Poll : What do you make of a LFS F1 series

I would watch the broadcasts
I think it's a great idea and would like to compete
I don't like the idea
I think it is a good idea but probably wouldn't get involved
I may or may not after more information is released
Market Research: LFS F1
Hey Folks,

I was thinking about starting a series for the 2nd half of 2009, and the idea of a Formula 1 championship came into my head. To all of you who are now thinking "But we already have oneGP", this would be fundamentally different.

The idea is to have a F1 championship, with all races using exactly the same format as the real F1 World Championship (without the FIA :tilt. So that would include:
  • Qualifying sessions 1, 2 & 3, with the required drivers knocked out of each session.
  • Races amounting to around 90 minutes as in F1.
  • Formation Laps, Safety Cars, Tyre Compound rules.
  • Fully broadcasted events.
  • Maybe a small prize for the winner if we get a sponsor.
So the question is, would the LFS community like this launched, or should I get back to the drawing board

Please answer the poll and give any feedback as posts

Cheers guys

Chris Wilkinson

EDIT: Sod the fuel!
Yes please
Well I don't really like the F1 format, so for me it's not going to work. I think there will be a problem maintaining a big enough grid for it to be entertaining, since most people can't do 5 laps in the BF1 without spinning.
need another option, i think it is a good idea but probably wouldnt get involved
Quote from anbiddulph :need another option, i think it is a good idea but probably wouldnt get involved

Bugger......

Ill try and get a mod to edit that in.
Quote from boothy :How are you going to do that?

To be 100% honest I haven't thought about that yet.
the series sounds good but i see 2 problems, firstly there is no way that i nknow of to see a drivers fuel amount so you could never know of a driver was using the correct fuel level also the problem wth formation laps, there is currently no way to do it properly, it can be done with insim but needs alot of programming to remove probels with lag and even then it is still not great, as far as i know only becky rose made a system to do that for the stcc series but it was never used.
Quote from james12s :the series sounds good but i see 2 problems, firstly there is no way that i nknow of to see a drivers fuel amount so you could never know of a driver was using the correct fuel level also the problem wth formation laps, there is currently no way to do it properly, it can be done with insim but needs alot of programming to remove probels with lag and even then it is still not great, as far as i know only becky rose made a system to do that for the stcc series but it was never used.

I helped deko test an insim for formation lap and it worked really well. No problems at all.

Only problem is the fuel off course. If fuel was a part of setup it would be a lot easier :S.

The idea's good, I'm not sure it'll work though. Like someone else said, most people can't handle the BF1... OWRL F1 is the only F1 league that is actually good. OneGP's dying. Its hard to get large grids in the BF1 too for some reason....
oh ok someones obviously figured a good way of doing it cos all i can rememebr becky saying was that the timing/lag was a problem
OWRL F1 is almost like F1 format and there should be nothing similar to it, but they already made oneGP and now this, now that would just suck...
Once you have an original idea go with it.
Isn't it possible with a insim that has an eye at the fuel level?
I'm always looking for a new F1 league to race in. If u need a help with a website I could chip in a few bits and pieces, pm me or somthing
Is it possible to have "an insim" that has an eye on the fuel level?

It could work if you just disallowed pitting between Q3 and the race but that would be an exact copy of the OWRL as I think they are doing it like that.
Hmmmm

The no pit idea would work. If I can't find another solution, I would probably use that.
Well, I don't think it'd work, simply because we already have two serious international BF1 leagues, OWRL F1 and oneGP. The first one is still doing well, but got a lack of motivation from the drivers(26 on the first round, only 18 on the last in date[6th one]), and the second one is in difficulties(it got a drop of 20 people between round 1 and round 6(!)), I couldn't exactly explain why, but as said Taha, it's dying.

In fact, I think the BF1 is too difficult to be driven properly, that's why it isn't very popular here. You'd only get a few BF1 nutters(probably also active in oneGP or OWRL F1), which is still good enough for a good race, but a poor turn-out often call a poor turn-out, and these guys would quickly loose their motivation, and your league would be dying like oneGP is atm. But that's only my opinion of course.
Quote from james12s :as far as i know only becky rose made a system to do that for the stcc series but it was never used.

oh ok someones obviously figured a good way of doing it cos all i can rememebr becky saying was that the timing/lag was a problem

MoE where using a similar system before the STCC one, which incidentally was used for the final round. It's quite simple to do it, lag isnt so much an issue but there are lots of little factors to consider ... you need to make your own starting system, which meens coding your own jump start system and starting lights etc. It's all doable.

Quote from aroX123 :Isn't it possible with a insim that has an eye at the fuel level?

There was an exploit once but I found and reported it and it's long since been removed (in Scawens defence I think he was onto it anyway if I recall). It just wouldnt be viable to expose other racers fuel data to other drivers, it opens up the possibility to have software spies in league races. Having it as an admin only feature isnt really secure enough either, when you watch what happens with league races and admin access in actual practice.

Quote from zeugnimod :It could work if you just disallowed pitting between Q3 and the race but that would be an exact copy of the OWRL as I think they are doing it like that.

The problem there is everyone being on the same lap, and forcing people to start with damage. Or you could allow pitting but that in turn results in the need for software to monitor fuel taken onboard in pit stops. It would be needlessly complicated and add time to the whole organisation of the event with people running off meeningless laps just so everyone can start with the same lap count.

As for the concept of the league itself, in all honesty unless the broadcast quality itself was something special I wouldnt watch it - fast cars hold little interest for me and BF1's in LFS do not offer the best quality of racing.
ah ok becky memory has failed me as usual lol
I think it is a good idea in theory but the race length is too long for just one race. Maybe half the lentgh, (45 mins) or maybe even an hour in length would be good.
One the fuel note, F1 drivers/teams usually do a two stop strategy. sometimes three, if you have the races one hour long a two stop strategy would work with fuel etc..
If you could get a prize it would attract sign ups but keeping them all motivated etc may be hard in the current state.

The idea of the formation lap, it most defintley can be done as I was there when deko was testing it and in fact I think I have the program on my laptop so if your stuck I can help with that, but I'm fairly sure deko has it well sussed..
#20 - DeKo
all this talk of another deko confuses me.

but yeah, i would be very interested in something like this, would love too take part. maybe something like each driver pays a small fee, something like a fiver, and the champion gets the winnings?
How many people will pay a fiver to race?

I'd rather get a full (or decent sized at least) grid and fund a small prize myself than charge people.
i would like to participate, but i cant promise i will be keeping up or that i wont spin out a lot! but if there is anything that i can help with (as i like to help out in stuff) let me know...keep in mind, i cant code, or anything too advanced but i AM in
I say get more people into OWRL F1 tbh...

Oh and also:
Quote :"But we already have oneGP"

:ices_rofl
Quote from Becky Rose :
The problem there is everyone being on the same lap, and forcing people to start with damage. Or you could allow pitting but that in turn results in the need for software to monitor fuel taken onboard in pit stops. It would be needlessly complicated and add time to the whole organisation of the event with people running off meeningless laps just so everyone can start with the same lap count.

You simply run the session as a clean 10-15mins and then don't return to the lobby before starting the race. Drivers in the shootout cannot Shift-P/S and when the race session starts their damage and fuel is reset, so they start the race with the fuel they had at the start of the final Q session. In this sense it is more like 2006 with the fuel credit mullarkey, but still provides room to make strategic choices. The grid can be easily set via Insim app.

Given the current malaise in LFS (as witnesses by the demise of oneGP) I suggest that for the good of the community we try to make the healthiest competition (OWRL) as strong as possible. Interested drivers should go to www.owrl.de and ask about signup before the end of the summer break.

Better one strong competition than three weak ones.
Quote from DeKo :all this talk of another deko confuses me.

I'm the other deko who doesn't get out much.

Quote from Storm_Cloud :You simply run the session as a clean 10-15mins and then don't return to the lobby before starting the race. Drivers in the shootout cannot Shift-P/S and when the race session starts their damage and fuel is reset, so they start the race with the fuel they had at the start of the final Q session. In this sense it is more like 2006 with the fuel credit mullarkey, but still provides room to make strategic choices. The grid can be easily set via Insim app.

Given the current malaise in LFS (as witnesses by the demise of oneGP) I suggest that for the good of the community we try to make the healthiest competition (OWRL) as strong as possible. Interested drivers should go to www.owrl.de and ask about signup before the end of the summer break.

Better one strong competition than three weak ones.

+1...when the LFS environment becomes a bit more favorable once again, the idea might go well, but for now, I don't think you can get another one going unless it runs in OWRL F1 off-season.

Market Research: LFS F1
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG