The online racing simulator
LFS Custom Car "Contest" WIPs
(180 posts, started )
Here's a little "contest" we r unofficially organising, post here YOUR 3d models of the cars you would like to see in LFS.
Rules:

-u can basically model ANY car you want as long as its not an existing one. (you can mix different cars)
-only pure 3D models
-u can post reference pics along with ur model renders
-no photoshoped cars made out of LFS existing ones
-keep ur model as low in polys as possible
-always post a wireframe of ur model
-there's no timelimit, take your time

ps. if u need a good tutorial, i would suggest searching for the "box modelling a nissan 300ZX" one, which comes in .pdf version. (u can google it).

EDIT: heres the tutorial i was talking about: http://s57.yousendit.com/d.asp ... DGZ83B7I5NRH25T63K3Z8T5GF
i've started working on my model, and i already have finished with the basic shape of the car..
im working using blueprints of an existing car, and modifying the body on the fly
any1 else working on this contest?
#3 - Spurs
Sorry, I don't know how to model and I don't have enough time to learn it
i'll start, i got a good idea this morning of what i wanted to model for fun anyway
we are all doing it for fun :P
well im learning too.. cause i dont have that much of experience in car modelling
i might get some software and have a bash at this, it sounds fun but ive never 3d modeled seriously before and it looks kinda hard
so.. here's my first preview
its a Le Mans hard top racing car, i mainly used the audi R8's blueprints as reference + various pics i found on google.. i hope u like it, if u have any comments, please post asap, before i make any other mistakes
Attached images
forum1.jpg
I love prototypes Only thing I see techincally wrong is the hardtop, way too slanted, you actually wouldn't be able see out of that, let alone sit in it .

I mostly sketch and draw my own prototype designs, and I've always wanted to get a 3D result. But ehhh oh well. They are cool prototypes, just think of what a Mitsubishi Evo could look like as a prototype :zombie: wild stuff, lol.
unusual design.. almost to unusual (also.. meshsmoother? why lol) im extremely thrown off by the odd shape, its.. to futuristic, definetly not something you would see, plus why are there inlets for the rear wheels?
#10 - axus
Quote from XCNuse :unusual design.. almost to unusual (also.. meshsmoother? why lol) im extremely thrown off by the odd shape, its.. to futuristic, definetly not something you would see, plus why are there inlets for the rear wheels?

Rear brake ducts?

EDIT: Oh, those are leading air out :S

How's this for futuristic though:
and another preview..
tried to fix the hard top
Quote from axus :Rear brake ducts?

EDIT: Oh, those are leading air out :S

no they werent.. the holes were facing front, i just didnt add any materials yet, and im not planning on making real holes on that part yet, maybe later
#13 - axus
The things with the headlights in them are pointing down too much - that would cause too much drag and not create enough downforce. If something is being hit head on by the air like the nose bits, it doesn't make sense for it to be at more than 45degrees like yours seems to be.
theres an intake right under the nose
and for the headlights.. thats the exact shape on the Audi R8 :S
Headlights may seem too flat for creating drag, but it is the way some prototype designs are... although I like a more sleek look personally (ie Porsche LMP2 and BMW LMR)
ohhh this sounds like fun!!! even tho i mainly concentrate on animation rather than modelling....

have a model of a viper somewhere which i done in the first year of my computer animation course and not touched it since... its a pretty bad model as my skills then were very basic then ... maybe now that my modelling skills have advanced a little i might modify it in someway to mak eit LFS worthy ...

the viper has too many polys in places (this is due to me being begginer when i modelled it)

also dont have a wireframe because i cant find the cd with the files on it... DOH!!!

ps might take a while as my uni projects get 1rst priority!

*edit* please ignore the shinyness!! lol for sum reason everyone new to modelling and animation always wants to make things look shiny!!.... its not till later he reliases how crappy that looks lol.
mad
Attached images
viper45.jpg
#18 - axus
Just thought I'd post some ideas for cars that might do well:

--- LFS Based cars ---

XR GT GTR (RWD competitor for XFR and UFR)
RA GTR (Racing version of the raceabout - although I don't know how this may go with the guys that make the raceabout)
RB4 GTR-X (Rally racing version of the RB4)

FZ LMR, XR LMR, FXO LMR (Simmilar to the current batch of race cars but with 600 or so hp)

--- Real life-like cars ---

Old LeMans Prototype - we have a current one on the way, how about something from the 60's
An early Formula-1 like car
Current day road legal track day car - Radical SR8 / Ultima GTR or something of the like
A saloon car - we have no 4 door cars in LFS - something like a BMW M5 / Mercedes E55 / Audi RS6 might do well
Touring cars
Supercars (something like the McLaren F1, Ferrari F40/Enzo, Porsche Carrera GT, Pagani Zonda - 600hp or so with a bit of downforce to keep them on the road)
4 Wheel drive car to compete with the FZ50/Raceabout/LX6 - something like an Audi RS4
Stock car - NASCAR
I think it's better to have brand new cars than some "tuned" versions of cars that already exist in LFS

@ramtech: how would the car look without roof?
i agree about having brand new cars in lfs instead of tuned existing ones (thats the job of the developpers)
Hyperactive: nah, i wanted it to be with a hardroof so i made it with one
( i dunno if i should leave it all glass or not though..)
XCNuse, or any1 else.. any idea about how to make the headlights produce real light? (but have them glow abit, not just produce light)
er.. oh.. im using the old vray so i cant tell you, i just use a vraymaterialwrapper, put in a standard material into it, raise the GI setting it has to.. whatever, then go into standard, and increase its 'color' to 100 or whatever needed, then render..
well heres mine thus far.. i know its real, but something very similar to it would fit in PERFECTLY with one of the LX's

still have to make a roll bar and the interior..

----- took picture out for sake of 56kers and.. bandwidth lol

obviously its meshsmoothed.. thats because i .. have no experience in game modeling

(180 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG