The online racing simulator
#1 - 6mik
Please, gear problem, really need help
HI everybody, i got the demo of lfs and i m going to buy the S2 soon but i still have a problem with gear and that why i wanted to know if it is fixed in the S2...

So i have two steering wheel, a microsoft one, and a logitech driving force one...but without clutch . that s why i play on sequential gear mode with auto clutch.

The problem is that with the formula bmw (of the demo) , i can t go into the next gear without releasing the throttle...
How can i fix that please ?

When i drive a car and i go into the next gear , the throttle isn t releasing automatically as in the releality (when you drive a real car in sequential mode, you can keep you foot on the throttle when you go into the next gear....)

Thanks for your help
In reality the driver MUST lift off the throttle. It is not an F1 semi-automatic gear change, but a mechanical sequential gearbox.

LFS is working properly.
#3 - 6mik
ah...that because if you drive a bmw (or any other cars) for instance in sequential mode, you don t need to release the throttle...

anyhow thx for the quick answer
You always have to lift, no matter what type of gearchange you use in real life (paddles, sequential stick, h-shifter etc).
#5 - amp88
Quote from tristancliffe :You always have to lift, no matter what type of gearchange you use in real life (paddles, sequential stick, h-shifter etc).

There may always have to be an interruption in power but that doesn't always have to come from the driver's foot lifting off the pedal. F1, V8 Supercars, WRC and no doubt countless other formulae don't require the driver's foot to lift to change up.

In the FBMW you can change up from 1st to 2nd (and occasionally 2nd to 3rd, depending on the gearing) without lifting. When the car bounces off the limiter it releases load from the gearbox allowing the change.
I was referring to the FBMW. You can use the limiter, but it's not a good habit to get into!
FBM is the one of the cars what has this lift off pedal thing, some cars don't, such as FOX, BF1 and so on in S2.
Quote from tristancliffe :You always have to lift, no matter what type of gearchange you use in real life (paddles, sequential stick, h-shifter etc).

This is incorrect, Flatshifting, in a manual H pattern, is shifting without lifting the gas pedal......something you commonly get in street racers in their little honda's and stuff... So this statement isn't 100% accurate
Some people can't read...

Quote from tristancliffe :I was referring to the FBMW. You can use the limiter, but it's not a good habit to get into!

Regardless of what you configure your G25 (or equivalent) to shift with, you will have to lift in the FBM to change gear. It's a very simple concept.

Would you like to have another go?

Oh, and flatshifting is a stupid technique.
#10 - Woz
Quote from MemphisRaines :This is incorrect, Flatshifting, in a manual H pattern, is shifting without lifting the gas pedal......something you commonly get in street racers in their little honda's and stuff... So this statement isn't 100% accurate

sigh.

You do realise I take it that to flatshift you HAVE to use the clutch dont you?

No you do not follow the standard

1) lift gas and clutch in
2) change gear
3) release clutch and get on gas

Instead you do the following with your gas planted

1) Yank out of gear
2) Start to force into gear.
3) Dip the clutch just enough until you can force into gear.
4) release clutch

So you are actually removing load off the gears to allow the change.

One way or another you have to remove load off the gearbox to change. Race cars use electronics to do it and the rest of us use a clutch.

BTW: Flat shifting does not really gain you ANYTHING in a race, it is only used in drag racing where you can accept a fooked gearbox after 1 run.
Quote from Woz :sigh.

You do realise I take it that to flatshift you HAVE to use the clutch dont you?

False. V8 Supercars is a prime example of this...

Greg Murphy upshifting and dow ... ch at all in V8 Supercars. The cars have a throttle cut that automatically removes load from drivetrain so the driver doesn't need to use the clutch. Drivers can opt to use the clutch when moving across the gate (2nd to 3rd, 4th to 5th), incase they wrongslot for the lower gear (accidentally go from 2nd to 1st, for example). If they use the clutch they can identify the fact that they've wrongslotted and keep the clutch in, moving to the correct gear. If they don't use the clutch they end up engaging the wrong gear and forcing a peak of revs, buzzing the engine and possibly causing damage.

Quote from Woz :BTW: Flat shifting does not really gain you ANYTHING in a race, it is only used in drag racing where you can accept a fooked gearbox after 1 run.

I disagree. The gain may be very small (hundredths of seconds) but you certainly save time by flatshifting rather than using the clutch for every shift. Over the course of a lap (nevermind a race), those hundredths start building up into tenths.
#12 - Woz
Quote from amp88 :False. V8 Supercars is a prime example of this...

Greg Murphy upshifting and dow ... ch at all in V8 Supercars. The cars have a throttle cut that automatically removes load from drivetrain so the driver doesn't need to use the clutch. Drivers can opt to use the clutch when moving across the gate (2nd to 3rd, 4th to 5th), incase they wrongslot for the lower gear (accidentally go from 2nd to 1st, for example). If they use the clutch they can identify the fact that they've wrongslotted and keep the clutch in, moving to the correct gear. If they don't use the clutch they end up engaging the wrong gear and forcing a peak of revs, buzzing the engine and possibly causing damage.

I disagree. The gain may be very small (hundredths of seconds) but you certainly save time by flatshifting rather than using the clutch for every shift. Over the course of a lap (nevermind a race), those hundredths start building up into tenths.

And if you read ALL THE WAY through my post you will see I say that race cars (Like the V8s) use electronic cut so that clutch dip is not required which I say!

Whatever happens, does not matter how it is done, you HAVE to cut load to the gears to "flat shift".

And where I said the gains from flat shift are not worth it I am also talking about the "manual clutch dip" technique where the damage it causes to your gearbox are NOT worth it.

If you have a car with fancy electronics it is worth it but otherwise ONLY drag racers would consider it due to damage it inflicts on your drivetrain.
Are people only capable of reading the first line of posts these days?
#14 - Woz
Quote from Woz :And if you read ALL THE WAY through my post you will see I say that race cars (Like the V8s) use electronic cut so that clutch dip is not required which I say!

Whatever happens, does not matter how it is done, you HAVE to cut load to the gears to "flat shift".

And where I said the gains from flat shift are not worth it I am also talking about the "manual clutch dip" technique where the damage it causes to your gearbox are NOT worth it.

If you have a car with fancy electronics it is worth it but otherwise ONLY drag racers would consider it due to damage it inflicts on your drivetrain.

The only reason I actually picked up on your point initially was because you sighed at someone else. While you were being all high and mighty knowing everything in the world I spotted your post was wrong and wanted you to feel suitably embarrassed about it. The first line of your post (after the patronising sigh) states "You do realise I take it that to flatshift you HAVE to use the clutch dont you?". This is blatantly false, it doesn't matter if you half qualify what you should have said later talking about race cars using technology. Even taking that into consideration (race cars using technology) it seems from the first line of your post that the race cars would use technology to use the clutch. This is clearly not the case in at least one application (V8 Supercars, as I mentioned). My point was valid, your post was wrong.
#17 - Woz
Quote from amp88 :The only reason I actually picked up on your point initially was because you sighed at someone else. While you were being all high and mighty knowing everything in the world I spotted your post was wrong and wanted you to feel suitably embarrassed about it. The first line of your post (after the patronising sigh) states "You do realise I take it that to flatshift you HAVE to use the clutch dont you?". This is blatantly false, it doesn't matter if you half qualify what you should have said later talking about race cars using technology. Even taking that into consideration (race cars using technology) it seems from the first line of your post that the race cars would use technology to use the clutch. This is clearly not the case in at least one application (V8 Supercars, as I mentioned). My point was valid, your post was wrong.

sigh.... he was talking about H pattern boxes so I was correct in that you HAVE to use the clutch!

We ALL know and agree that with fancy electronics you can do all sorts of stuff, that is NOT in dispute!

Again you have not read everything and wanted to shout down. As you dont read everything that relates to what is going on there is no point in comple...

#18 - iZE
I have one problem with lifting off. The damnable engine brake. If im driving against the AI and lift off when changing gear on a long straight, the AI will catch up to me by the end of the straight even though I exited the last turn well before the AI.

I find it messy to put a clutch button on the wheel (and I dont have a G25). Do you guys have any advice how I should shift without engine braking?
Sounds like you're lifting off too much iZE - you only need to lift off a little bit, as long as you're not hitting the limiter (or there abouts)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG