The online racing simulator
Hill Climb Course
(131 posts, started )
#1 - mctav
Hill Climb Course
I checked the sticky at the top of the page + did a search for hill climb on the forum to check whether or not it had been previously suggested. I couldn't see anything so I figured I would make a thread.

Basicallly I think point to point hill climbs would be a cool addition. Obviously they wouldn't be suitable for multi player courses <well unless everyone went on and took turns...not a problem on a course that only lasts 40-50seconds? Gives you time to fiddle with set up between goes> Certainly oppertunity for good hotlaps action! The local hill climb course here has a record some where near 40seconds if I remember correctly.

In the UK they seem to be a very popular form of grass roots motor sport.

The game already has all the style of cars you'd expect at a hill climb...small FWD, open top caterham style and the open wheeled formula cars.

Courses ideally would be narrow tarmac affairs with plenty of corners that climb up a hill. The often have hair pins as they wind back and forth up the hill. Quite a large change in elevation would be ideal. It makes it difficult keeping your speed up but gives advantages when breaking up hill...some good skills to learn. It could be applied in reverse with down hill courses.

Most likely to be in country/wooded settings.

I guess the Goodwood festival of speed hill climb is a famous example but there are plenty of small tracks in country estates etc around the country.
i think it has been suggested before but maybe that was on RSC.
i'm up for that idea

Remember thats where Andy Priaulx started from... hill climbing. He's now a ETCC & WTCC champion driver!
I've always liked the Hill-Climb idea, same with point to point rally stages of all kinds, but (imho) we'd really need some basic kind of stage editor for it to be a serious addition to lfs with a truly long-term lifespan.
I can already imagine it: hillclimb with UF1000, WR currently at 14:56.18
#5 - ajp71
Hillclimbing is a great idea, the Goodwood Festival of Speed really isn't a great hillclimb like Shesley or Prescott.

I'd prefer to see long tarmac hillclimbs like in the European hillclimb championship, there's a website with some amazing onboard videos somewhere anybody have a link?
A hill climb would be freaking awesome. Plus the drifters could go the wrong way and use it as a drift track
#8 - mctav
Quote from ajp71 :Hillclimbing is a great idea, the Goodwood Festival of Speed really isn't a great hillclimb like Shesley or Prescott.

It's a good example for those not familiar with the idea. I haven't heard/seen any of the european championship. Just like the idea of small courses that are challenging.
id love to see a pikes peak type hillclimb in lfs
Hualapai Nation @ RBR. As close as it gets to hill climb... or is there any hill climbing sims out there?
Hill climbs sounds good then u can drift back down with out jumping on the Accelrator Next patch maybe Dev's could make a track For hill climbing?
Hope so
Good idea i made a picture of what it could look like
Attached images
hillclimbing.png
hill climb would be very nice

we in germany start in i think ~30s intervals, the race for the rest of the drivers has just to be restarted, if somebody crashes.
Just to point out European hillclimbing is not a rally/drifting disipline, more like a circuit racing setup car and driving style. Definatley not like a rally stage or Pikes Peak style dirt climb.
It would have almost zero online use as it would need to be quite long and wide to allow more than one acer at time. Maybe for hotlapping but I see little use for it, though it might be fun...
No actually, online, it could be a bit like the 2-lane drag, except 2 persons with well, about 20-30sek. between eacother? And the rest watches
Quote from Hyperactive :It would have almost zero online use as it would need to be quite long and wide to allow more than one acer at time. Maybe for hotlapping but I see little use for it, though it might be fun...

I totally agree. That's why I think that for it to be a viable long term multiplayer feature, there needs to be an almost unlimited number of stages/hills etc, so that people can make a stage, or an event, and then run the event as though it were real (with a limited number of practice and timed runs). If there is a limited number of stages then, as you said, the stages/hills will just be hotlap fodder and the time would have been better spent on race tracks.
Hillclimbs! An underrated sport and quite underappreciated here in Oz.

Perhaps they could include a bunch of different routes of varying lengths, steepness and difficulty, all set on the same hillside, the same way we have several different configs for the circuits we have now? Also including different surfaces - tarmac/gravel/dirt etc...
Would be a great addition to the rally pack too...there could even be room for a short, twisty, hilly circuit or two (maybe even one huge one - 170+ turns, 8+ minute laps )...
this, i think, will be good when engine damage and engine temp is implemented.

A good up hill, which will labour the car to its limits will be top class.
I think they could add more DIRT RALLY tracks. In forests or even could add more attention to rally sport. With than kind of physics they could rule SIM WORLD
dont forget the stunt dirt track.. with a off road section, mud pit, and a few jumps.
Galthar, there's been talk of a rally pack, possibly coming for S3 ...
I like the way LFS cars handle on dirt and I'd love some more dirt tracks..
With the current "rally" physics hill climbing with tarmac stages could work pretty well. But with dirt stages it needs lots of work. Rallycross in LFS feels just so arcadish after RBR.
Quote from sinbad :I totally agree. That's why I think that for it to be a viable long term multiplayer feature, there needs to be an almost unlimited number of stages/hills etc, so that people can make a stage, or an event, and then run the event as though it were real (with a limited number of practice and timed runs). If there is a limited number of stages then, as you said, the stages/hills will just be hotlap fodder and the time would have been better spent on race tracks.

While I think editable stages or a ton of different stages would be cool, I think you're off base to say that it wouldn't be viable without this. There are TONS of guys who drive "The Dragon" every single weekend for hours on end. It's one stretch of road, but it doesn't get old. The same can be said for several roads around the US (and the world). As long as the stretch of road is interesting and fun to drive, it doesn't need to change.

Look at how many people spend hours and hours week after week driving Blackwood. And that track has less than a dozen turns. Imagine how much time could be spent on a downhill track (or uphill, depending on how you run it) that had four or five times as many turns!

Hill Climb Course
(131 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG