The online racing simulator
Voice Over IP
(25 posts, started )
Voice Over IP
What about Voice over IP
for demo and S1 and S2...?(don't know if it's in S1 and/or S2.
But it would be cool to be yelling at eachother like:
DUDE!! You ****ed up my ride and things like that, it w0uld be nice
what do you guys think of it?
When I'm racing with my friend we're always talking on Skype the same time. But It's only the solution for group of friends you know already. However I think VOIP on the same server with LFS would be more laggy so it's not the good idea. I was playing Soldier of Fortune 2 MP and a lot servers from my country had VOIP channels on other servers. When I was logging in the ip of the Talkserver was on the screen. Same could be done in LFS.
you know Battlefield2...?
there it won't lag, so why would it here
BF got 32 players or 64
LFS 11...
#4 - Jakg
Quote from himself :When I'm racing with my friend we're always talking on Skype the same time. But It's only the solution for group of friends you know already. However I think VOIP on the same server with LFS would be more laggy so it's not the good idea. I was playing Soldier of Fortune 2 MP and a lot servers from my country had VOIP channels on other servers. When I was logging in the ip of the Talkserver was on the screen. Same could be done in LFS.

some servers use teamspeak (SH1 ones do) while the FM servers have a ventrilo server running
#5 - Vain
I like the fact that I can't talk to other drivers. Adds to the athmosphere, I think.
Though I find VoIP good in endu-races, where you have to communicate with other drivers in your team.

Vain
I don't see much need for this system unless it worked well. For example a team doesn't want to be telling other teams what there plans are Also if this was implemented I'd love to have the engine sounds and some distorted effects like in real life when listening to a drivers radio. That would really add to the atmosphere in events where drivers (i.e endurance races) are working together

Keiran
#7 - bbman
Personally, I don't want to hear any kid yelling for a setup or blaming another one for a crash... It's already annoying enough to read what they type... illepall
It would be good for endurance leagues, within LFS different channels for each team. This way they can discuss whats going on, like a radio, without the other team listening. But their MUST be a mute button lol!
I don't think it would be a good idea have little kids talking no stop and what not if u wanna talk 2 ur m8's us Teamspeak Vent or Skype
#10 - Gunn
Ventrillo has proven to be the most lag-free so far from what I have seen. Programs like Skype also use some memory, and VOIP in general likes to suck bandwidth.

Perhaps the fact that Ventrillo uses a seperate server helps to reduce the overhead?

Regardless of which option you like best, lag is definitely an issue with VOIP. Some games with built-in voice com features use a low quality system to reduce the load. I would expect something like Skype to be the worst solution for many people. Some people lag out of Skype even when they aren't gaming. Shoving more data down the line increases the risk of lag. It is worth trying several VOIP options to see which causes the least trouble for you and your friends when you race online.

Intra-team communications is certainly an interesting area to explore in online racing. Some future system which allows an event official to communicate with any one car (or all at once) could also be a great way to manage organised racing online.

I think VOIP has some real positive applications in sim racing, along with some annoyances if on a public server, I'm sure.
I've said this in another thread, and i'll say it again. The best solution for online gaming is the last free, clean version of Roger Wilco.
You got full controll over it, it doesn't take much bandwidth (made for 56k dial up connections) and it's small (only 355Kb). Ok, so the sound quality isn't the best, but hey... If you really want to simulate those "Pit to Car" conversations, this is the one to do it with

--- Edit ---
Roger Wilco is Available on SCORE, in the files/usefull section.
I don't really know if it's good for demo, but for S1 and S2 it would be good, so if there comes a VOIP, i maybe become S2 licensed
In my chats with Android and bbman in Vienna, we came up with a good solution (that Scawen's probably already thought of) about VOIP in LFS.

By default you can hear everyone in the server. But you have the option to 'PM' someone, mute individuals, and also select a group to hear you (so only your team for example).

Maybe lag is an issue at the moment, but as internet technologies gradually increase in speed (and hopefully lower latencies) this will be less of a problem. Plus, you can always turn it off altogether...
Quote from tristancliffe :In my chats with Android and bbman in Vienna, we came up with a good solution (that Scawen's probably already thought of) about VOIP in LFS.

By default you can hear everyone in the server. But you have the option to 'PM' someone, mute individuals, and also select a group to hear you (so only your team for example).

Maybe lag is an issue at the moment, but as internet technologies gradually increase in speed (and hopefully lower latencies) this will be less of a problem. Plus, you can always turn it off altogether...

so... you mean there is a change it will come in an official add-on or in LFS 3?

That would be GREAT!
Quote from BlakjeKaas :so... you mean there is a change it will come in an official add-on or in LFS 3?

That would be GREAT!

no he's just speculating....

imo its not needed. u can use like many other people said TS or Ventrillo
Quote from nikimere :no he's just speculating....

imo its not needed. u can use like many other people said TS or Ventrillo

yeah ok

but then you have to say to all people they have to go to a server
which they wont do... etc.
you can make VOIP servers and NON-VOIP servers (maybe) if possible,
I would prefer that VOIP NOT be put in LFS. Firstly, why spend time developing something that we can already do with external programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak? Secondly, in a real race the only people you can hear are your pit crew. So talking from car to car would not be realistic. And finally, there are some people who are annoying enough on the keyboard. I really don't want to have to put up with the whining that would be common if VOIP were in place.

I don't want LFS to turn into Counter-Strike.
well, you then could turn off the sounds of some players, and Imo it would be very handy, cause I race with logitech MOMO and if i have to type...

so i would rather take a mic. and say what i want to say
that's my opinion!
Quote from Cue-Ball :I would prefer that VOIP NOT be put in LFS. Firstly, why spend time developing something that we can already do with external programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak? Secondly, in a real race the only people you can hear are your pit crew. So talking from car to car would not be realistic. And finally, there are some people who are annoying enough on the keyboard. I really don't want to have to put up with the whining that would be common if VOIP were in place.

I don't want LFS to turn into Counter-Strike.

If it is so unrealistic, let's take out typing too, because you can't type in a race car.

What's so bad about VOIP. I think it would be great! But only if it were like Counter Strike. Where you can mute people. Or like ROOST, where you can choose to talk to everyone, or your team, or certain people.

And if I get flamed for using the search button,
I think it's better to use skype or TS and simulate team radio...
Quote from Falcon140 :If it is so unrealistic, let's take out typing too, because you can't type in a race car.

One of the many reasons that quite a few of us race with messages muted.

Quote :What's so bad about VOIP. I think it would be great! But only if it were like Counter Strike. Where you can mute people. Or like ROOST, where you can choose to talk to everyone, or your team, or certain people.

Nothing is wrong with VOIP. The simple fact is that there are already tons of programs out there that do this. There's no upside to Scawen spending his time making it a part of LFS when not everyone wants it, and the people who do already have alternatives that work fine.
I don't think that VO-IP would be good in LFS as when people are racing and someone has a acident its bad enough reading the abuse in text, atually hearing it will make it 10X as worse. I also think that the language barrier could be a problem if it was to be apart of LFS. I tend to be put off racing online because of the abuse. Teamspeak is my VO-IP choise but a lot of ventrilo users complain that teamspeak uses too much bandwidth hence their choise of ventrilo.

Simulated team radio e.g for requesting a pit or if your tyres become too hot ot become too warn. E.g Automated e.g

a text to spech thing,

"you have 5 laps of fuel left"
"your tyres are getting too hot take it easy!"
Quote from martyn1989 :Simulated team radio e.g for requesting a pit or if your tyres become too hot ot become too warn. E.g Automated e.g

a text to spech thing,

"you have 5 laps of fuel left"
"your tyres are getting too hot take it easy!"

That would be a very good idea, as would a pit board
Quote from duke_toaster :That would be a very good idea, as would a pit board

Both of these are already in the game. Or, at least, they are if you download them from the unofficial addons section.

LFS Companion tells you if you're going slow, close to running out of fuel, what lap you're on, etc. LFSpitboard displays a pit board with your current place, gap ahead and behind, etc. Companion hasn't been updated for Patch X, but LFSpitboard works fine in X.
[QUOTE=Cue-Ball;460299]Both of these are already in the game. Or, at least, they are if you download them from the unofficial addons section.

Yes thats ok, but i am on about of an official part of LFS.
As i found out a few times addons can cause problems with a LFS install.
Hence the reason i don't use many oddons.

Just what i think lol.

Voice Over IP
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG