The online racing simulator
Idea for cruise track, using an existing track
I know that there are a lot of threads about cruise, and the pure racers don't like them, but my idea won't affect the simulation or anything, so just read and post your opinion.

My idea is very simple, but it could works. The perfect cruise layout is a layout where all the combinations of the track are available. I thought if this could not be done by the arquitechture of the game, but I saw BlackWood Car Park, where no "road markers" (points where the road is) exist, so is no problem for the game to have a circuit without start, splits and finish line.

Why Scawen don't make another carpark, but in South City, where the map is a big square but with the normal South City fences and barriers, where you can drive, making possible to drive on any road.

The only posible bug could be if you hit a barrier and you go out the fences, with my idea you will not get a message about the limit of the track and you won't get into spectator mode. But, maybe, Scawen could solve this.
Scawen has talked about this multiple times, they won't do this thing intentionally to avoid turning LFS into Midtown Madness... LFS is a racing simulator, not a cruise game, they have told this several times...
Oh, I don't know Scawen is against cruising.

But I need to insist, I think my idea is very easy to do, why don't try it?
Not possible due to the graphics engine.
Quote from Whiskey :Oh, I don't know Scawen is against cruising.

Quote :to avoid turning LFS into Midtown Madness... LFS is a racing simulator, not a cruise game

He's not against cruising, but LFS is a racing simulator.
Cruising is not a simulation of normal city driving?

All physics improvements that are more real for racing with an XFG or XRG need to be more real using them for cruising.

If Scawen added the Cruise mode in the filters on Multiplayer screen, and there are a lot of cruise servers, I don't understand why my idea i no good for all drivers?

Racers could made a chase race, where the first is who take one road or other
Drifters could do an infinite layout withour repeating the same corners
Cruisers will be happy because they have a real city

I don't think he ever said a word about cruising on the forum.

Could you show us those posts where he talked about it multiple times, Kirill?
Quote from Whiskey :
If Scawen added the Cruise mode in the filters on Multiplayer screen,

That was so us racers don't have to sift throught the heaps upon heaps of cruise servers that are all exactly the same
I like the idea but, hmmm, alot of crashing would go on, due to drifting/racing/cruising everyone going in different ways etc..
Yes, but in cruise servers there are rules, speed limits and cops, I don't think that a simple intersection could cause a big problem. And if this idea is better than the Car Park we'll have a map, so we can know if there are people near to us
Quote from Whiskey :I think my idea is very easy to do, why don't try it?

Turn the question around: Why try it? It has nothing to do with racing, and the devs are trying to produce a racing simulator, so your suggestion makes no sense. If I suggested "Why not make it so you can put tin cans on the back of the car and pretend you're leaving a wedding reception" then it wouldn't be any less inappropriate a suggestion than yours is.

If you want a "drive your grandma to the shops" simulator then you need to look elsewhere. There are lots of free-roam car games you could be playing.
Quote from Whiskey :Yes, but in cruise servers there are rules, speed limits and cops, I don't think that a simple intersection could cause a big problem. And if this idea is better than the Car Park we'll have a map, so we can know if there are people near to us

Ignoring the fact that LFS is a racing simulator for a second, if scawen is having a cruise filter he might aswell let us have the whole track, intersections would not be a problem, HOWEVER, i beleive that the graphics engine on lfs cannot handle it anyway, and 512 objects is not going to be enough on that many different tracks to go down

Personnaly speaking i know how popular cruise servers are on lfs me being part of one of them, and i know it disturbs racers, thats why i was 100% with the new filter on cruise servers - But its up to scawen really
Quote from tommer :if scawen is having a cruise filter he might aswell let us have the whole track,

As someone else has already pointed out, the cruise filter is there to remove cruise servers from the list for people who would rather they weren't there. It's an option provided for the convenience of racers, because it's a racing sim.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Why not make it so you can put tin cans on the back of the car and pretend you're leaving a wedding reception

OMG, Kev! You HAVE to get this suggestion out of a "cruise track" topic and into it's own topic for visibility. This would be so awesome if implemented and could possibly take LFS clear over the top to Final at last!

Get it done before iRacing does it!
Possibly because of this:

It doesn't mention cruising on there at all. Any "mods" to the basic racing gameplay mechanic are entirely unsupported. At least for now.

And I'm pretty sure he's already said that the reason the car park works is because it's technically still narrow enough to be rendered as a standard section of track.
What I don't get is how this isn't possible. If it's possible to make a big patch of track (like the car park or autocross area), and it's possible to place objects in it to make predefined routes, why can't fixed objects be added, that would do the same thing? Instead of making roads that go around objects, wouldn't it be possible to put objects on top of the roads? I'm just curious if this would be possible or not

(Note I've been cruise server-free since March. I'm out of rehab!)
The graphics engine cannot cope with multiple possible routes.
But it wouldn't be different "routes", it would be just like putting barriers down on the car park to make "streets". Like having restricted areas on an open plain.
#20 - JJ72
simple.....if you render the whole south city in the same time your FPS will be buggered.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :But it wouldn't be different "routes", it would be just like putting barriers down on the car park to make "streets". Like having restricted areas on an open plain.

The graphics/physics engine could be able to do what you want. It's just that the devs have other things to do than creating environments for cruising. And maybe after it is possibly done, you'd only find out that such a thing is actually boring
Quote from Kirill.D :Scawen has talked about this multiple times, they won't do this thing intentionally to avoid turning LFS into Midtown Madness... LFS is a racing simulator, not a cruise game, they have told this several times...

Quote from Kristjan.J :He's not against cruising, but LFS is a racing simulator.

Quote from thisnameistaken :Turn the question around: Why try it? It has nothing to do with racing, and the devs are trying to produce a racing simulator, so your suggestion makes no sense.

Quote from Dajmin :Possibly because of this:

If you don´t understand it yet, I can tell you it in Spanish :slap:
#23 - Jakg
I think the point is that LFS knows that you can go either forward or back, and knows where to render the track (i.e. 100m in front and behind as a guess), whereas if ALL routes were opened then it couldn't "geuss" and would just load damn near the whole thing and kill your FPS.

And this is a racing sim...
I think LFS renders all the track, I don't have any news about it has streaming like other games, like Commandos Strike Force, who has a enormous enviroment without loading screens.

The only thing that could make my idea imposible to do is the graphic engine, but the FPS drop could be not important in few years, with new graphic cards generations
#25 - JJ72
it doesn't render all of it in full detail, the closer you get the more detail you have, polywise and texture quality wise.

and it doesn't just involve GPU, it has loading on the CPU and RAM as well, why don't we worry about it when the time comes that everyone owns a PC that can have such performance, and rest the case for now

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG