The online racing simulator
#1 - amp88
InSim: Extend Autocross Hit Packet (IS_AXO)
Currently when a driver hits an autocross object and they receive a 2 second time penalty for it a packet containing details is sent through InSim:

Quote from InSim.txt :// If an autocross object is hit (2 second time penalty) this packet is sent :

struct IS_AXO // AutoX Object
{
byte Size; // 4
byte Type; // ISP_AXO
byte ReqI; // 0
byte PLID; // player's unique id
};

These packets are only sent when the objects are hit in the autocross mode, but I think it would be a handy thing to have them sent when players hit autocross objects (e.g. barriers, poles, bales) in normal racing too. To give an example where this would be handy we have a rule in the current MoE round where if a driver touches any of the admin-placed objects (placed to stop drivers cutting a chicane) their lap is disallowed. In order to enforce this rule it takes an admin to look through the session, find the driver's fastest lap then check it manually for any contact with objects. If LFS were to inform of contact through InSim it would take a lot less time to check for contact.
Good idea but what if there would be a setting in server option, if it allows contact. OR how many contacts does it allow. For example 5 contacts and then you get your 2 sec.
I think it would be pointless adding it to a server option as you'd be here all month listing different customised server options for all manner of things that should be there - whereas if it was reported by insim a program could do what it liked with the packet and decide what penalty, or in the case of MoE, log the time, object and player id somewhere for admins to look at.
#4 - amp88
Quote from Kristi :Good idea but what if there would be a setting in server option, if it allows contact. OR how many contacts does it allow. For example 5 contacts and then you get your 2 sec.

No, you've misunderstood me. I'm not saying that the penalty should be applied outside of the autocross arena. I'm saying that the packet should be reported outside the autocross arena to tell listeners that contact has been made. Boothy has the correct idea of what I meant.
I'd also like to get an object ID from this, that way it'd be possible to auto-spectate players who accidentally activated the LFS flightsim sub-game (aka barrier crash) without having to rely on AngVel alone.
#6 - pik_d
I think this could be a good idea, though hopefully it would be somehow restricted to qualifying mode only. With close racing (as it is in MoE sometimes), it's not always the fault of the person who actually hits the object that they did so. Imagine getting punted off by someone making a stupid move then getting a time penalty to boot.

Crap like automatic time penalties in races were what turned me away from games like Gran Turismo and towards more realistic (if less 'fancy') games like LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG