The online racing simulator
The Mountaing Racing League - prototype and suggestions ?
Hi every one !

I don't think this has been posted before. Anyway, please let me introduce you to what have come to my mind here.
After thinking about some statements that LFS gets boring because of the same cars in each class, around the same tracks all the time, and with the high desire for more challenging tracks, I came up with the idea of organizing a "new" way of racing following the following concepts :
- close racing
- high challenge
- intensity.

So now I will present you the league I would like to see in LFS.
Because a picture equals 1000 words, a movie equals much more, that's why I invite you to watch the trailer I made for it, which you can find on this link (14.56 mo) :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9HUZGMUJ

Now, before I throw to much time on it and risk that people won't be interested in the project, I would like to have your comments (any kind, please be honest and sincere ).
I, because I unfortunately can't do it on my own, am looking for some fellow members that will help me administrate it : a server to run the league on, some people to help me make/design the layouts.

The Mountain Racing League

General purposes and tracks

This league is meant to offer a new experience for racing in Live For Speed. The main idea is to allow people to face each other on narrow, twisty and dangerous tracks, to simulate the thrill of mountain racing. The layouts will follow the general path of the track and include added corners/chicanes and modifications of the original corners. The tracks will be designed to be around 7 meters in width (between 6.5 and 7.5 meters) to simulate a true mountain/countryside road. They are meant to be raced in both ways (uphill and downhill), but not at the same time, since the roads are only wide enough for one 7 meter path (you can think as uphill and downhill as standard and reverse configuration). They will be designated as downhill or uphill regarding the elevation changes in the most important corners, not the straights. Some layouts won't have any predominant trend, and they will be considered as cliff roads.

The tracks are made using barriers (long for the straights and smooth corners and small ones for more tricky corners where : red = outside limit and white = inside limit) on one side of the road and a runoff area on the other. Be aware the marshall symbolizing spectators are placed at the other parts of the track where cutting is beneficial, in order to prevent this kind of behavior.

Cars

The close racing experience will be provided by the main rules of the league. There will be 2 main classes (with 2 subclass in the smallest class). The basic main rule is that every road car is allowed in the races, from UF1 to the FZ5, and every car has to be equipped with "Normal" tires at front and at rear. This is meant to enhance diversity of contestants, diversity of skills, and to exacerbate each car capacities (while the FZ5 will be extremely good in straights, it's cornering abilities will be extremely lower than the average, which will be the opposite of the LX4, for instance).

Classes

Below are some informations about the different classes :
- Class 1 : Sunday Driver (cars allowed : all road cars / tires : mandatory normals / setup : Road_Going from Bob Smith)
-
Subclass 1 : Wanabee racer (cars : UF1-XFG-XRG / specificity of the setup : Open differentials).
-
Subclass 2 : Speed addict (cars : LX4 - TBO's - LRF's).

This class is more for fun and event warm up as seeing cars with bad handling and a lot of bodyroll is enjoyable to watch.

- Class 2 : Licensed Mountain Racer (cars allowed : all road cars -UF1-XFG-XRG-LX4-TBO's-LRF's / tires : mandatory normals / setup : free)

This class will be the main class of the league, and is meant to give a chance for every car to compete against lower powered or higher powered with more equal chances. Of course, some cars will be better on some tracks than on others, but I think the general balance can be acheived using this system.

Race system

Due to the nature of the track, each race event will be divided in runs that will oppose no more than 2 racers at each time. I am thinking of two way to make the races work : either a race where two of the people start on the same line, and the first one to pass the finish line wins. Or, one racer starts ahead of another one for one run, and for the next one, it will be the opposite way around. The gap between the two drivers at the end of each race will be measured, and the leader with the longest gap wins the run. What I am thinking at the moment, is to apply the second solution for races in the Class 1, because it is less dangerous and more appropriate concerning the handling of the cars ; while the first one will be for Class 2 because a much more intense race is expected.

The rank in each event will be a pyramidal system (like in soccer after the qualifications) without any qualification. Each driver will have a first run against a randomly sorted other racer. The winners moves to the upper stage while the looser is eliminated. You gain point by advancing to the next stage. The points add themselbes to each other
e.g. : 1st stage = 0 point / 2nd stage = 1 point / 3rd stage = 2 points / 4th stage (winner of the event) = 4 points.

So, let's say there are 8 registered drivers in the race There will be 4 stage (1st = quarter finals / 2nd = half final / 3rd = final / 4th = winner).
4th stage (winner) : 1 driver with 7 points.
3rd stage (finals) : 1 driver with 3 points
2nd stage (half finals) : 2 drivers with 1 points
1st stage (quarter finals) : 4 drivers with 0 points.

I have not yet set the points system, and it will be subject to improvements when I will have beta tested the league.

Point system and events

For each event, there will be a training session of 1 hour before the official start of the event, no qualifications. The layouts will be made available some days before the event, for further practice.

When registering for the league, each driver will have to choose whether he wants to compete in the uphill section, the downhill section, or both (please note that cliff roads will be raced on in the two sections regardless if you are registered in uphill or downhill).

The point system will work like this. There will be separate points for uphill and downhill, as uphill is more favorable for high powered car, while downhill offers a more balanced experience.

Total points in the league : Total points of Class 2 races + [(percentage of Class 1 racers if Class 2 racers is 100)/2]% * Total points of Class 1 races + Points of bonus events.

- Total points of Class 2 races.
The rank in each event will be a pyramidal system (like in soccer after the qualifications) without any qualification. Each driver will have a first run against a randomly sorted other racer. The winners moves to the upper stage while the looser is eliminated. You gain point by advancing to the next stage.The points add themselbes to each other
e.g. : 1st stage = 0 point / 2nd stage = 1 point / 3rd stage = 2 points / 4th stage (winner of the event) = 4 points.

So, let's say there are 8 registered drivers in the race There will be 4 stage (1st = quarter finals / 2nd = half final / 3rd = final / 4th = winner).
4th stage (winner) : 1 driver with 7 points.
3rd stage (finals) : 1 driver with 3 points
2nd stage (half finals) : 2 drivers with 1 points
1st stage (quarter finals) : 4 drivers with 0 points.

I have not yet set the points system, and it will be subject to improvements when I will have beta tested the league.

After each event, the points earned at the event will add to the other points the drivers will have for the league.

- Total points of Class 1 races

This will work the same as above, but only a percentage below 100% will count in the league. I expect less people to join those races than the Class 2 races, that is why only a percetage of the points here will be added to the total league points. For instance, if there is 16 drivers in the Class 2, and only 8 are registered for a Class 1 race, the the multiplicator for class 1 points will be of 25% (8/16*100/2). If the total points after multiplication are decimals, it will score to the above half number (if the score is 4.3, then the points will be rounded to 4.5).

Those are bonus points, and while it is mandatory to be registered in the Class 2 to run the league, Class 1 is entirely optional.

- Total points of misc. events

Other events might take place a day before the race, and these are only bonuses. (I suggest you sign in, so that at least it will help you familiarize yourself with the track).
The nature of those events need to be thought of, but there will be likely to be "Uphill timed attack with the FOX" and "Show drift runs".
- Uphill timed attack with the FOX : The name says it all : the drivers will be classed by time.
- Show drift runs : 3 judged runs : Downhill, Uphill, and the drivers chooss whether Uphill or Downhill for the last run. Judges will determine the best scores.

Be aware that in those events, as opposed to Class 2 and Class 1 races, you always earn points for participating, even if you finish last. This is to keep a fun mood and allow racers to let the steam of before the official races.

Misc rules

- Crashing someone into the barriers on purpose is not tolerated and will result in you losing the run. (Forfeit)
- Having at least one red damaged suspension or rolling will result in losing the run. (Forfeit)
- Getting a penalty by the on-tracks marshalls is considered as if you killed a spectator and will result you in losing the race (Forfeit).
- You can not start the race, untill we have verified that your setups matches your class requirements.
- Pitting out an interupting a race will make you automatically lose the event.
- Some more to come.

______

Here is, for now what I think about. Please comment

If this is interesting enough, I might consider launching it for real. What I would need is people to help me with a server and some spare time to work on the layouts, help me think about the point system and other rules.
I would also like some volunteers to beta-test the regulations with a beta-event, seeing if this league idea is possible.

The layout you see in the video is an homemade layout for KY3. It took me around 3 hours of work to find the right spot where to do it, put all the objects with precise distance from the border of the track, changing some corners, and smoothening the all process. There will, of course, be more layouts for the purposes of the league

Thank you for reading

please tell me how on earth are you planning to simulate the "uphill" and "downhill" parts? plus, dont you think using barriers is little stupid? if u touch it, it sends you flying.
Quote from DevilDare :please tell me how on earth are you planning to simulate the "uphill" and "downhill" parts? plus, dont you think using barriers is little stupid? if u touch it, it sends you flying.

Tracks have elevation in case you didn't know

As I told, the most important corners will determine the type. In my layout (which only takes places on a part of KY3), the hairpin, the long-arsed U-turn and other S's are downhill if you go one way, uphill in another. These are, I find, the most challenging corners when you run on this layout. And the lines and apex, braking points, effect you get on the car (understeer or oversteer), are different, which makes them either uphill or downhill.

For instance, you'll be likely to understeer in a uphill corner (less weight on the front), while you'll be likely to oversteer in a downhill corner (less weight on the rear), with the same inputs.

About the barriers, I did not have any other option. If you crash hard enough in a guardrail in a real mountain road, you'll find not flying over the track but down the cliff, the end is the same : end of the race and DNF in the better cases. If you hit the rocks that are on the other side (provided there are any), then you'll ruin your car, the result is, once again, the same : end of the race and DNF.
Quote from Zen321 :Tracks have elevation in case you didn't know

As I told, the most important corners will determine the type. In my layout (which only takes places on a part of KY3), the hairpin, the long-arsed U-turn and other S's are downhill if you go one way, uphill in another. These are, I find, the most challenging corners when you run on this layout. And the lines and apex, braking points, effect you get on the car (understeer or oversteer), are different, which makes them either uphill or downhill.

For instance, you'll be likely to understeer in a uphill corner (less weight on the front), while you'll be likely to oversteer in a downhill corner (less weight on the rear), with the same inputs.

well ofcourse i did, but its not going to feel right. its not actually an "uphill", you cant even actally feel you are going up in some cases.

meh whatever, good luck
Quote from DevilDare :please tell me how on earth are you planning to simulate the "uphill" and "downhill" parts? plus, dont you think using barriers is little stupid? if u touch it, it sends you flying.

A. Like he said some tracks have sections that are uphill and downhill or have a mountain kind of feeling with the elevation changes.

B. The barriers can simulate you falling off the cliff :P You touch, your down. Exept in this case, you touch, your in the sky.

I like the idea, seems very interusting. Looks like lots of fun heh.
Quote from DevilDare :plus, dont you think using barriers is little stupid? if u touch it, it sends you flying.

Better learn to drive then, don't you think?

Sounds interesting. I especially like the Road Going setups idea. But how are you going to monitor the setups? Because if there are points to be gained people will cheat. And are we allowed to change anything on the Bob Smith sets? Tyre pressures?

If the dates and times work I'll be there driving a Road Going XRG.

PS. We really do need a mountain track in LFS.
Quote from March Hare :Better learn to drive then, don't you think?

Sounds interesting. I especially like the Road Going setups idea. But how are you going to monitor the setups? Because if there are points to be gained people will cheat. And are we allowed to change anything on the Bob Smith sets? Tyre pressures?

Thanks for the comment.

I wonder how I can monitor the setups, as this is the biggest issue. CTRA can check the intake restriction, so maybe a similar InSim app can check the values of the other stuff.
Yeah i think the tire press should be adjustable for the road Going, as this value might be the only one you can easily change IRL. Same could apply for the passengers (2 passengers standard for the Road Going maybe suppress them for 1).
On the setup monitoring idea: you ask a random selection of drivers to send you their setup, and check to see if they are running the correct set. In addition to this, after they have sent you the setup they would not be allowed to pit, spectate or make a pitstop.
Great Idea, sounds like fun i would do it, but how would you know if someone has red damage in thier F11 menu?

Got some clever insim there mate!
Quote from March Hare :Better learn to drive then, don't you think?

ok if this league comes alive i can freaking bet you that atleast one guy will go flying every 2 races or so.... its racing, your just bound to make that contact..... unless you wanna drive behind the guy ur racing and not even bother over taking him, then yeah, maybe.... but that would stupid......
Quote from DevilDare :ok if this league comes alive i can freaking bet you that atleast one guy will go flying every 2 races or so.... its racing, your just bound to make that contact..... unless you wanna drive behind the guy ur racing and not even bother over taking him, then yeah, maybe.... but that would stupid......

obviously. But that's the point, eh? Its not meant to be safe. And if you want to pass, you obviously have to take a risk, which in this case would be quite a substantial risk.
Quote from DevilDare :ok if this league comes alive i can freaking bet you that atleast one guy will go flying every 2 races or so.... its racing, your just bound to make that contact..... unless you wanna drive behind the guy ur racing and not even bother over taking him, then yeah, maybe.... but that would stupid......

Then that would be down to the individual driver to keep his car competitive but still under control. Sometimes you dont need to do anything to overtake, people make mistakes and allow for overtaking oppertunities.

We aint going to get everything we've requested over time in lfs, development is still going to go the way the developers want it to go, and yes, I know this is not a debate regarding that, however, the use of barriers seems to be seen by some as a big no no.. because of the physics of the cars flying and bouncing off them.

There are only so many steps one can take to ensure that doesnt happen, at some stage, it begins to come down to the driver and the driver alone.

So to the opening poster.. best of luck it sounds interesting to me. To everyone else.. its time to start embracing the barriers and those willing to put time into something different, to make up for the same old content (which really isnt all that bad or boring).
Sounds great! I can't seem to download the video, though.

I'm afraid the barriers do put me off a bit. I know the consequences are realistic (completely broken car,) but it just doesn't feel right. You may have done this already (I can't watch the video, as I have mentioned - could somebody post some screenshots?) but something that would greatly improve it imo would be to put cones along the track 7 metres apart, and barriers 8m (or mabye 7.5m) apart.

I may not attend all the races, but if the times work out for me, I will try to come along to as many as possible.
The idea ofcourse is good, and does indeed sound fun. Ofcourse since with the options lfs gives us, everyone needs a bit imagination to make this fun ... But if this league would to start, I'd surely give it a try
-
(Zen321) DELETED by Zen321
Quote from Timdpr :Sounds great! I can't seem to download the video, though.

I'm afraid the barriers do put me off a bit. I know the consequences are realistic (completely broken car,) but it just doesn't feel right. You may have done this already (I can't watch the video, as I have mentioned - could somebody post some screenshots?) but something that would greatly improve it imo would be to put cones along the track 7 metres apart, and barriers 8m (or mabye 7.5m) apart.

I may not attend all the races, but if the times work out for me, I will try to come along to as many as possible.

I have thought of it for long, and I did not at first want to use the barriers (poles or bales), but then i realised something : people would not mind hitting them, and could increase the track width (virtually) by going through them. This would reduce the thrill a bit. 7 meters was a compromis, and as you can see for the screen shots below (only the road where the FZ5 is is the 7meters path where you drive on), it is easy for two cars to go side by side. Moreover, there aren't barriers all the way long, and after testing it, I realized that the only way for you to "fly" was hitting them with your front.

In the video, if you manage to download it (you have to enter a 3 letter code in a small box at the top right of the center frame), you'll see at the end of it a RB4 which crashes on the barriers. I hit the first barrier with the back of the car, which led to oversteer, and going with the front of my car to another barrier, which made me roll (not flying crazy), very realistically.
I was at around 120-130 km/h when I hit those barriers, which is pretty fast for a corner in this layout.

So basically, on this specific layout the only way for you to fly is to have a frontal collision at a great speed with one of the barriers of this layout. And this can happen only in entries, in some corners (because as you can see, both side of the road are not covered with barriers) where barriers are at the outside. Midcorner and at exits, you aren't generally facing the barriers enough to make you fly. It might though damage a bit your suspension if you hit it hard enough with your side.

As you can see on the following screenshots, since the FZ5 is the largest car we have here, this layout allows easily goind neck and neck on the straights, and without much problem for the corners. May I add that the rumble pads are not included in the 7meters, and the marshalls I have put on the side only prevent using the grass for cutting, and not going on the rumble pads.

Enjoy the screen shots
Attached images
lfs_00000008.jpg
lfs_00000009.jpg
lfs_00000010.jpg
lfs_00000011.jpg
lfs_00000012.jpg
Sounds interesting.
The issue with barriers will be more noticeable online of course, so maybe you should host your layout online for testing?
Lag is likely to create mayhem... because your position packets are not up to date, it is very easy to be a few cemtimeters out of position - enough to bring a tyre into a barrier, and then we wish you a nice flight
Quote from Mille Sabords :Sounds interesting.
The issue with barriers will be more noticeable online of course, so maybe you should host your layout online for testing?
Lag is likely to create mayhem... because your position packets are not up to date, it is very easy to be a few cemtimeters out of position - enough to bring a tyre into a barrier, and then we wish you a nice flight

Thanks for the support !

Yeah, the only problem is that I have a really crappy connection where I am now, so I am looking for now who could help me host the layout for a couple hours (on a private server with only people that have been chosent among the ones willing to do it, in order to have a quality of testers).

Okay here are some more news.

After some private testing, I think the layout I have now is really okay and will bring some funs My tests made me come up with the idea of having the rules a bit modified :
- for the misc uphill events, the hill climb won't be with the FOX, but with the FO8. Why ? Because it is simply amazingly fun and stressful You don't have time to react, so you need to think a few corners in advance. I like the idea of this.

Please, can anyone who volunteer to host the server and the layout send me a PM, so that we can schedule a time. This would be greatly appreciated. I would also like some people to tell me if they are interested in testing the rules and the layout I have for now, to see if I need to modify them/it any further
Basically what will happen will be a couple of runs with the most combos (e.g. FZ5 vs XRG / LX4 vs XRT) on this layout, so that the results and the statistics will allow me to determine the final rules of the battles.

Thank you very much, your help is appreciated.
Pré-scriptum : Sorry for the DP, but I couldn't add attachments with the edit function :S

So here are 3 replays. The 1st one is the XRG replay I used to make the video. Now you can see and judge the whole track. The other two ones are hillclimbs with the FOX and the FO8, made with my poor formula skills and my touchpad (I miss my G25 ). Please, do not hesitate pressing shift-u and fly around the track to see it in its integrity

There is a 11 seconds different in the time, which is very important, and made me think : shouldn't we add as well both of the FOX and the FO8 in the misc events (for now, maybe if the league works, we could do a hill climb league on the same layouts ), and the driver should choose between them ? (FO8 gives more points, but more dangerous, while FXO gives less point but it is easier to acheive good times with it ?) or should we only add the FOX or the FO8 ?

Thanks for your help
Attached files
touge demo XRG KY.spr - 82.5 KB - 215 views
FO8 hillclimb.spr - 63.3 KB - 211 views
hillclimb FOX.spr - 68.4 KB - 204 views

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG