The online racing simulator
Test Patch Z15 (online compatible)
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST

NOTE : THE VW SCIROCCO IS NOT INCLUDED

Hello Racers, here is a new Test Patch : Z15.

It is online compatible with version Z.
You can view hotlap replays made in version Z.

ABS brakes have been added to 5 cars (as a setup option) so for now you cannot upload hotlaps made in Z15.

Please keep a backup of your LFS.exe from version Z so you can go back to Z if there are any problems.

Changes in TEST PATCH Z15 :

FIX : Pit exit indicator was a square in double byte languages
FIX : Rim / tyre polygon alignment was wrong (left wheels FXO / UF1)
FIX : Pitlane exit direction arrows did not work in training lessons
FIX : MPR buffer overflow vulnerability (reported by muhaa - thanks)
FIX : Could cross finish line without passing all route checkers
FIX : Skin names containing a '.' could not be loaded in LFS
FIX : Colour extended into skin download progress indicator
FIX : F12 tyre display for remote car could go off screen
FIX : MRT5 gear indicator and fuel gauge are now visible
FIX : Short cuts were possible in slalom course training
FIX : Autocross route checkers only worked for one lap

TEST key added for Wine users. The new shadows are known to go
wrong when LFS is run using Wine on a Linux computer. Press SHIFT+K
to try out a test version to see if it makes any difference.
On Windows computers, the test version is slightly slower.

KNOWN ISSUES :

LX4 number plate goes through spare tyre

Changes in TEST PATCH Z13 :

New message from host replaces "Did not receive guest info"
Progress indicator for skin downloads while joining a host
Improved order of sort by version number in List of Hosts
Unlock screen clear button to remove name and password
Direction to turn is shown when leaving pit garage
Blue and yellow flags removed from cruise mode
Removed Español Latino translation

FIX : LFS could crash when many cars were in view (e.g. during MPR)
FIX : Vista 64 power save switched off monitor in full screen mode
FIX : No response in List of Hosts after failing to join a host
FIX : Lightmap (lighting on cars) was positioned inaccurately
FIX : Follower view angle setting changed when LFS restarted
FIX : Closing X connects (message in List of Hosts screen)
FIX : Shine on wheels flickered while editing wheel colour
FIX : ABS now works in reverse

Changes from Z to Z10 :

Updated wheels on Formula BMW
Implemented ABS brakes in XRG / RB4 / FXO / XRT / FZ5
Improved wheel drawing system including rotating brake discs
Improved shadows - sharper and ambient shadow effect now included
InSim : New packets to start / search replays and take screenshots
InSim : Traction Control and ABS are now reported in IS_NPL packet
FIX : Mouse steering was stuck on full lock after minimising window
FIX : Player name was wrong in entry screen on entry or after replay
FIX : Added checks to prevent guests joining with no user name or ID
FIX : OOS starting race after joining autocross host in entry screen

DOWNLOADS :

PATCH Z to Z15 (Version Z must already be installed) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs. ... me=LFS_PATCH_Z_TO_Z15.exe (1.9 MB)

DEDICATED HOST Z15 (non-graphical version for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_Z15.zip (1.6 MB)
First pic is standart shadows, second is same pic with test shadows, and 3rd is test shadows. Using latest NVidia drivers for x86_64.
Attached images
StandartShadows.jpg
TestShadows_1.jpg
TestShadows_2.jpg
Quote from Shadowww :First pic is standart shadows, second is same pic with test shadows, and 3rd is test shadows. Using latest NVidia drivers for x86_64.

What Wine Version are you guys using? I have 1.1.23 here, and the shadows in LFS are flawless since I updated to this version.

And by the way, big thanks for caring about us few linux users
Quote from Test Driver :What Wine Version are you guys using? I have 1.1.23 here, and the shadows in LFS are flawless since I updated to this version.

Do you mean they are flawless in this latest patch (Z15) only or also in previous patches with the new shadows?

Or do you have to press SHIFT+K to get correct shadows?
Quote from Scawen :Do you mean they are flawless in this latest patch (Z15) only or also in previous patches with the new shadows?

Or do you have to press SHIFT+K to get correct shadows?

With Wine 1.1.23, all versions of LFS (just tested Z, Z13, and Z15) diplay the shadows perfectly fine. And in Z15 I can't see any difference between shift+k and no shift+k, both shadows look fine.

Slightly Offtopic:

I don't understand the change. Did you (mean to) improve the shadows? Or just looking for wider compatibility even in Wine/Linux direction?

I am just curious...

Regards,
Steffen
Well... shadows (up to version Z) used to work fine in Windows or in Wine. Then with the recent shadow improvements, after we solved various problems, they worked fine in Windows, but several users reported a problem in Wine. I think it is good that some people use Linux instead of Windows, so I'd be quite happy if the shadows would work in Wine as well. So I decided to try one small experiment, to put in a SHIFT+K switch to toggle between two different methods of producing the shadow textures. On a Windows computer, where it's working correctly, the two methods should look exactly the same, only the TEST version is a bit slower.

Surprisingly enough, there is some success. Shadowww's images show that the "draw to texture" (TEST) method works quite well (still with some problems) but the "CopyRects" (faster) method does not work. That is a better result than I expected.

NOTE : This suggests there is a problem with the D3D8 "CopyRects" function in some versions of Wine (if anyone wants to report that on the Wine forums - but maybe you should discuss your Wine version and graphics card and drivers here first so we find out what combination causes the problem - to make it easy for the Wine developers to reproduce / identify the problem).
Quote from Scawen :Well... shadows (up to version Z) used to work fine in Windows or in Wine. Then with the recent shadow improvements, after we solved various problems, they worked fine in Windows, but several users reported a problem in Wine. I think it is good that some people use Linux instead of Windows, so I'd be quite happy if the shadows would work in Wine as well. So I decided to try one small experiment, to put in a SHIFT+K switch to toggle between two different methods of producing the shadow textures. On a Windows computer, where it's working correctly, the two methods should look exactly the same, only the TEST version is a bit slower.

Surprisingly enough, there is some success. Shadowww's images show that the "draw to texture" (TEST) method works quite well (still with some problems) but the "CopyRects" (faster) method does not work. That is a better result than I expected.

NOTE : This suggests there is a problem with the D3D8 "CopyRects" function in some versions of Wine (if anyone wants to report that on the Wine forums - but maybe you should discuss your Wine version and graphics card and drivers here first so we find out what combination causes the problem - to make it easy for the Wine developers to reproduce / identify the problem).

Thanks a lot for the quick answer scawen. Dont worry, i didnt mean to question your decisions, i was just curious what idea was behind this. Its clear now!
Good work dev's. This should please the whiner crowd. Also for the shadow glitch does it happen in low res too or just highres? try that guys :P
I had one small graphical error using the RAC on FE club, whereby there was what looked like a grey lamp post sticking out of the engine cover of my car but it disappeared once i pitted and never came back as yet.

I will keep trying and see if i can reproduce it.
Shadows in this patch (Z15) work fine when i switch to TEST, I don't see them in STANDARD (low res shadows) or I see that weird black square (hi res shadows). Shadows worked fine in official Z patch.
Using wine-1.0 (latest autodelivered Ubuntu package - I got lazy with these modern distros ).

nVidia Geforce 6800
nvidia-glx-new 169.12+2.6.24.18-24.1
Quote from danthebangerboy : I will keep trying and see if i can reproduce it.

That's 99% overheating of graphics card, to reproduce you can put your card in a stove and then test if bug happens again.
Quote from Shadowww :That's 99% overheating of graphics card, to reproduce you can put your card in a stove and then test if bug happens again.

But it went after i pitted and my card has never got hot before, so probs just a glitch rather than heat i would say.
#15 - [d9]
hi,

i did some tests on lattest crossover for mac - based on wine, standard shadows are not rendered correctly, test shadows look ok only when low res shadows are on.

Attached images
crossover8_mac_testshadows-off_1.jpg
crossover8_mac_testshadows-off_2.jpg
crossover8_mac_testshadows-on_1.jpg
crossover8_mac_testshadows-on_2.jpg
Ubuntu 8.04 x64, Nvidia 8600GT w/180.51 drivers, WINE 1.1.24, shadows work fine at both high and low res, no difference between test shadows and standard shadows.
I'm using openSUSE 11.1 and wine 1.1.25

With shadows in low/hi res is messed. Using shift-k works perfectly

Thank's Scawen
Collecting some of these results together (can't see a pattern yet) :

Quote from Test Driver :With Wine 1.1.23, all versions of LFS (just tested Z, Z13, and Z15) diplay the shadows perfectly fine. And in Z15 I can't see any difference between shift+k and no shift+k, both shadows look fine.

Wine 1.1.23 - ok in ALL modes

Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :Shadows in this patch (Z15) work fine when i switch to TEST, I don't see them in STANDARD (low res shadows) or I see that weird black square (hi res shadows). Shadows worked fine in official Z patch.
Using wine-1.0 (latest autodelivered Ubuntu package - I got lazy with these modern distros ).

nVidia Geforce 6800
nvidia-glx-new 169.12+2.6.24.18-24.1

Wine 1.0 on GeForce 6800 - ok in TEST mode

Quote from wheel4hummer :Ubuntu 8.04 x64, Nvidia 8600GT w/180.51 drivers, WINE 1.1.24, shadows work fine at both high and low res, no difference between test shadows and standard shadows.

Wine 1.1.24 on nVidia 8600GT (180.51 drivers) - ok in ALL modes

Quote from Vagner :I'm using openSUSE 11.1 and wine 1.1.25

With shadows in low/hi res is messed. Using shift-k works perfectly

Wine 1.1.25 - ok in TEST mode
#20 - lvlo
Wine tests...
Here are my 5 cents for Wine testing...

Ubuntu 9.04 i386
Nvidia FX5200 (driver version 173.14.16)
Wine 1.1.25

Standart shadows hi-res:

Test shadows hi-res:

Standart shadows low-res:

Test shadows low-res:

In my case this issue is still present, but it's nice to see that LFS developers take care about it

UPD: I've added info about Z15 patch to Wine's bugzilla: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16985
NOTE : I cleaned up the spam. For anyone who wants to know what on earth I am doing fixing test patch bugs while we are waiting for the Scirocco, I have for some weeks been working on things which have a bearing on the Scirocco and LFS in general. I don't want to announce what I have been working on until the results are good enough that we know it will be released. I took a week out to fix some bugs of various importance, to keep the bug sheet down.

EDIT : Also moved the FPS v CPU discussion to its own off topic thread (as it is not related to the test patch). And I moved the plain "thanks" comments to to the "Posts moved here after processing" thread. In fact a plain "thanks" is nice but not all that helpful (too many "thanks" and "thumbs up" clutter up the thread). If you do want to say thanks, please try the patch first, maybe have a look at some of the fixes, then if the patch runs ok and the fixes worked, you could post a report here that you've tested and all is well - that is a more useful post.
I've tested the patch and everything seems to be ok. I'm glad for MRT5's dashboard, it's very nice, finally working!
hi i found a bug with the F08
i cant see anything on my steering wheel : like speed enc.
(fxo bug 1.jpg for my view settings )

and when i turn Steer and Driver off (fxo bug 1.2.jpg ) then it shows the speed enc what u normally see on your steeringwheel.

this is since Patch Z
Attached images
fxo bug 1.2.jpg
fxo bug 1.jpg
Quote from Bass-Driver :hi i found a bug with the F08
i cant see anything on my steering wheel : like speed enc.
(fxo bug 1.jpg for my view settings )

and when i turn Steer and Driver off (fxo bug 1.2.jpg ) then it shows the speed enc what u normally see on your steeringwheel.

this is since Patch Z

I can't reproduce that with my install (neither t13 nor z15). Could you try it with a fresh install (in a new dir) to see if maybe something went wrong in the patch process?
Quote from three_jump :I can't reproduce that with my install (neither t13 nor z15). Could you try it with a fresh install (in a new dir) to see if maybe something went wrong in the patch process?

i notice that i'm the only one with this bug so i go install a fresh lfs.
thx
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z15 (online compatible)
(287 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG