The online racing simulator
LFSWorld support for .eng files
(29 posts, started )
LFSWorld support for .eng files
LFSWorld would have support for uploading .eng (engine sound) files just like it happens now for skins. Those files are quite small and thus would download quickly, also using relatively little bandwidth. If this feature would be deemed to use too much precious bandwidth, then it could be made a premium (pay-per-use) service.

Ideally there would be option to enable or disable the use of custom engine sounds, both in server (for spec class races) and client (for those who prefer the same sound for all cars).

Yes there are more important things, no it has not been suggested before AFAICT Comments are welcome
If it is that i can hear other peoples sounds and i could enable and disable, then +1, good idea
Hmm +1 as long you can disable it anytime you want
+9, would be very good so i dont listen to the same sound from all cars!
Erm, I am no car expert, but why would the same car with the same specs and the same engine and same exhaust system sound different?

I think people are wanting more content and this is their answer to it.
I don't know if thats such a good idea, as everyone has his LFS setup diffrent. I often installed diffrent eng files, and while some were much too quite, some especially clipping ones, were very loud, at least at my normal LFS settings. And i don't how a field with like 32 diffrent engine files would work overall, clipping would be awful.
#7 - bbman
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA : Yup. Seems feasible too...
How bad could you make an engine sound anyway ? There's a challenge...

Your question should be "how hard can it be to make a good one?", then take a look at the engine sound sharing thread... *shudders*
Since we are up with this kind of sharing, then i think ill suggest that we could see eachothers custom views.
-1 Don't like the idea. Don't like to have custom horn sounds or engine sounds
Firstly that there are more importaint things to improve.
Secondly there would be a lot noobs who will make stupid ,unrealistic sounds.

Maybye its good idea if only if you will pay 1 pound or less and then you could uploud engine sounds
Quote from oldnavy :-1
Firstly that there are more importaint things to improve.
Secondly there would be a lot noobs who will make stupid ,unrealistic sounds.

Maybye its good idea if only if you will pay 1 pound or less and then you could uploud engine sounds

There should be option to add skin upload slots for 1 pound, (count of cars) / 2 slots for 1 pound will be nice.
Quote from JasonJ :Erm, I am no car expert, but why would the same car with the same specs and the same engine and same exhaust system sound different?

On a strict basis you're right of course, but it's quite common to see skins that mimic the appearance of a specific RL car, and a customized .eng would just fit in the same frame.

Quote from ACCAkut :And i don't how a field with like 32 diffrent engine files would work overall, clipping would be awful.

As long as every single .eng file does not suffer from clipping itself, why 32 of them would clip when used together?

Although I generally agree on the poor quality of .eng files floating around on the forum (I was quite amazed to hear how bad some popular .engs actually clip!), I think a solution could be found to that problem.

E.g. implement an ".eng Validator" on LFSWorld that discards files that clip or clip more than a preset threshold.
Quote from NightShift :As long as every single .eng file does not suffer from clipping itself, why 32 of them would clip when used together? .

I experienced it I think, i use modified .eng files myself, all of them are non-clipping, but in a field of GTRs it started to clip nonetheless (could see it in the shift-A menu, and hear it, cause the sound disappered completly) They interfere with each other somehow.
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
Seems like a good suggestion, I'd like to hear other peoples sounds online, HOWEVER, there should be a option to turn if off, as some can be terrible.
Quote from The Very End :-1 Don't like the idea. Don't like to have custom horn sounds or engine sounds

i'm going to have to -1 too... what's to keep people from making really dumb looping sounds and using them instead of an engine-like sound... we'll end up with a bunch of cars sounding like ambulances and the ghostbusters siren.
^lol!!! ... *after 1 day* (T.T)
Quote from ACCAkut :They interfere with each other somehow.

Yep I was thinking about some interference problem too, but it might be a shortcoming or bug of the sound system
I'm currently working on new engine sounds and I'm gonna have to give this a -1, I've tried other peoples sounds and NONE of them sound right, they either clip like mad or sound like something from a horror movie.
Along the same line of thought, remove .eng editing altogether or create a group of super-users who are only allowed to do that
Quote from DragonCommando :I'm currently working on new engine sounds and I'm gonna have to give this a -1, I've tried other peoples sounds and NONE of them sound right, they either clip like mad or sound like something from a horror movie.

Even the standard sounds tend to clip on certain cars. As long as it sounds nice I'll just tweak the volume and stuff so it clips to a usable level.
OnTopic, no.. as ive heard lots of strange sounds, like an RC car etcetera. However, it does get quite annoying to keep on listening to the same engine sound every single time..
Offtopic, i feel stupid asking this, but what the hell is clipping exactly?
Quote from Stiggie :OnTopic, no.. as ive heard lots of strange sounds, like an RC car etcetera. However, it does get quite annoying to keep on listening to the same engine sound every single time..
Offtopic, i feel stupid asking this, but what the hell is clipping exactly?

clipping is where the sound wave is louder than what is physically allowed, so the excess gets "clipped". or at least that's how i always pictured it.
Quote from bunder9999 :clipping is where the sound wave is louder than what is physically allowed, so the excess gets "clipped". or at least that's how i always pictured it.

That is exactly right, the sound wave reaches a higher peak than the hardware or software is allowing and it just clips off the part it can't play. sometimes this can be bad enough that you get horrible crackling and poping.

I hear this all to often in sound systems where someone who doesn't know what they are doing tries to get good sound.
When I hear clipping, the sound is being "chopped off" at the peaks, so it makes my brain go....

Quote :
uh? what..... where is the rest of that sound wave?.... the sound was getting louder, now it just stops, must be a severe blockage in the ear canal, I'll make the hearing centre aware there is a blockage in the ear canal. Hey....., HEARING CENTRE! there is a blockage in the ear canal, turn up the hearing sensitivity so we can hear things better over here,.................
.(0.01mS passes)
.(0.01mS passes)
.(0.01mS passes)
ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
It's not blocked at all! TURN DOWN the Sensitivity ! TURN DOWN the Sensitivity ! TURN DOWN the Sensitivity !

and this feeling is going at 100 hz so it IS VERY ***** ANNOYING

When I hear bad clipping my head feels like it will explode anytime soon.
May I quote myself?

Quote from NightShift :E.g. implement an ".eng Validator" on LFSWorld that discards files that clip or clip more than a preset threshold.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG