The online racing simulator
Turbo charger improvement
(132 posts, started )
Hi i noticed some mistake in the game, it is a bit unrealistic.

The problem is that the turbocharger just works in neutral gear when im on full throttle and not starts working at for example 2500 rpm, in real it starts to work at a special rpm.

i hope you may improve this problem.

Andy
#2 - BigB
I would like to have it more realistic, too.

BigB
It comes on when the car is at the limiter. The turbo's on the cars are set to high revs.
its a known bug / deficiency with the turbo.
Quote from Luke.S :The turbo's on the cars are set to high revs.

What on earth are you talking about? Turbo chargers aren't simply "set" at a specific RPM. The flow rate, or amount of exhaust is what causes boost to build up. How this is calculated in LFS, I have no idea. But I do know that in the last patch, I think the turbocharger physics were improved by adding engine vacuum that the turbocharger has to over come. In the previous patches, you would get boost by just tapping the throttle a little, whereas now you have to wait for the turbocharger to overcome the vacuum.
What on earth are you talking about w4h?
Quote from tristancliffe :What on earth are you talking about w4h?

First, of all, nice job spamming. Secondly, in patch Z, and the later Y test patches, the turbocharger starts out at negative boost. This doesn't happen in earlier patches, because when you would rev the engine at all in the earlier patches, you would immediately create boost. This is not the case in patch Z.
I was on about the flow rate stuff you posted.
Quote from tristancliffe :I was on about the flow rate stuff you posted.

Ahh... well that would make sense then. Because admittedly I probably have no idea what I was talking about when I typed that. But what I was thinking when I was writing that is that the higher the flow rate of the exhaust, the faster the turbocharger spools up. Probably incorrect, but more at least I'm more knowledgeable about turbochargers then the person who created this thread.
#10 - Don
Quote from wheel4hummer :First, of all, nice job spamming. Secondly, in patch Z, and the later Y test patches, the turbocharger starts out at negative boost. This doesn't happen in earlier patches, because when you would rev the engine at all in the earlier patches, you would immediately create boost. This is not the case in patch Z.

it was always (or for a long time) like this, there was just never a digital gauge of turbo pressure
Quote from Don :it was always (or for a long time) like this, there was just never a digital gauge of turbo pressure

Well if it was like this for a long time, then I guess the turbochargers are more difficult to spool in patch Z. Because when you would rev the engine with no load in patch Y, you would make ~2psi. But in patch Z, you don't make any boost unless there is load on the engine.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Well if it was like this for a long time, then I guess the turbochargers are more difficult to spool in patch Z. Because when you would rev the engine with no load in patch Y, you would make ~2psi. But in patch Z, you don't make any boost unless there is load on the engine.

That can't be, the turbo is driven by the exhaust gas which should be solely rpm-dependend. However, I think the turbo inlet valve is now somehow connected to the throttle, I don't get any turbo pressure at all if I don't floor it
Quote from morpha :That can't be, the turbo is driven by the exhaust gas which should be solely rpm-dependend.

Then how come in the XRR, I get 16psi at full throttle at 6000rpm in 2nd gear, while I only get about 8psi or so at 6000rpm, full throttle in 1st gear? And in 3rd gear at 6000rpm at full throttle, you hit about full boost?

Quote from morpha :However, I think the turbo inlet valve is now somehow connected to the throttle

Well, the throttle valve comes after the turbocharger, first of all. There is no "turbo inlet valve", as it would be quite redundant to have two throttle valves. Also, the more you open the throttle, the more air is going into the engine, and therefore more exhaust is entering the turbine side of the turbocharger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp-EVOPBhIo (After 4:12 it's just about troubleshooting turbocharged engines)
No idea...
XRR, no gear, full throttle, 7492 rpm -> 1.7599 bar
XRR, first gear, full throttle, 7492 rpm -> 1.7599 bar
XRR, second gear, full throttle, 7492 rpm -> 1.7599 bar

Quote from wheel4hummer :Well, the throttle valve comes after the turbocharger, first of all. There is no "turbo inlet valve", as it would be quite redundant to have two throttle valves.

Right, sorry, that was pretty much my point, it is as if there was such a valve in LFS.
€: To clarify, as if there was a valve between the turbo's inlet and the exhaust system. Such valves exist in RL btw. but they're not supposed to be closed on single-turbo systems
Quote from morpha :No idea...
XRR, no gear, full throttle, 7492 rpm -> 1.7599 bar
XRR, first gear, full throttle, 7492 rpm -> 1.7599 bar
XRR, second gear, full throttle, 7492 rpm -> 1.7599 bar

That's because you're bouncing off the rev limiter, silly!

Quote from morpha :Such valves exist in RL btw. but they're not supposed to be closed on single-turbo systems

On sequential twin-turbo systems, there is a valve that stops exhaust gasses from going into the secondary turbo charger.

Quote from morpha :Right, sorry, that was pretty much my point, it is as if there was such a valve in LFS.

Well, there is a throttle valve in LFS... <- Unnecessary smart-ass comment, btw
Quote from wheel4hummer :That's because you're bouncing off the rev limiter, silly!

For me, the turbo pressure increases completely linearly, any gear, as long as I'm flooring it. However, I have to floor it, pedal to the metal, completely flat or I won't get any pressure at all.

Quote from wheel4hummer :Unnecessary smart-ass comment, btw

Absolutely
Quote from morpha :However, I have to floor it, pedal to the metal, completely flat or I won't get any pressure at all.

When I'm bouncing off the rev limiter, I get about 10psi of boost at 3/4 throttle in neutral...

Also, look at the following replay. If the boost in LFS is solely affected by RPM, then how come when I hit the brakes while in 2nd gear, and floor it, the RPM slowly drops to 4000rpm, but my boost stays at around 16psi (please excuse the spiking, by the way, my pedals suck :P). Clearly, morpha, you are wrong.
Attached files
lolnoob.spr - 22.2 KB - 231 views
Vaccum will not slow down a turbo and more than likely would assist it in spooling since you are drawing air through it in the direction it is designed to push air.

If there is little or no load on the engine then vacuum will still be too high to close the blowoff valve completely and you will lose boost. Atleast untill you get near the maximum speed the engine can rev with the intake size it has. which would be a bad idea since thats usualy well above redline.

When a Turbo equiped car is idleing the blow-off valve is sitting open, when the vaccum drops off as the engine speeds up the blow off valve closses. The blow off valve and turbo spooling rate/time are completely seperate from eachother, and as soon as you get vacuum again the blow off valve will open regardless of boost or not.

When Demo had a turbo the only thing wrong that I noticed was the lag.
Quote from wheel4hummer :When I'm bouncing off the rev limiter, I get about 10psi of boost at 3/4 throttle in neutral...

Also, look at the following replay. If the boost in LFS is solely affected by RPM, then how come when I hit the brakes while in 2nd gear, and floor it, the RPM slowly drops to 4000rpm, but my boost stays at around 16psi (please excuse the spiking, by the way, my pedals suck :P). Clearly, morpha, you are wrong.

Well I was wrong about the full throttle thing, there actually is some pressure starting from 50% throttle. However, the XRR's turbo boosts up to 1.7 bar at about 5k rpm, any gear, full throttle.
Quote from morpha :However, the XRR's turbo boosts up to 1.7 bar at about 5k rpm, any gear, full throttle.

No it doesn't!
Each time I slowed down to 2000RPM and then went full throttle until the rev limiter
1st gear, at 5000rpm - 0.36 bar
2nd gear, at 5000rpm - 0.73 bar
3rd gear, at 5000rpm - 1.2 bar

I have no idea how you get up to 1.7 bar at 5000rpm in every gear. Do you have some sort of ill3gal nawzzz mod or something?
Attached files
usuck_lol.spr - 7.8 KB - 210 views
Quote from wheel4hummer :No it doesn't!
Each time I slowed down to 2000RPM and then went full throttle until the rev limiter
1st gear, at 5000rpm - 0.36 bar
2nd gear, at 5000rpm - 0.73 bar
3rd gear, at 5000rpm - 1.2 bar

I have no idea how you get up to 1.7 bar at 5000rpm in every gear. Do you have some sort of ill3gal nawzzz mod or something?

I think we're talking about different ways of testing here.
You're trying normal, linear acceleration, basically building up speed rather than turbo pressure. I go for turbo pressure rather than speed

To get 1.7 bar in 1st @ 5000, I actually have to left-foot brake to keep the revs @ 5000 while still applying full throttle. If I just go for it and accelerate like I normally would, my results pretty much match yours.

Click me, I'm a video! ... showing how I drive when I'm concentrating on a little read-out instead of the tarmac I'm meant to stay on
Quote from morpha :To get 1.7 bar in 1st @ 5000, I actually have to left-foot brake to keep the revs @ 5000 while still applying full throttle.

Yes, that is what happens. That proves your previous statement to be incorrect.

Quote from morpha :That can't be, the turbo is driven by the exhaust gas which should be solely rpm-dependend.

Quote from morpha :I think we're talking about different ways of testing here.
You're trying normal, linear acceleration, basically building up speed rather than turbo pressure. I go for turbo pressure rather than speed

To get 1.7 bar in 1st @ 5000, I actually have to left-foot brake to keep the revs @ 5000 while still applying full throttle. If I just go for it and accelerate like I normally would, my results pretty much match yours.

Click me, I'm a video! ... showing how I drive when I'm concentrating on a little read-out instead of the tarmac I'm meant to stay on

And this is because you are putting a high load on the engine (by braking and accelerating at the same time)
The high load keeps the engine from accelerating and maintaining vacuum, because the throttle is open, the blow off valve closess and you get higher boost.
In your eagerness to prove me wrong, you both seem to have missed the point. The turbo pressure increases linearly, if there was a way to keep the throttle completely open in first gear without accelerating, the turbo pressure would increase in exactly the same time at the same engine RPM as it would in 6th. The difference is that the acceleration in 6th is way slower, giving the turbo more time to rev up.

Get my point?

(132 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG