The online racing simulator
Speach when in Multiplayer
(21 posts, started )
#1 - popsy
i play other onlne games apart from LFS, my main one is Day Of Defeat. i think it would be ace if we could have the option of voice commande when online. i think it would be good, how about all of you.?
I disagree. If years of online gaming have taught me one thing, it's that people on the in game of voicechat just want to annoy others 90 percent of the time. 8 percent just do chitchat and only 2 percent actually add to the gaming experience.
(all figures are made up :P)

Also, most teams sport a Teamspeak server you can join while racing to chat along.

So IMHO not worth the effort to implement it.

On a sidenote, if I remember correctly, that topic ha been discussed before so search more thoroughly next time you suggest something. Keep in mind to broaden your search by using similar and related words like "voice", "voicechat", "VoIP", "microphone" etc. Then you would have seen threads like:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 6&highlight=voicechat
#3 - bbman
Quote from popsy :i play other onlne games apart from LFS, my main one is Day Of Defeat. i think it would be ace if we could have the option of voice commande when online. i think it would be good, how about all of you.?

One VERY VERY big difference: A big aspect of DoD is teamplay, where you need the ability to organise the team quickly to be competitive...

Now, where are teams in racing? Who do you have to organise yourself with?

Voicechatting before and after the race is pointless, as it's just a way for lazy people to circumvent typing...
would be cool, and look in css gungame servers, there are ppl talkin, and not for teams.
If CoD4 has thought me anything, it's that godam annoying American children with squeaky voices roaring down the intertubes is hella annoying. A huge -1 for this in LFS, or at least make it permanently disable-able
Quote from dougie-lampkin :If CoD4 has thought me anything, it's that godam annoying American children with squeaky voices roaring down the intertubes is hella annoying. A huge -1 for this in LFS, or at least make it permanently disable-able

Same here! both in Burnout Paradise and GRID, you hear alot of annoying stuff that you probably don't get! -1 in LFS. you all ready got a chatbox.
i think this would be a very good idea - but.... you have the problem of when some idiot comes on the server and starts going mad annoying everyone (a common happening on racedriver GRID on PS3). If it where to happen (ever) it should be that ok everyone can speak freely but if someone is annoying you, you can lower the volume of their mic over everyone elses so they are no bother to you....
It's a shit idea. Every game (DOD:S, CSS, TF2, etcera) I disable voice chat as my first action becuase very rarely is it useful.
IMO I belive it would cause bandwith problems, or at least increase them by too much amount. I think it's better to use external programs like Team Speak, Ventrilo etc to communicate.
And on that way the ones that want to talk and listen can join the channel, the ones that don't want to can simply note join.
Quote from The Very End :And on that way the ones that want to talk and listen can join the channel, the ones that don't want to can simply note join.

It's more, the ones you want to talk or listen to, you can invite them. The ones you don't want to listen to, you don't invite.
people also have sex on them things... i played cs once when someone did that but i muted them.
if it were setup so users could make their own channels (passworded) then it could be useful. but TS does the job nicely
Quote from mutt107 :people also have sex on them things... i played cs once when someone did that but i muted them.

Seriously? O_o
One of the problems with modern FPS online games is that they have VOIP. It usually is horrible to listen other peoples geeky voices and it just kills the "athmosphere" and concentration.

I can't even imagine how horrible it would be on racing sim.

If you want to voice communicate with your mates, use TeamSpeak or Ventrilo or similar. I use that with my friends when we need it.
There's not enough need for it in a racing game.

It's needed in FPS games because the idea is (whether people use it for that is another issue) that you can discuss tactics while you play, and let the rest of your team know where the enemy is.

In a racing sim your tactics are your own, and having 30 people all talking together is going to create a nightmare mess of noise. Passworded channels might help, but I think this is one situation where an external app like TS or Ventrilo is a better choice.
in sim racing, your tactic is not always your own. when on TS, i have done a bit of spotting (race start) for my team mates. also relayed tire temps and damage. also relayed splits to other drivers. there have been times when ATC Franky500 was racing the guy 5 places ahead of him due to franky pit stopping. it's also useful for keeping the driver focussed during enduro races. but...............i do agree that race sims don't really need it when there are quallity apps out there that do more than enough. (example) we at ATC have a bot in our ts that you can call on your phone and you will be able to talk to the lads on TS. tiz very handy.
... Only because you guys stoled it from UKCT!

*cues sound that only Franky knows what it is*

#18 - wien
The day I have to listen to spotty teenagers pwning n00bs while playing LFS is the day I stop racing. The chat feature is depressing enough as is.
Quote from wien :The day I have to listen to spotty teenagers pwning n00bs while playing LFS is the day I stop racing. The chat feature is depressing enough as is.

Erhm, block message(s) ?
I like the chat function, it's a nice place to relax after a race or communicate if your in spectate mode. If the racers find that bottering they simply with one click can disable the chat.
#20 - wien
how can you know there's stupidity if you've got it blocked? we're not looking to cure stupidity, only control the stupidity you read.

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG