The online racing simulator
Graphics problems
(26 posts, started )
Graphics problems
i just replaced my harddrive and LFS is looking pretty crazy!
Anyone got an idea on what it maybe?

I think it maybe the video card but its only a few months old

PC specs:
CPU: E6550 2.33ghz 1333fsb
RAM: 2x1gb DDR2 800mhz
Harddrive: 320gb 7200rpm 16mb
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI
Video: 8600GT 256mb
Attached images
LFS 2008-11-10 23-02-02-06.jpg
LFS 2008-11-10 23-02-30-59.jpg
LFS 2008-11-10 23-02-34-95.jpg
LFS 2008-11-10 23-02-49-79.jpg
#2 - VoiD
Delete your "card_cfg.txt" and "cfg.txt". Restart lfs and repost...
edit: Do what VoiD says first!

- Have you installed current versions of DirectX and graphics card drivers since replacing your hard drive? If not, worth a try.
- You could try downloading LFS from a different source as last time and try that instead.
- If any of your PC's components are overclocked, try them at normal values.

But it could be faulty memory on the graphics card too
tried deleting the CFG's didnt help
tried to run 3dmark06 it went crazy and froze
after restart i got this windows error

Technical Information Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA ... N_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

Follow these steps to solve the problem with a video device driver
You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.
Solution

There are two options you can use to try to fix the problem. If the first option doesn't work, then try the second.
Option 1: Install the most current device driver for your video card
Use Windows Update to check for and install updates.
  1. Go online to the Windows Update website:

Windows Update
    Note
    If Microsoft Update is installed, you'll be taken to the Microsoft Update website.
  2. Click Custom to check for available updates.
  3. In the left pane, under Select by Type, click Hardware, Optional. Select the updates for a video device driver, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Updates.
Notes
  • If there are no updated drivers listed on Windows Update, we recommend you contact the manufacturer of the video card for additional support. Let them know that you received an error for a video device driver and ask if product updates are available.
  • If there are no updated drivers on Windows Update and you don't know the name of the video card manufacturer, we recommend you contact your computer manufacturer for additional information and support.
    How do I find my computer manufacturer (OEM)?
    Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32, and then click OK. Your computer OEM is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.
    Click to go online to see cont ... st computer manufacturers
Option 2: Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter
This procedure prevents the display device driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you might lose some display functionality and performance.
  1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
  2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
  3. Click the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combing check box.
  4. Click OK, and then click OK.
Attached images
untitled.JPG
untitled2.JPG
You said you've replaced your harddrive, so I guess it means you've done a fresh windows install on it. If it's so then it's most likely the graphics driver issue as you've already figured out. Follow the link posted by NotAnIllusion and if the problem is not solved, get the recent chipset drivers too.
Issue = Drivers.

D/L latest and install.
i tried the newest one on nvidia site

GeForce Release 178 WHQL
Version:178.24
Release Date:October 15, 2008
still have the same problems and if i restart it the Bios and POST screens have corruption.
I think its getting too hot, its still under warranty, less then 6 months old, so i put in a support ticket with XFX maybe they will fix or replace it.
Do you have a rear case fan, and does it blow hot air out (you'd be surprised..)? Does the gfx card's fan spin at all? If it does, change the position of your addon cards (PCI, PCI-E etc.) so that there's good airflow.

If the problems remain, I'd definitely try to get it RMA'd.
Do the errors appear in other 3D programs beside LFS? If so I'd say it's probably a dead graphic card, you should try using an old one laying around somewhere (most people do have that)
Quote from boosterfire :Do the errors appear in other 3D programs beside LFS? If so I'd say it's probably a dead graphic card, you should try using an old one laying around somewhere (most people do have that)

boostfire: You really should read the whole thread before posting, ABK already said that it's not just LFS suffering from some graphic glitches and he has already suggested getting the card RMAed.

OK, back to the topic. There is an easy way how to find out if your card is overheating. You said you see some graphics errors even on the POST screen (which is pretty bad in terms of solving the problem quick and "painlessly"). Do you see them as soon as you turn the computer on or does it have to run for a while to produce these glitches? If you see them immediately after powering it up, then your card is probably dead and needs to be replaced.
Quote from MadCatX :boostfire: You really should read the whole thread before posting, ABK already said that it's not just LFS suffering from some graphic glitches and he has already suggested getting the card RMAed.

OK, back to the topic. There is an easy way how to find out if your card is overheating. You said you see some graphics errors even on the POST screen (which is pretty bad in terms of solving the problem quick and "painlessly"). Do you see them as soon as you turn the computer on or does it have to run for a while to produce these glitches? If you see them immediately after powering it up, then your card is probably dead and needs to be replaced.

its got to run a min or so for it to show the glitches in the POST screen.
i trying the chipset driver again just to make sure.

edit: I think its working now
I have the same card as you and had no issues.

Make sure you delete all the old nvidia drivers too. Get a nvidia driver remover because the uninstall does not always work as it should

Good luck hope you get going again soon
Quote from AnyBodyKilla :its got to run a min or so for it to show the glitches in the POST screen.
i trying the chipset driver again just to make sure.

edit: I think its working now

If it takes just a minute or two for it to be glitching at POST, whether it appears to be working now or not, I'd recommend you try to RMA it anyway. The (OS specific) display drivers aren't even loaded at POST
That looks like a Shader/Memory problem to me. Is the card overclocked?

Mine crashes like that when the Shaders are overclocked too much.

'EDIT'

http://www.afterdawn.com/softw ... ls/driver_cleaner_pro.cfm

Download that.

Install it.

Then remove the following Nvidia things. not nforce.

Nvidia. Should be three things.
Run a crappy 3D game, graphics wise, like Quake 2 or something for a while. If you get your artefacts it's gotta be the cards memory.
Check out your temperatures. On my 8600GT, when i play Crysis or something. My temperature goes almost on 80C when playng long time. When card is hot, then graphics will mess up too. Download "SpeedFan" or "Everest" or something to check your temperatures.
its not overclocked. i have uninstalled chipset drivers, graphics driver, then ran driver cleaner pro and nasty file remover then reinstalled the chipset driver (15.23_nforce_winxp32_international_whql) and graphics driver (178.24_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql). Still having some trouble with something not installing. I dont even know what it is that isnt installing, windows cant find a driver for it.
still acting weird and showing crazy block effects on the desktop.

pic of device manager attached.

Tried playing Obivion with Rivatuner hardware monitering running, the graphics went funny and screen went black, was able to get back to desktop and see that video card temp was at 61C, i also got this message when i closed the game
Attached images
untitled3.JPG
untitled4.JPG
Hm.. that's really odd. Have no idea.
It's either your MB or graphics card which is dead. I'd suspect the graphics card as first, if you can, borrow another one to try it out. Don't bother about the unknown device, probably some ACPI driver or something similar used i.e. for dynamic overclocking, it shouldn't make your system go dizzy at all.
dont have a card i can borrow from anyone but XFX told me this,

[BRIAN 11/17/2008 8:27:00 PM] Hi James, thanks for the message and it sounds like the card is faulty. For proceeding with RMA service on this card, please verify your card`s serial number has been registered through our website. Indicate if you are using any features (if supported by your card) such as SLI. Please confirm that there have been no modifications to the card’s physical appearance or any unauthorized firmware/BIOS flashing. Also confirm that we have your full name, best shipping address for receiving a delivery with signature required (no PO Boxes allowed for our FedEx shipments) and telephone number posted in your Customer Profile online. Thanks, Brian.
Then do it....?
Nice ,REilstall your LFS
Got sp2 on it?
That did the deal with me.
Update your OPENGL driver

Graphics problems
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG