The online racing simulator
USF1 - US racing team entering F1 in 2010!
This is something I read on the web site of Radio Canada.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/spo ... 204equipeamericaine.shtml

Here's a translation:
Quote :
A new team would participate in the 2010 world championship. And it would be an American team.

Its name: USf1. Its slogan: "Made in America". Its goal: show the American know-how.

The team would be based in Charlotte, North Carolina, right in the middle of the NASCAR universe.

According to German and British sources, Ken Anderson, former technical director of Ligier in 1988 would be the father of the project. He drew the IRL car which won the Indy 500 in 1997. The American worked in 2003 with NASCAR team CNC racing.

He would have decided, with associate Peter Windsor, former Williams team director, to make profit of new budget cuts in F1 to build this team from scratch. The testing interdiction during the season would permit them to work from Charlotte.

The USF1 team would profit from the agreement which goal's is to allow teams to sign engine contracts at the cost of 10 million dollars per season.

Furthermore, the team would use a wind tunnel which Anderson is co-proprietor of in North Carolina, Wind Shear, which dimensions permit the use of scale models.

The Autosport magazine also states that the project would have been agreed upon by other F1 teams. Ken Anderson still has to find American sponsors to finance the project, and the current economical situation could give him a hard time.

I hadn't noticed about this thing about Autosport magazine until I came to translate that text, but here's the link for it now:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73121

Additionally, here's the link to USF1's website, which is only the logo for the moment, but that proves something

http://www.usf1.com/

Personally, I think that's something that's been missing from F1, and could definitely make it much more interesting. There's nothing like a bit of over pond competition to spice things up a bit!
I wouldn't mind seeing an American based team in F1. I follow F1 a little bit as it is, but it honestly doesn't get much coverage over here and I don't want to wake up at 4 am to watch the races. There is a lot of racing knowledge down in North Carolina though and with the right people I'm sure this could turn into a decent team. Chances are though, it will be a failure, if it even happens at all.
Quote from UncleBenny :I wouldn't mind seeing an American based team in F1. I follow F1 a little bit as it is, but it honestly doesn't get much coverage over here and I don't want to wake up at 4 am to watch the races. There is a lot of racing knowledge down in North Carolina though and with the right people I'm sure this could turn into a decent team. Chances are though, it will be a failure, if it even happens at all.

It is indeed true that new teams lately have had a tendency to fail. However, I think this has mainly been caused so far by the incredible costs associated with F1. With the cuts in 2009, it could turn out different for the next team to join in. That thing helping with the costs of engine (and it seems, gearboxes), clearly would reduce the financial problems that all the new teams seem to have after a couple of years; especially the private ones.

Assuming that Mr. Anderson knows what he's doing and that agent Ecclestone doesn't try to suck him dry of his precioussss money, this could lead to something.
#4 - 5haz
Good luck to them.

And i'm not even being cynical or sarcastic.
I have a feeling it will be called USF1, have American branding, but be a British/European team with one token American driver (hopefully not Scott Speed).
I guess someone has to be at the back of the grid
Well they are American, if they keep to tradition they will steal ideas from the British and then claim they came up with it the moment it starts working. One of the guys involved apparently used to work for Williams.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Well they are American, if they keep to tradition they will steal ideas from the British and then claim they came up with it the moment it starts working. One of the guys involved apparently used to work for Williams.

Its the American way!
Quote from UncleBenny :Its the American way!

One thing is for sure, they will have the best looking uniforms and the coolest montage videos. I wonder if Marco Andretti will be interested, he is racing in A1GP at the moment, and I know he has IRL stuff going on, but if an American team got into F1 surely he would be first choice as a driver. If they do badly they could make a film about it starring Tom Cruise and call it Days of Blunder.
Didn't one of the Busch brothers get a bit monked off about losing a Toyota F1 test? If USF1 were to get Toyota backing, could that one wind up being at least a test? Toyota probably have the capability of supplying two customer outfits.
Maybe they'll be as patriotic as Force India in their driver choices
Quote from mythdat :I guess someone has to be at the back of the grid

exact first thing that i thought of.......
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :One thing is for sure, they will have the best looking uniforms and the coolest montage videos. I wonder if Marco Andretti will be interested, he is racing in A1GP at the moment, and I know he has IRL stuff going on, but if an American team got into F1 surely he would be first choice as a driver. If they do badly they could make a film about it starring Tom Cruise and call it Days of Blunder.

I imagine Marco would be all over the opportunity, as far as I can tell his main goal is to get to F1 some day.

Quote from duke_toaster :Didn't one of the Busch brothers get a bit monked off about losing a Toyota F1 test? If USF1 were to get Toyota backing, could that one wind up being at least a test? Toyota probably have the capability of supplying two customer outfits.

Kyle Busch was supposed to do an F1 test, but he had to attend the Nationwide awards banquet instead.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/he ... detail/081117101904.shtml

I couldn't see him EVER making it in F1, but I'd love to see him try it some day. His post-race interviews would certainly be entertaining, he's not one to keep his thoughts to himself.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :If they do badly they could make a film about it starring Tom Cruise and call it Days of Blunder.

You're on a roll.

People should remember that if FIA manages to make it possible to have 50m budget, in addition to the 5m engine deal for 2010, this isn't unlikely at all.
I think it is quite possible for a US F1 team to do well without outside factory assistance, there's some of the best facilities, engineers and genuine engineering innovation going on in America at the moment, particularly in stock car racing. Whilst big old V8s kept deliberately simple may seem obsolete and simple, which they are, there is still room for true innovation, Racecar Engineerings stock car supplement is often the most interesting bit. If anybody is capable to take radical rule changes in their stride it may well be a group of engineers/racing team that are currently racing in something with a proper open door to innovation (sportscar/American stuff?).
Seeing is believing

I aint seein' so I aint believin'
Something tells me that Mario and Michael Andretti will have a hand in this as a way to get Marco into F1. Marco is very talented and this might just be his chance to mix it with the big boys. This whole idea sounds very promising and I hope it works out, but it's way way too early to get one's hopes up.

Charlotte's only a couple hours from me; perhaps I'll drive down one day and ask if they need someone to mop the floors. That way I'll be able to tell chicks at the bar that I work for an F1 team.
HAHA marco andretti? The kid is a joke!!! If there was an American F1 team i would hope to god he wasnt our driver. There are 100 drivers in the US that have the money training and means to test for that seat that would blow the doors off Andretti. The only reason that kid ever made it out of go karts is because of his Last name.

Oh and deff have to steal all the ideas from those guys in england, I mean jeez americans actually trying to race without stealing every idea from the UK? wow wouldnt that be a joke
Quote from Modoff :HAHA marco andretti? The kid is a joke!!! If there was an American F1 team i would hope to god he wasnt our driver. There are 100 drivers in the US that have the money training and means to test for that seat that would blow the doors off Andretti. The only reason that kid ever made it out of go karts is because of his Last name.

Oh and deff have to steal all the ideas from those guys in england, I mean jeez americans actually trying to race without stealing every idea from the UK? wow wouldnt that be a joke

Adam Andretti :P
Goodluck to them, the US needs a team.

For anyone that says Americans can't engineer, your being just as stubborn and ignorant as any American ever is/was. But you will never see that...
Being based in Charlotte will give them a head start on their superspeedway program.

I'm kidding of course. They picked a good year to start, when the standard engine rules go into effect. I wish them well.
Quote from Lateralus :Something tells me that Mario and Michael Andretti will have a hand in this as a way to get Marco into F1. Marco is very talented and this might just be his chance to mix it with the big boys. This whole idea sounds very promising and I hope it works out, but it's way way too early to get one's hopes up.

So you support the concept of buying your way into an F1 seat?

F1, on a driving talent level however, doesn't have much credibility anyway so this wouldn't change much. How many other sports do you need upwards of £1m-5m of investment before you even sniff the big time?
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Goodluck to them, the US needs a team.

For anyone that says Americans can't engineer, your being just as stubborn and ignorant as any American ever is/was. But you will never see that...

They CAN engineer, but that's only when it comes to engineering someone to destroy someone else's 'engineered thing'.
Quote from BlueFlame :They CAN engineer, but that's only when it comes to engineering someone to destroy someone else's 'engineered thing'.

Ahh right, we are all war warmongering ignorant people, I forgot....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG