The online racing simulator
Formula V8 Onboard Helmet Cam
(19 posts, started )
It's not really special, but I thought it would be worth sharing. The WR lap on Aston Historic.

The idea is a camera in the helmet (bit like Alonso had once). The camera movement may be a little exaggerated tho. The sound has been editted a bit afterwards to sound cooler. Well, here it is:

With stereo sound (cooler!):
http://www.lfsvideo.net/play.php?vid=287

Mono sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkBWXwvdKL0

Enjoy!

And another one:
Formula V8 Kyoto National WR Lap Helmet Cam
http://www.lfsvideo.net/play.php?vid=288

BMW Formula 1 on South City without TC:
http://www.lfsvideo.net/play.php?vid=289
Pretty nice. I like all edit but that stupid looking around on straights. I mean chicane shakes and stuff is nice, but looking on straight on threes 'n' fence and trying to find a cat there while flying 250+keys is stupid
Interesting concept and yes, quite a bit exagerated. One thing I caught from the start though: when you're on the track, all you look at is the track, plus your reference points. A bridge in the middle of a mile-long straight is not an RP. Don't think I have to tell you that, though.
Yeah that's a pretty good idea, however I'm a bit dizzzzy after all
Very cool idea. I like this movie!

I think the "looking around"-thing is meant to be that the driver is looking in the mirror.
Quote from Forbin :Interesting concept and yes, quite a bit exagerated. One thing I caught from the start though: when you're on the track, all you look at is the track, plus your reference points. A bridge in the middle of a mile-long straight is not an RP. Don't think I have to tell you that, though.

Ye, you're right. But I don't have time realizing that on track. :P
I'll probably make another one soon, that's a bit more realistic. Still, this is spectacular, right? :P

Quote from Martin.S :Very cool idea. I like this movie!

I think the "looking around"-thing is meant to be that the driver is looking in the mirror.

It was actually, but it doesn't really work. Especially when you know you're the only car on the track.
I actually had the idea to make this for a while, just never did. Decent job, but really, he's looking around too much IMO.
I agree, in some corners the looking is overly exagerated. For example look at the final hairpin. But i really do like the idea .
#9 - bbman
If you constantly look turn your head around that much, the wind and g-forces will tear your neck apart in a couple of laps...

If you turn on the steer look function, that's pretty much all that's needed... A quick glance at the speedo on a straight, but that's about it...
Nice idea and well made.

P.s. - The only thing is missing is the voice of the driver giving comments about that lap. That would be awesome!
overexagerated - maybe...
pointless as a help to learn the track - probably...
nice idea and a nice movie - definetly
I for example enjoyed this

(DANG, this year LFS Movies christmass came early)
#13 - JJ72
try overlaying a realistic image of the internal of a helmet, it might be quite convincing.

it should be rather out focus though, and you should lower the seat a bit as well too.
I agree, I really like this video. Shame there are not other cars on the track so that it makes it like you looking in your mirrors. Very good indeed

~Sp33d
Quote from JJ72 :try overlaying a realistic image of the internal of a helmet, it might be quite convincing.

it should be rather out focus though, and you should lower the seat a bit as well too.

It may be different in a car helmet, especially one with a sun strip, but on a bike, you generally don't notice the helmet. There is an overall sense of being enclosed compared to no helmet at all but it does not impede your vision much.
Quote from JJ72 :try overlaying a realistic image of the internal of a helmet, it might be quite convincing.

Nah, that's always too fake. I thought of blurring the edges a bit, but I don't know how, so the darker edges give the same feeling.

Last one for now:
BMW Formula 1 on South City without TC:
http://www.lfsvideo.net/play.php?vid=289
Well, come to think of it, it depends what you want to recreate... Either the view a driver would have, or a view of a helmet camera. Point of view of the driver, I don't really know, I guess it's not far off, and dunno for the helmet appearance; but if you want to simulate a helmet camera, then having the inside of a helmet isn't fake, but rather closer to the truth. Example

And IMO, there's just too much moving around. I'm sure you can do most of that just by moving your eyes (if we go with the helmet cam idea. Otherwise, EYE view, that might be okay, but still, doesn't seem to look enough at the road, but then again).
There's also the issue of how a driver moves his attention around his field of vision, moving his eyes less. Sounds weird but it works. And it's not something that's easy to replicate in a video.
what he's trying is the helmet view, not the eyes of the driver view...
That's why i think you need to lower the camera a bit... the rest is just great.
Keep it up

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG