The online racing simulator
Setup management
(13 posts, started )
#1 - Woz
Setup management
There have been a number of ideas around setup management over the years involving folders, dates etc etc etc. I think we need something a little more tbh as even the folders idea is limiting and raises management issues.

It would be nice if setup files carried meta blocks that included the following data.

- Car type.
- Setup purpose (race, offroad, drag, other)
- Track linkage(all or 1+ tags e.g [AS1, BL1] for a setup that works on AS1 + BL1)
- Comment
- Date created
- Last modified

This would ease setup management and allow for a powerful and flexible means to filter setups in game.

The default for example when you join a track would be to only see setups for that track or tagged as All.
+1

That is a very simple and yet powerful suggestion!
+1 to any kind of setup management system that could be instored! :P
+1

Would also love to see some sort of version tracking so say you are designing a new set which becomes the first version then have an ability to see which settings are changed in subsequent versions - perhaps highlighted in a different color. That along with the comments field and your other suggestions would make it very easy to keep track of changes through the development cycle of a new set.
#5 - halo
Woz+Glen67's suggestions together.
+1
Its seems relatively simple to make those implementations. And its important for those who mess with setups a lot like me.
Imagine, mouse over a setup and you see a little info box.. nice.
yeah that would be great... atm i just use blue for race/grip, red for drift and black for everything else~ same with autocross layouts...

+1 from me too
Quote from evilpimp :+1 to any kind of setup management system that could be instored! :P

+1 to your +1!
+1
That would help alot.
+1
I also race NASCAR 2003 Season and the 2005 Simracing and those sims save your sets in the same track that you created them. For example, if you create a set for Daytona using a CUP car, it saves it to the file name you want and it appends ".cup" to the car file. It is also saved in the track folder where you created it.

The file name would look like: "/Daytona/myfile.cup.car". If you create a set for a truck then the file name would be : "/Daytona/myfile.cts.car". In that sense only the cars that can read the "cup" or "cts" sets will see them when you are on that track.

Maybe the devs could look into that.
Indeed. I loved that system so much. The only problem I see with that is in LFS, you can't really select another track's list currently at least to get a setup from a different track. I did that quite a bit in NR2k3. I'm pretty sure they could implement the option to do that, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

I really like the sounds of these ideas. I often have several different setups for each track depending on what I want it to do, and in LFS it gets quite cluttered and unorganized. It's pretty hard to find the setup I want sometimes.
Quote from TheChad :+1

That is a very simple and yet powerful suggestion!

Sim racing is dominated by geeks and engineers, not drivers. What is needed is a class with less emphasis on setup, for those that just want to race and not spend time doing what they cannot do. We are not all brainaics, some of us just want to race and have some fun, not deal with technical things for more time than we actually race. If we have to do that give us an engineer in our pits that we can complain to and he can help those of us who are setup challenged with a fix.

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN, NOT ACADEMIC ALWAYS.
Quote from Woz :There have been a number of ideas around setup management over the years involving folders, dates etc etc etc. I think we need something a little more tbh as even the folders idea is limiting and raises management issues.

It would be nice if setup files carried meta blocks that included the following data.

- Car type.
- Setup purpose (race, offroad, drag, other)
- Track linkage(all or 1+ tags e.g [AS1, BL1] for a setup that works on AS1 + BL1)
- Comment
- Date created
- Last modified

This would ease setup management and allow for a powerful and flexible means to filter setups in game.

The default for example when you join a track would be to only see setups for that track or tagged as All.

+1

A very useful suggestion.
Also obtained the best time (spilts) should be one stored in meta data for later sorting or highlight the best setup for selected configuration (Car@Track).
-
Small setup list improvement (Flame CZE) DELETED by Flame CZE

Setup management
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG