The online racing simulator
Smoke & dust - an importend effect, or not?
:wizard:
No question for me, LFS is a really great simulation!
Small thinks remain to make it greater.
If I had a wish for free I had one of them:

Smoke is an important visible element and simulates a big part of reality.
Of course, there is smoke and dust in the game and as far as I know, the smoke/dust is moving with the wind direction (great). But this effect is only for a very short time.

I had an old sim, sorry but I can’t remember the name, where you could see the smoke for about 20-30 seconds. It is great to drive true the smoke, made by racer in front of you and you can anticipate what happened in the past, like in real live.

My advice is to integrate a slider for adjustment the time for smoke and dust. With this feature you’ll become the possibility for a good view with short dust effects or a more fun view with realistic smoke effects.

Please give me your suggestion regarding this issue

Wil
Great and thanks to you!!!
I'll test it now!

Wil
Beware, making the smoke linger around too long is a real fps killer. Don't ask me how I know
That mod is good... but it would be nice if every pc had the same effect, and not just you. add a little more realism to everyones game
..or does it?.. LFS still renders smoke by shooting it out of the tires.. where as if you really ever have seen a burnout, the smoke just spews out from the tires and goes all over the place, rather than behind you, yes it will go out the rear for a short while, but after that.. it just goes everywhere (from wind)

now in LFS when your powersliding, then it looks right, becuase IRL it would look like its being shot out by the tires.. anyways, heres a good picture representing a true burnout
http://www.mitchsplace.com/cro ... le/images/new_burnout.jpg

unfortunately i deleted pictures from a burnout competition a few years ago at the Year One store.. but.. owell, ^ that shows it well enough of what a burnout should act like

also, sand and grass dont release smoke either lol, that also needs to be fixed in LFS, so for grass.. you would see some grass shards go everywhere, and for sand .. well.. sand particles and some tread marks
Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, what you’re told is true!!

Small steps to the final solution are often the best method.

What I miss in this issue is a serious start.
It seems to be not important for the rest of the clan.

Wil
Quote from deggis :

And Kege's smoke mod rocks. But because of the weird "grass smoke" effect that LFS has it's pretty much useless when playing. When someone goes off the track it looks like there's a green smoke grenade.

ahhh yes .. i forgot about that. i bet it's the same texture too, so you can't edit just one of them ..
you mean smoke like this?

ehehe...

Quote from deggis :Just some cool screens with the Smokemod:

Man, I need to get a new computer. Those screenies are nice. Nothing like mine would look like. And besides, I'd probably only have 5 fps with the smoke mod .
Quote from mrodgers :Man, I need to get a new computer. Those screenies are nice. Nothing like mine would look like. And besides, I'd probably only have 5 fps with the smoke mod .

They look nice because I took them with full FSAA and AF and those are edited a bit too. Only levels, some color adjustments and some softening though.

When playing I use 4xFSAA and 4xAF, even that I have a low-end machine. And I don't use Smokemod when playing.
I've tested kegetys smoke mod now.
http://koti.mbnet.fi/kegetys/lfs/

It’s not bad and a good start.
But it’s not only the quantity of smoke which is important also the time. I miss a seperate parameter to have influence on the time how long you can see the smoke.
Also the fact of the weird grass effect isn’t really pretty.

Wil
Have you noticed that hot tyres actually smoke? They were about 140 degrees in the middle (almost red) and the car was moving 10 km/h so no wheelspin. As you can see the smoke in the screenshot. This is also noticeable in slicks but not so clearly.

http://torttu.net/temp/lfs/hot_tyres.jpg
Quote from wilfredo :
My advice is to integrate a slider for adjustment the time for smoke and dust. With this feature you’ll become the possibility for a good view with short dust effects or a more fun view with realistic smoke effects.

A slider wouldn't work - "everyone" would just set it to minimum while racing. I also think we need more smoke, but it shouldn't be adjustable.

Or maybe a serverside option?

And I've noticed the hot tyres smoking too - weird?
I agree here that smoke needs to linger a bit longer on the track, at least from someone spinning (or doing a burnout post race ). If any of you has played NR2003, then you've no doubt seen a car spin or spun yourself creating a lot of smoke and still see it lingering around the next time you come around the track. Of course, it is no longer thick smoke, but the lingering effect is really nice.
Smoke NEVER stays lingering for 20-30 seconds in real life...
oh yes it does lol, smoke can linger around for several minutes at best

but obviously its pure based on atmospheric variables (temperature, wind, pressure, etc.)

tire smoke is just the same as any other type of smoke, look at wildfires for example, yes i know that is alot bigger and whatnot, but how long does smoke exist in the air from the time the whole this is put out? who knows, several days or even weeks at its best, smoke does linger obviously, since its much denser than air is, so it stays lower, and until it gets lighter.. cant really go anywhere so it just sits there
Quote from XCNuse :oh yes it does lol, smoke can linger around for several minutes at best

but obviously its pure based on atmospheric variables (temperature, wind, pressure, etc.)

tire smoke is just the same as any other type of smoke, look at wildfires for example, yes i know that is alot bigger and whatnot, but how long does smoke exist in the air from the time the whole this is put out? who knows, several days or even weeks at its best, smoke does linger obviously, since its much denser than air is, so it stays lower, and until it gets lighter.. cant really go anywhere so it just sits there

Find me 1 example where smoke has stayed around for 20 or 30 seconds on a track during a race.
This is a racing sim, not a "wildfire" sim so that doesn't really apply. The smoke comes off the car when it is at speed, with all the air swirling around the car and the surrounding cars the smoke gets dispersed very quickly.
well.. i doubt i can find any videos, but seeing you live in ireland you dont watch nascar, and after they do their burnouts.. they sit there for.. quite some time

edit:..go up and look at the picture roadhog posted ^^
I see smoke a bit like the tyre marks, easily lived without them in S1 but it was a really nice surprise when we got them.
I see them like little finishing touches, not as important as core elements but they just give that extra bit of polish that can sometimes make all the difference.
Quote from XCNuse :well.. i doubt i can find any videos, but seeing you live in ireland you dont watch nascar, and after they do their burnouts.. they sit there for.. quite some time

edit:..go up and look at the picture roadhog posted ^^

OK, wires crossed. I thought we were talking about racing, not burnouts.
From what i read i thought people wanted the smoke from lock-ups to stick around for 20-30 seconds which just doesn't happen.
Thanks to mrodgers - yes it was NR2003 where I saw the great effect of long lingering smoke for the first and last time and it was one of the new and most interesting effects in this game.

:heyjoe67_Compared with an wildfire simJ, the smoke in NR2003 wasn’t hindering for racing because there wasn’t to much smoke. But you could recognise the smoke for a long time, and that’s the real goal from my point of view.

:iagree: Of course, it isn’t really one of the bigger aspects for a good simulation but very nice to have.

Wil
oh ya ya, not much smoke is let out though, thats why (goes along with my wildfire example) it just depends on how much is released, if theres alot released, its gonna be there for quite some time, but if its not much.. it will disperse very rapidly
I Think this smoke mod is an add-on and the creator can't Realy Put In On The Game Because somme peapol have not the computer to run it (Like Graphik Card)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG