The online racing simulator
Ctra 2 (tbo)
(248 posts, started )
Ctra 2 (tbo)
Hi,

I'm thinking about this for very long time, and waiting if you (admins and developers of CTRA system) are going to do something. Since I have feeling that it's going to stay as it is now, let's say forever, I have to say my point of view.

All of this is about popularity of CTRA. In good old days we used to have fun on STCC from day to day, every day same old ppl, doing same TBO cars on venue tracks, picking for points and always having good time.
Then Patch X has come and there's no more STCC, it's more pro now, it's CTRA... Now it's LRF and TBO together. Ok looks like a smart move, you can race in your class. But hell no, there's a problem that no one sees: LRF is kinda "too hard to handle" to almost anyone and ppl gave up on CTRA2. But why they don't stay and race in good old TBO? Here's the answer, they want overall win, stupid but that's the way it is. Sorry to say this, but I'm one of them.

FBM has come and everyone got crazy about it, I did for some time too. But that's not TBO. I got bored of FBM is a month or two. Catching some STO racing around CTRA1. And GTR's on CTRA3.

But I miss pure TBO racing. Where we can bang our doors on each other on some decent speed. When we can pick a car that we like, or we can all handle and have racing fun.

Thanks for reading, I hope CTRA2 becomes TBO only again.
#2 - HVS5b
I wasn't part of these amazing good ole days, but I do thank Race 2 for introducing me to the RAC.

When I tried this car earlier I found it nearly undriveable. Now I can complete races and sometimes be competitive.

The TBO cars are also ideal for good quick pick up races but are much easier to learn than the LRF cars (more points for LRF racers pls!)

Both deserve a slot in the CTRA system, imo.
Quote from HVS5b :Both deserve a slot in the CTRA system, imo.

They does, but how about on separate servers?
In good old days, LRF used to be on CTRA3. Maybe now to make it on CTRA4 or dunno if there is CTRA4, then on 5
#4 - HVS5b
Quote from N I K I :They does, but how about on separate servers?
In good old days, LRF used to be on CTRA3. Maybe now to make it on CTRA4 or dunno if there is CTRA4, then on 5

The CTRA admin have said on many occasions they cannot justify additional servers due to the number of racers involved

Given the broad range of car classes invlolved and the sensible restrictions on the number of servers, I'm not sure there is a better solution out there?

Personally, theres not much I would change even if I had a magic wand Maybe scrap the GTR2's (I hate restrictions on cars...)

Just out of interest, how did it used to work?

race 1 - as now
race 2 - tbo
race 3 - lrf
race 4 - gtr

??
There is no CTRA race 4. Restricted GTR's are together with normal GTR's.
But there is UF-BR witch used to be popular when it's been released, but I think not anymore. So how about scrap UF-BR and use that order that you've suggested. But race 4 = GTR's + restricted GTR's
Quote from HVS5b :Both deserve a slot in the CTRA system, imo.

+1

I enjoy driving the TBO's, and they are under used in pick and play racing, however, I also think the LRF class are woefully under rated, generally by people who don't seem to want to put the effort in to learn them.

I must confess, I am a little perplexed at the combination of TBO & LRF on the race 2 server, but I fear if the server was made TBO only we(I) would have nowhere to race LRF's anymore
Quote from danowat :I must confess, I am a little perplexed at the combination of TBO & LRF on the race 2 server, but I fear if the server was made TBO only we(I) would have nowhere to race LRF's anymore

I don't see it has some huge popularity this way ether and TBO lost all.
#8 - Bean0
Aaaah, the good old days...they really did provide some of the best public server racing that LFS could offer.

After X, race 2 just used to be TBOs, but was still empty most of the time.
There's a thread somewhere where there are a lot of people saying 'Give us LRF, we will race them'...LRF was added, and still a very empty server.

It depends though, sometimes you can have a few on, and with a mix of fast TBO/slower LRF drivers there are some interesting battles to be had.

The UFBR server has seen a rise in use since the second season of the UF Baby R Fallout Cup was announced.
I actually get really sad about the lack of people racing different cars/combos , I don't get much time to race, like last night, but wanted to do something interesting, nothing, same old yawnfest combo's populated by the glory seeking hotlapper brigade.

Luckly a couple of us went on race 2, and even though it was populated by just a couple of people, it was REALLY fun.

Bottomline is, people don't want to race the LRF class, people generally, now, don't want to race TBO either, if it ain't oval, FBM, FOX etc etc, you are bang outta luck.

It's one of the (many) things iRacing had going for it, you knew that every 3 hours there was going to be a populated race, on a combo you wanted
#10 - Dru
Quote from N I K I :So how about scrap UF-BR

I'll make you burn for that comment NIKI

J/K

The problem is not the servers or the amount of servers - it is filling them up.
Dru sorry, I'm just trying to find the way how to separate TBO and LRF

Anyone has some other idea, i can see that this SS servers aren't really used, except FBM
we shouldnt be accepted at ctra 1 when we are gold or something so we can race TBO... i really miss when there were good races with that class
#13 - Dru
Quote from chanoman315 :we shouldnt be accepted at ctra 1 when we are gold or something so we can race TBO... i really miss when there were good races with that class

would that really make you guys drive the TBO's - afterall the TBO's ARE there for you already(ok they are with the LRF's) it's just that you decide to go to Race 1 .......isn't it?

The race 2 server is there for you to go and race TBO's on - whether you do or not is another question I think..
It is because people like to race with others. Race1 has atleast 10 racers what ever the time. From Copper to Titanium. Race2 is empty most of the time. If the Gold and above racers couldn't race on Race1 they might start populating Race2.
lrf class is fun. let them remain an option on the race 2.
all we need is more population on the ctra servers in general.
Interesting too see that there are only ppl who like LRF posting in here.

I've started all this because I don't. Normal, closed roof, 250BHP cars are the ones that gives best racing not LRF.
I guess if LRF is better then STCC as a league would have them, not TBO
This is the second time people talking about these 'old times'. How about I set the Rising Phoenix Motorsports server up tomorrow night, with XRT, FXO, and RB4. Maybe at BL1. Anyone that wants to join, is welcome as long as your not a complete idiot.
#18 - Dru
Quote from racer hero :This is the second time people talking about these 'old times'. How about I set the Rising Phoenix Motorsports server up tomorrow night, with XRT, FXO, and RB4. Maybe at BL1. Anyone that wants to join, is welcome as long as your not a complete idiot.

Without sounding rude RH, I would not imagine that you would get that good a crowd - afterall - the CTRA server is ther 24/7 with the ability to race the TBO's its just that people choose not to.

As with respect to other drivers saying that they drive in Race 1 because its busy - the only reason that is - is because its half full of silver/gold etc drivers that don't want to go and have a race on Race 2 and maybe not get points or much competition for the first few races whilst the server populates it self.

For instance, last night, Danowat and I went to Race 2 (it was empty) but we thought - we want to race there, it was a 12 lapper - over the course of our first race think we have another 6 or 7 join.

Race 2 needs people to go on their to encourage others. If people continue to race on the Race 1 server rather than go on Race 2 and try and get others to join them, then really - should they be surprised that the race 2 server isn't populated much?

NIKI, regarding your LRF comment - i'm not sure tha it's just people who like LRF are posting here, I like TBO's as well sometimes .. the biggest problem before everyone goes all starry eyed over the 'good old days' of the TBO server, is that those people are basically no longer in LFS or racing TBO's actively, otherwise they all would have been clever enough to all meet up on race 2 wouldn't they?...... actually come to think of it, remembering who some of them were... maybe its not surprising
Quote from Dru :
The race 2 server is there for you to go and race TBO's on - whether you do or not is another question I think..

If i want to drive alone i just do hotlap, not online
Quote from Dru :As with respect to other drivers saying that they drive in Race 1 because its busy - the only reason that is - is because its half full of silver/gold etc drivers that don't want to go and have a race on Race 2 and maybe not get points or much competition for the first few races whilst the server populates it self.

You do get plenty of points by driving alone on the Race 2. When I was Silver you got 40 points just for driving around the track. (This was before last X-mas.) Granted you had to be quickish (go check my stats on LFSWorld and see for yourself) and not cause yellows. Besides usually after a while other people would show up.

I haven't been able to go on the Race 2 lately because of that thing called "Real Life" and the LXO Cup. When I get the chance I'll be on Race 2 driving the XRT.
-
(obsolum) DELETED by obsolum
Quote from chanoman315 :we shouldnt be accepted at ctra 1 when we are gold or something so we can race TBO... i really miss when there were good races with that class

Totally agree

+1

Gold drivers will still be able to choose from TBO, LRF, mini GTR's, GTR2 and UFBR. Reasonable choice, no?

I really don't see the problem with the race 2 server in terms of the mixed classes. It all adds to the fun All we need is more drivers.....
when STCC starts broadcasting again I'm sure there will be more people racing them again, like before. In my view these cars give the best racing in LFS. Thats why I chose them, until then I pretty much only did single seaters in LFS because as a driver my passion lies in mid distance single seaters. I wouldn't broadcast that though.

What works for spectators usually works for drivers too, the TBO's give great racing and they're terrific fun.

So get in em, and you never know, you might be STCC Champion one day...
#23 - Dru
Quote from chanoman315 :If i want to drive alone i just do hotlap, not online

you've totally missed the point

If you did drive on the Race 2 server then it would encourage others to do the same.

If all the people wanting to race/drive TBO's go and race other things because they dont 'want to be the first person on the server' then its not surprising the Race 2 server is less often visited....

to inspire others.... you have to lead from the front.
Quote from HVS5b : All we need is more drivers.....

Quote from chanoman315 :we shouldnt be accepted at ctra 1 when we are gold or something so we can race TBO..

I concur

Ctra Race 1 is a "entry-level server for new CTRA-licenced drivers, and while we do expect the highest of standards we are aware that this server is where most of the learning will be done. Newcomers welcomed! "

Not really a place for experienced racers with Silver or above I think.
So restrict entry to race 1 and force higher licence holders to upper tier servers to increase their population.

I am often guilty of joining Single Seater 1 , just because the higher tiered servers are empty.
But when I join ,there are more than enough National B+ licensed drivers for a good battle on SS2.

So just now it's catch 22 , nobody there ,so no one joins

Forcing drivers up is the only way I can see to populate the higher servers.This also gives the new drivers a chance to score some points, to get a better licence ,to join the next class,to make that more populated
By the way of thinking that has Gold and above drivers banned from Race1, surely the same applies to us Titanium and the Platinum licenced drivers being banned from Race 2.

You see the problem now...

Edit: Higher licensed drivers are not going on the lower servers for easy points as you might think. I could win races all day on Race 1 and still get less than 20 points in total.

Ctra 2 (tbo)
(248 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG