno if it's my end or not...
That's just because I restarted the master server with the new support.

So all hosts lost connection and reconnected around 1 minute later (plus or minus 30 seconds).

The list from the master server now has Z21 (or later) hosts marked with a flag that tells the list of games that the host can accept UDP pinging.

The one difference you can see so far is that all the Z21 hosts are sent in the list before the other hosts.
finaly maybe this update will slove my "unable to conect to master server" problem
No, because this does not affect connecting to the master server.

You still connect to the master server in the normal way (using TCP) and it sends you the same old list of host ip addresses and ports.

Only then, you connect to the hosts using UDP instead of TCP.

So... sorry but it won't help if you can't connect to the master server.
Server updated.
Thanks
Quote from Scawen :No, because this does not affect connecting to the master server.

You still connect to the master server in the normal way (using TCP) and it sends you the same old list of host ip addresses and ports.

Only then, you connect to the hosts using UDP instead of TCP.

So... sorry but it won't help if you can't connect to the master server.

No i mostly can conect to master server, but there is some days i cant, ping and other stuff of internet is ok but i just cant conect and thats it anyway this not very big problem
SK|Gaming.racing#1 / #2 / #3 on Z21 now.
Something to do also with "Did not receive guest info. Lost connection to host."?

It really gets annoying now.

Z21 host (my own);

Quote from deb.log :
Oct 23 14:56:39 A new guest is connecting
Oct 23 14:56:39 New guest but wrong state
Oct 23 14:56:49 New guest failed to connect
Oct 23 14:56:52 Guest wants to join
Oct 23 14:56:52 Send Track : 80.xxx.103.xxx
Oct 23 14:56:52 Send Track : 80.xxx.103.xxx
Oct 23 14:56:56 Alive : 80.xxx.103.xxx
Oct 23 14:56:56 Connecting guest still alive
Oct 23 14:56:56 Connect : 80.xxx.103.xxx
Oct 23 14:56:56 Sent OK to new guest
Oct 23 14:56:56 Sent scrutineering packet
Oct 23 14:56:56 Told guests about new guest
Oct 23 14:56:57 Avoiding buffer overflow
Oct 23 14:57:06 Joiner Fatal Error
Oct 23 14:57:06 Cancelled join

host restart 'fixes' it now, for the time being.
Who was trying to join the host? It looks like someone with a bad connection was trying to connect. That would be exactly the same whatever version you were using. There are 148 updated Z21 hosts online now and no reported problems (the multiplayer system was not changed in any way).

By the way, I can get the list of 148 hosts in my new UDP version in about 3 seconds.
Z21 Release it plz
Quote from Scawen : By the way, I can get the list of 148 hosts in my new UDP version in about 3 seconds.

Show off
May I ask why does it take less time to load the list on LFSWorld, than in LFS?
LFS World receives statistics from the master server. Some of these "statistics" are actually host status, connected players, etc. LFS World does not ping the hosts, it just displays as a web page, the info it already knows.

But the LFS one is generated live. You first connect to the master server and it sends a compact list of IP addresses and port numbers of the hosts. Then your LFS rapidly pings all those hosts for some information. That way, you know the ping times and you have a live display of hosts you can definitely connect to.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG