The online racing simulator
Forum suggestion: Omit "Demo/S1/S2" tag under user name
Following this recent thread, I want to suggest that the "Demo racer", "S1/2 licensed" tags be omitted. It seems to me that a large number of users see the "Demo" tag under someone's name as an invitation for hostile language. This is a starting point for discriminatory behaviour, and bad for the community.

In some cases it is handy to see someone's license status, but it would be better if it was 2 clicks away (e.g. in the user's profile).

References:
Blue-eyed/brown-eyed experiment
Stanford prison experiment
#2 - J@tko
IMO people's behaviour needs to change, not the forum.
#3 - Bean0
RTM any abusive posts.

People will get the message when they see short holidays being handed out.
Yes, something like it happened in some other forum i also visit.

There was this "Newbie" and "Member" status. You start as newbie and get to member after you make 100 posts. In those days there were huge amounts of spam, because everyone wanted to be a member. I noticed cases where they were posting the same reply in different threads just to get that holy 100th post.
Then the "newbie" was removed. Everyone is a "member" now, and there is little or no spam at all.

And back on-topic, +1 to this.
while we are at it, removing the post count would also be a good idea srsly tho', people who overreact and are disrespectful to others should get a slap and a handful of bananas ^^
Can someone provide a link to the post that abuses a demo user just because he is a demo user?

I don't want to see a post 'abusing' a demo user because he has been religiously using the demo nightly for 3 years and wants the XRT back or 'rimz' or 'nawz'. Just a post that states simply 'you are a demo user, you suck simply because you are a demo user.'
Bad idea, I need someone to look down on.

More seriously that tag has helped find some crackers in here who were bold and/or dumb enough to ask questions in here hwich proved they were using a crack.
Quote from Bean0 :RTM any abusive posts.

The posts I'm worried about are not abusive as such, but they show a derogatory attitude.
Quote from mrodgers :Can someone provide a link to the post that abuses a demo user just because he is a demo user?

Here: "You hate to be victim of hate? Get S2."

Or read the whole thread. Plenty of statements saying that "there are good demo users, but <insert negative examples here>". This is discrimination at work, and it all starts at the tag. I want to remove the temptation to go into that mode of thinking.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Bad idea, I need someone to look down on.

That is exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Your remark may be ironic, but others aren't. You summed it up nicely: "I paid 24 quid so I'm better 'n you."
Quote : More seriously that tag has helped find some crackers in here who were bold and/or dumb enough to ask questions in here hwich proved they were using a crack.

Yes, it has its uses. But that is also possible if you put it somewhere in the user's profile.
As I see it, it shouldn't be really much of an issue. Of course there are some retards and people go like "oh, a demo-user", but as I see it, most of the time it is used to stigmatize oneself ("oh noes, I am only a demo user, everybody looks down on me")
I don't discriminate. I hate everyone equally.
Quote from wsinda :Following this recent thread, I want to suggest that the "Demo racer", "S1/2 licensed" tags be omitted. It seems to me that a large number of users see the "Demo" tag under someone's name as an invitation for hostile language. This is a starting point for discriminatory behaviour, and bad for the community.

In some cases it is handy to see someone's license status, but it would be better if it was 2 clicks away (e.g. in the user's profile).

References:
Blue-eyed/brown-eyed experiment
Stanford prison experiment

Totally agree with you.

+1
Quote from J@tko :IMO people's behaviour needs to change, not the forum.

Wise words.
Quote from wsinda :Here: "You hate to be victim of hate? Get S2."

Or read the whole thread. Plenty of statements saying that "there are good demo users, but <insert negative examples here>". This is discrimination at work, and it all starts at the tag. I want to remove the temptation to go into that mode of thinking.

I took that post you linked to as pure sarcasm. I have read that thread. No where did I see people bashing demo players just because they are demo players. I saw many comments about demo players asking for stuff they are "freeloading" on or comments on the demo players that play nonstop for years and years of which I agree with, but not comments on "hating" demo players in general.
I think it would be a great idea exept for one thing that was mentioned above and that is how would the devs catch people who use crack?
Quote from evilpimp :I think it would be a great idea exept for one thing that was mentioned above and that is how would the devs catch people who use crack?

... like you can actually stop 'em from using it?

Mods and devs could see people statuses above their avatar if that matters to them. And everyone else shouldn't
Maybe so, but then we'd rarely see crackers. They tend to post in the shitty threads I can't be arsed to read, so I rely on reported posts to pick this sorto stuff up. I'd imagine the other mods work on at least a vaguely similar basis.

I think removing such tags would just give the idiots something else to focus on. I think we just need to actually get serious on this shit, close it sooner and hand out more punishments. Not something I particularly look forward to having to do but I suppose it needs to be done.
No. The tag under the username helps bust crackers. It wasn't exactly the best phrasing, but I do agree to an extent with Riders Motion's quote.
Nothing wrong with a good bit of discrimination - especially if it's over licence status. It diverts us from taking the piss out of the colour of their skin or their sexual preferences.
Quote from tristancliffe :Nothing wrong with a good bit of discrimination - especially if it's over licence status. It diverts us from taking the piss out of the colour of their skin or their sexual preferences.

I agree, Homo.
At least I prefer the same species as me
#22 - Gunn
I don't see any of this as even a minor issue and I hope it doesn't gather enough momentum so as to turn into some full-blown drama. :arge:
If a demo user makes a stupid or silly comment don't yell at them and tell them to buy the full game for what there asking...just tell them a demo is only a demonstration of the game so you can't get everything.

S1 and S2 users don't litterally tell demo users they suck it's they way they reply to their posts.
Blah blah blah, no-one cares if you're a demo user, or an S1/S2 user.

If you're nice, don't have a chip on your shoulder, pleasant, add to the community in some way (whether it be skinning, or being nice and helpful on the forums) people will not care what licence status you are.

People only care when you start to cry about how people hate you for being a cheap skate dumbass who think it's cool to drive endlessly around BL1r in thier XRG with that Initial D skin trying to be pro, or, users of a S1 or Demo licence status who beg/cry/moan/whinge for new and extra free content.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG