The online racing simulator
Server option: % off the WR times
See the attached pictures. They are self-explanatory.

White 1% = Only racers within 101% of the actual WR can join

Red 1% = You can´t join this server as your hotlap is NOT within 101% of the actual WR.

ALL = WR+ feature disabled.

A server site option to only allow racers with equal or better hotlap time to enter the server as an on/off feature.

The hotlap of a racer would have to be checked when on the connection list already. Possible ?

I see a lot of advantages by introducing it (having the right setting, of course).

-Harder for any Multiple Demo Account User to join servers with several accounts
-Harder for crashers/wreckers (noobs) to ruin others races
-Easier to find racers, with about the same race pace then you.
-Less work for any server admin
-Adds motivation to improve a certain hotlap in order to get on a popular server
-Less private servers

But again :
The hotlaps of a racer would have to be checked when entering or in the connection list menu already. Is this possible and is this a good or bad idea in your opinion ?

Edit: People with admin password should always be allowed to join this server, regardless the servers actual WR+ setting. And please don´t get stuck on this 101% setting. It was just a fictive number and I´m aware that this would probably become a almost never populated server.

- you tell me the downside of it.
Attached images
WR+ time.JPG
WR+ time 2.JPG
I'm sure this can be done with Airio IIRC
Quote from R.Kolz :
-Harder for any Muliple Demo Account User to join servers with several accounts

sry don´t get that: the just have to drive two laps and they have an ok pb again

Quote from R.Kolz :
-Harder for crashers/wreckers (noobs) to ruin others races

faster is not better! i know slow drivers with that its fun to drive and i know fast drivers that every (fight)actions the do is like: WTF are you doing?!

the rest true would be a interesting feature but not to many servers should have that add on (than no one could make a online pb)
and there are some servers at that you have to have a minimum pb (insim)
Quote from John5200 :
faster is not better! i know slow drivers with that its fun to drive and i know fast drivers that every (fight)actions the do is like: WTF are you doing?!

well, from what i experienced it is more likely to have clean and close fights with quicker people. of course there are some dirty ones, but in general i'd disagree with you.
Quote from boothy :I'm sure this can be done with Airio IIRC

Probably. But then racers have to be on a server already. They shouldn´t even be allowed to join IMO.

I still remember the huge amount of messages on one of the CTRA servers:

" Player X connected - Player X got kicked "
Quote from John5200 :sry don´t get that: the just have to drive two laps and they have an ok pb again

how about we put 1.13.x time limit on the server, im sure the noobs wont be in
Quote from John5200 :sry don´t get that: the just have to drive two laps and they have an ok pb again

Your comment is about the Multiple Demo Account Owners or better the muliple joining of one and the same person in order to get the overhand and ban the rest of the racers:

Well, true but he/her would have to do it with every account they want to join a server..

And another question remains: Are these guys actually able to race within a 180% of the actual WR ? Not sure..
Nice idea.
I support the idea.
It will mean that servers in general get more demanding, that you have to work hard for your representation. And we all know that if we work hard for something, we will respect it more and therefore result in a better behaviour on the server.

It will also be important to have less demanding servers, gradually, so people find a server they think fits their driving skils at the moment and can help them to improve.

But, what can be done, if people get worser? Some people, get pb which, they made when they begun..then they start driving less serious or they have been away for some time.

Therefore I think the time (not neccesarily the pb) which is inside the margin, should be a time which is set not longer than 1 month before the attempt to enter the server
Hi! I see several serious issues with this idea, I'll try to summarize them here:

1) It would have to be supported directly in LFS, both on dedicated servers and in GUI clients using special settings. That means work for the LFS developers. Considering the (rather long now) delay with Scirocco... hm...

2) I do not think they would like the idea. I believe the motto is "to unite the community, not to separate it". That was a thing that drove changes to demo in patch Z (registration, LFSW stats, combining demo/s2 servers).

3) Often there are several different car types available on each server. You would have to be (by the game itself) limited to choosing only the car where you have sufficient lap time. Complications.

4) Current LFSW PB data are highly unreliable, it is possible to artificially (using layouts) get any time you want on any track. I've seen people with lots of LFSW PB lap times lower than 1 second. The solution may be to use single player times, but that requires uploading SPR files, checking them... Hmmm... Possible, but...

5) After track or car(s) change, what happens? Lots of people may be kicked suddenly. Everyone would first have to devote substantial time to learning many track/car combinations, making sufficient lap times alone, uploading them. And he will still run the risk some server kicks him after track change.

Well, well. Generally speaking, I believe InSim applications may offer more in this respect. True, it will not show in available servers list, but it may inform you after connect what time you need etc. The server may be opened to anyone most of the day, time-locked in prime time with dependence on the current number of connections (it is silly to kick people for bad time from an almost empty server), etc. All this is possible using InSim, absolutely flexible.

Ehm, actually I mentioned here things that the InSim application I created already does. You can no doubt come up with other ideas. I believe this thread was created to offer a solution to the never-ending fight will people that do not like to race, only come to spoil others' fun. I'm afraid there cannot be a perfect solution. The best is having good admins around or to delegate partial admin rights to other nice people that are often online. Limitations set up by InSim applications may also help a bit, but things like limited number of rejoins influence also decent players that run into some troubles, so care must be taken not to create too restrictive environment.

OK, sorry for this long post, just summarizing some of my views and experiences.

Quote from EliteAti :how about we put 1.13.x time limit on the server, im sure the noobs wont be in

Actually, nobody will be there.
I like this idea very much, we use a similar kind of system in the banger servers in what are known as graded meetings.
This grading system is used in a few real life motor sports as well, and your grade is often shown by the colour of your roof, with the lowest grade starting at the front of the grid and lining up in order.

The roof gradings that we use together with the points system are....

White (new driver or driver with few or no points accumulated)
Yellow (fairly new driver with more points accumulated)
Blue (experianced driver with good finishes and points)
Red (very good driver who wins alot and scores alot of points)
Superstar (the best of the best, roof colour is country of origins flag usually, representing very good finishes and high points throughout)
Silver (2nd place in a world title event)
Gold (winner of world title event)

This makes for good competitve racing, as the quicker ones at the back have to make their way past the slower drivers in order to win, which is always good racing to be involved in.
I am not opposed to the idea, but what I kinda dislike is that it would segregate people.

Also, since racing with faster guys is a very good way to improve, people from a lower level may progress even slower.

Otherwise I am not against the idea, as long as its goal is to promote close racing rather than just creating 'classes' among drivers
I can see that it would be very hard to implement, looking at especially EQ Worry´s post. Let me share my thoughts, I don´t hope I jump too much in it:
IMO a server with some insim application running has always been more popular than just a plain LFS server. An insim application might be able to do the same job, but right now you can´t see if a server has an insim application running (and what kind of) from the connection list. Looking for a race this again might result in that you just miss these nice insim set-up servers. In addition, the insim application only starts to work when a person enters the server. But these insims often have been used to set a certain minimum required time for a racer - see CTRA. This WR+ is about the same.

This feature ( WR+) might make our online-racing just a bit more interesting - with some nice side effects as well (OP).

Example on how it could work for a WR+ enabled server:
Let´s say three GTR cars are enabled on a popular server like e.g. the Conedodgers GTR @AS3 server.
Like EQ Worry states, we can´t use online PB´s right now, as there is some chance of manipulated PB´s.
Let´s then say (if technically possible), when entering the connection list your uploaded hotlaps will be checked and indicate a racer in white/red numbers on the connection list if you would be able to join this particular server or not. It would all depend on the server setting in combination with your uploaded hotlap.
Please remember there still will be hundreds of servers without any PB requirements at all, in my oppinion.
This might become a great challenge for some of us and there would be more focus towards all of the hotlapping section as well.
Back to the example: In order to get on the Conedodgers GTR @AS3 server, you´d have to have a fast enough hotlap for all three cars.
I already can see racers in hotlap mode, trying to beat a required time in fx. the XRR in order to be allowed to enter this server...

I really don´t think my suggestion will kind of separate the LFS online racers in any way.
Right now there are 896 servers online, 77 populated with more than 1 and 48 where only one single player is online. 771 servers are empty. That a lot of empty servers and there will still be loads of servers for all kind of racing and "cocktails" of drivers and races. As a matter of fact: I think that only a minority of servers admins would chose some "Elite" setting like 104% as it´s "better" to race against a lot of drivers

Track changes. I don´t know how to solve this one TBO. Disable WR+ if you work with track changes maybe?
And finally: Eq Worry is right : All in all it´s just an idea I got after I got notice of some server closing due to racers multiple account usage and I´m not at all sure if this WR+ is technically or otherwise possible to create. Neighter do I have the prove that it´d be a good feature to implement in LFS.

#14 - Woz
I think its just far better to have this option on the qualify session.

The admin sets the % allowed and after qualify if you are that much slower than the fastest qualify lap you sit out the race until the next one.

Better way to match the drivers than against WR
Quote from Woz :I think its just far better to have this option on the qualify session.

The admin sets the % allowed and after qualify if you are that much slower than the fastest qualify lap you sit out the race until the next one.

Better way to match the drivers than against WR

Missed this post, sorry. That´s another good way, easier to implement as well, I guess - as long as you are able to see the server set settings in the lobby (online servers list) already.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG