The online racing simulator
AVG Free has become a nag monster...
(80 posts, started )
#1 - Woz
AVG has decided its a good idea to nag for a paid upgrade every time I book my machine so its time to bin AVG after years of use.

Avast or Antivir? Which gives least false positives and is the most lightweight?
one of my machines does that too, every other login after playing lfs i see that stupid popup... but my other machine doesn't, even after letting it run for days.

i think f-prot used to have a free version, but i just had a peek at their site, and they're non-free now.

that was the only other AV i used aside from snorton and mc-crappy, so i guess i'm not much help.
#3 - Jakg
Avast doesn't ever talk to me - except to to tell me it's updated or a blog is out (wth).
AntiVir has a once-a-day nag screen. Not really sure, but I seem to recall Avast doesn't. It's a bit cumbersome to play around with because of the module structures but it's alright, if nothing big has changed from a few yrs back.
#5 - arco
AVG turned to a resource hog after the 7.x versions. It's sooo slow browsing files when it's installed. Avira is much better in that respect, and I prefer it to AVG, although it has a popup window when it's performing updates (Can be disabled though).
ouch...

http://it.slashdot.org/story/0 ... /AVG-Update-Breaks-iTunes

Quote from slashdot :After getting a positive from the AVG virus detector while playing music on iTunes just a few minutes ago, I did a bit of research. It appears that AVG has recently pushed an update to the virus definitions that flags every iPod/iTunes related file as being infected with the 'Small.BOG' trojan. Interestingly enough, AVG does not have any information on this particular virus in their virus encyclopedia. Discussion on the Apple forum is up to 4 pages and climbing. One user there had an interesting thought: 'Maybe Palm has some shares in AVG...MUAHAAAA!!' (on page 3).

Which is why I don't use any antivirus, and when I stopped using it.. I've had less problems.

I got more viruses when I had it (because i acted like an idiot and figured antivirus would help it.. when 90% of the time you get lucky it does solve the problem..), if you don't have it.. you think more and are safer and don't have to deal with it.

Plus.. half the time those things are wrong anyway.

Spybot S&D ftw.

I've had a few viruses here and there since then (I stopped using antivirus 4 months after owning this laptop, and used norton for like 1 year on my desktop back in the day) but every problems I have had I just do my research and fix the problem myself.. it really isn't that hard.
Just use NOD32 Smart Security, It includes antivirus and firewall and really keeps your safe.
Quote from Jakg :Avast doesn't ever talk to me - except to to tell me it's updated or a blog is out (wth).

'nuff said.
I've just swapped to Antivir after years of using AVG. Antivir is very lean, seems to do a good job and you can easily turn off the main functionality if you want to go play a game or something, then switch it back on when you're ready to go back online.

As mentioned, there is a nag screen, but it's more of a surprise for me to see it rather than an annoyance or inconvenience- it's just one more mouse click to get rid of it.

Very happy with it so far.
yeah i have Antivir on my PC laptop as well. it works pretty well, updates itself everyday, deteched a few viruses and blocked them out. not bad considering its free.
although it has an advertising window pop-up once a day. but it only takes a mouse click/enter to get rid of it. so im pretty happy with it.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :yeah i have Antivir on my PC laptop as well. it works pretty well, updates itself everyday, deteched a few viruses and blocked them out. not bad considering its free.
although it has an advertising window pop-up once a day. but it only takes a mouse click/enter to get rid of it. so im pretty happy with it.

A new virus every day? Unlikely. I would say that's the program showing it so it can show you that pop up so one day someone will be dumb enough to buy it.

Get Firefox if you don't have it
(and if you don't like the way it looks you can make it look exactly like IE)
What are these 'virusas' I keep hearing about on teh internets?
#14 - arco
#15 - Jakg
Quote from XCNuse :Which is why I don't use any antivirus, and when I stopped using it.. I've had less problems.

True - but if I can make Avast never need me to do anything (and endure the occasional "i've updated / read ma blog bitch" notification that hides itself in 3 seconds) I might as well use something, as it's not going to slow my PC down at all.
Nod32.
Quote from Jakg :True - but if I can make Avast never need me to do anything (and endure the occasional "i've updated / read ma blog bitch" notification that hides itself in 3 seconds) I might as well use something, as it's not going to slow my PC down at all.

It rapes my mothers' stupid toshiba laptop, we have it set to run at 3AM but it runs whenever it feels like and it just it's like.. EXCUSE ME! CAN'T YOU SEEM IM BUSY?!?! it just freaks out and I just hate it.

I mean if I had a desktop that was faster and could just churn away at stuff .. maybe, but I like to use every drop of power my machine can lend me so..

I mean like I said, if you're just safe about it and not an idiot, there isn't to to much of a reason to freak out about it.
#18 - Jakg
What does it do? I've turned off automatic scanning and all the POP3 / P2P / IM shit.
I use Avast and the only annoyance is that I forget I have the sound turned up and it shouts 'Virus database has been updated' at me at 1 in the morning, scaring the crap out of me
#20 - Jakg
Crashgate, you can mute all Avast sounds in the options.

If you think thats bad - wait for the "WARNING! VIRUS DETECTED *WOOP WOOP WOOP*" noise.
i just removed avg from both my windows machines, it was causing my atom to hang on first login after boot, and the nag screen on my athlon was getting really annoying.
Apparently the nag screen is part of a month long campaign which is already half over.
It should not appear every day, but 2 or 3 times a week for the duration of the campaign.

Can't find it now, but it is confirmed somewhere in AVG forums.
Quote from Bean0 :Apparently the nag screen is part of a month long campaign which is already half over.
It should not appear every day, but 2 or 3 times a week for the duration of the campaign.

Can't find it now, but it is confirmed somewhere in AVG forums.

i was getting every boot.
Quote from Jakg :What does it do? I've turned off automatic scanning and all the POP3 / P2P / IM shit.

lol if you have it running in background just eating your memory but not doing anything, why do you run it at all?

(80 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG