The online racing simulator
LFS Educational Movies
(129 posts, started )
LFS Educational Movies
Having problems with codecs? Download VLC – the cross-platform media player and streaming server for all your movie viewing needs. It has native support for most available formats, so no extra hassle is required to view different movies on the net.

So I finally got my skinny ass back in front of my video capture and editing programs. Recaptured all footage (in proper size this time), made completely new editing templates (making it easier to edit overall, create text overlays and freeze frames) and did better versions of old previous movies and two new episodes.

Part 1: Exiting garage and joining session
Part 2: Pitstop
Part 3: Rejoining after a spin *new*
Part 4: Close racing and overtaking *new*

There are some bad cuts, misaligned text overlays and typos, but hopefully they are fun to watch! Shoot for improvements and feedback once again.

Yes I know, they're quite big so more compressing is probably needed to keep them afloat (or upload to Youtube), but I got some spare web space and bandwith so suck 'em up while they last!

"Part 5: Blue flags" should be next, but I have to design a bloody magazine first so I got a busy week ahead.
#2 - Vain
Great movies. Well done!
I actually enjoyed watching them (though I didn't learn anything), so really great work!

I suggest you to dedicate one movie or a part of one to helpful tools, like the Pitspotter. Not like saying "And the eleventh commandmend is 'Thou shall use the Pitspotter!'" but more like introducing that tool so people can decide wether to use it or not.

Vain
#3 - Gunn
Very good work in my opinion.
Excellent stuff, maybe an "overtaking manuevers", a "how to drive around T1" and a "how to anticipate the car infront braking" next

Dan,
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
#5 - Vain
I think these are so good stuff they should be shipped with LFS. Or the movies should be used to make ingame-cutscenes for the training to safe filesize.

Vain
Like I stated in the previous thread, awesome job Keep up the good work. These videos should be in the liveforspeed.net download section for beginners to download imo.
very good videos.

** Off topic ** Just wondering why Vains post count has been on 555 for the past 2 posts???
#8 - Gunn
Moved to beginner's section and made sticky for now. Perhaps when spankmeyer is satisfied with his end results we can better formalise the way they are presented.
#9 - axus
Great work! Very nice videos indeed!
Nice work spanky

Very clear and precise, just what is needed.

Someone mentioned a T1 guide, which is a crucial part of learning IMO. If you can get through T1 unscathed, you can use the same techniques throughout the race. Just to be pedantic - T1 video would include the Start too, i.e. 'Race Starts and Turn1'.
Great stuff for beginners!

One suggestion would be to get a voice over reading the text on screen. I think this would give it more "involved" feel to the instructions. Hmmm, now there's a thought devs - willing to voice over?
Nice thread. How about "how not to panic, showing control and skill when something bad happens", which could be a blend of LFS footage, footage showing the guy behind the wheel, and one of those wonderful pedal shots showing the cool footwork.

@Zero7 - where have you been hiding? never noticed anyone from round these parts before (well, apart from Gopher04)
Great.

Btw how are planning to make movies that concern corner rights, starts etc? "Surviving T1" probably is pretty easy to make just in a public server but with cornering you need some other players.

And I would suggest that don't do all of the movies with the XRT/BL GP. Most of the n00bs probably are demo players but I don't think half of them even knows this forum exists. And showing off some S2 tracks in the movies some players would get a reason to buy the license. Plus there are better sections in Aston/Kyoto (for e.g. cornering movies) than in BL GP.
Quote from Bob Smith :

@Zero7 - where have you been hiding? never noticed anyone from round these parts before (well, apart from Gopher04)

Well Bob, I've only really been playing LFS for about 6 months or so and completely addicted! And yes, I'm from good 'ol Pompey as well mate!
Maybe this was allready suggested cause i didnt read all the posts here, but an instructional video for basic driving techniques would be awesome for beginners too. Basically just showing proper trail braking techniques for rwd/fwd/awd. Of course going back to more elementary techniqes and warnings im sure would be helpfull to newbs too. I never really 'got' racing games till i actually went online and had to look up how your actually supposed to drive. For instance at the age of 11 or 12 i thought that the best racing line was to always stay at the inside of the curb. Its not as common sense as most people think.
Havnt watched the vids yet but props for helping out newbs as well as the rest of us who might become 'victims' of them.
What was with the movie.
Fantastic stuff, Spankmeyer. I whine about poor driving standards, you do something about it. I take my hat off to you.
Obviously better way would be to have them as spr or mpr, 100kB vs 10MB.
Quote from Moonclaw :Obviously better way would be to have them as spr or mpr, 100kB vs 10MB.

Possibly, but you can't add overlay's like spankmeyer has done or add any other effects. For instance different camera angles, pausing at specific parts of the tutorial e.g. cutting the apex, passing manoeuvres and so on.

These could be expanded to include track tutorials as well.
Quote from Moonclaw :Obviously better way would be to have them as spr or mpr, 100kB vs 10MB.

I think it was a better decision to make actual movies instead of replay files. Like said, movies with overlays and freeze frames are more user-friendly lesson interface than raw replay files.
And since these first parts do not focus on car handling - which replay files are great - movies seemed like a better option overall. 10 Mb file is not actually gargantuan file size these days.

Quote from KurtG85 :Maybe this was allready suggested cause i didnt read all the posts here, but an instructional video for basic driving techniques would be awesome for beginners too.

Today I'll do the "Resuming race after a spin" -movie, but after that I'm planning to focus on actual racing.
This is great for newcomers to the community, I must admit to being guilty of some rather poor pit skills when I first started simming with LFS but after 3 weeks common sense has prevailed

If you need anybody for making any more movies I'd be interested (as would a few other members Im sure) in making a video on how to get a good line off the starting grid and successfully negotiate a safe passage through T1.

A drafting video would be cool as well which you will no doubt cover in your overtaking video.
#22 - Gunn
I see no reason why advanced techniques can't be tackled too. Nobody has a monopoly on knowledge and experience so we all just keep on learning.

**EDIT: Just a note to new racers who might catch these vids, notice how the driver turns his head to check for oncoming cars? This is a really cool skill to have. At first it feels a bit strange to take your eyes of the track, but persist and practice and before long it will become second-nature. It's one of those little skills that are often taken for granted, but this can really improve your racing and in my opinion is one of the essential things to learn. Learn to look left, right and behind. Don't just rely on your mirrors.
Quote from KurtG85 :Maybe this was allready suggested cause i didnt read all the posts here, but an instructional video for basic driving techniques would be awesome for beginners too. Basically just showing proper trail braking techniques for rwd/fwd/awd. Of course going back to more elementary techniqes and warnings im sure would be helpfull to newbs too. I never really 'got' racing games till i actually went online and had to look up how your actually supposed to drive. For instance at the age of 11 or 12 i thought that the best racing line was to always stay at the inside of the curb. Its not as common sense as most people think.

Real life onboard videos are better for that purpose. It may sound funny but that's why we call LFS as a simulation.

ps. Spankmeyer, what kind of view settings do you use in LFS (those g force settings and move view with animation)? Because it looked somehow different than mine own or are you using TrackIR?
He propably has Look Function set to Steer, so your ingame head turns as you turn your wheel.
Quote from deggis :Real life onboard videos are better for that purpose. It may sound funny but that's why we call LFS as a simulation.

ps. Spankmeyer, what kind of view settings do you use in LFS (those g force settings and move view with animation)? Because it looked somehow different than mine own or are you using TrackIR?

I always liked to set g-force movement fairly high in LFS, seemed a lot more immersive although such settings takes some time to get used to. Detailed settings:

FOV: 85
1g head tilt: maxed at 2 deg
1g lateral shift: halfway at 0.050 m
1g forward shift: halfway at 0.050 m
1g vertical shift: quarter at 0.025 m

Look function set to steer with sensitivity 1.50

Normally I use instant button look but set it to smooth while making these videos.

LFS Educational Movies
(129 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG