The online racing simulator
Mountain or Winding road (for uphill races!)
Okay first of all, I want to detail more my post, so as not to get flaming bananas from everywhere. When I speak about uphill races, I speak about THIS ( http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0b1E9xjJ4 ) kind of races.
So please people don't blame or flame me saying that I'm an initial D fan or whatever. Even if you disagree (and I'm sure there'll be lots of people who will), please do constructive comments.
Thanks ^^

So, I was suggesting that, because uphill races are quite popular in a lot of European countries (France, Italy, Belgium, Germany, etc), what would you think of having this kind of races implemented in LFS?

What I would suggest clearly would be a track divided in the following way:
- An A-->B tarmac track, with a lot of elevation change and hard corners, going uphill, with only a little grip (like in SO), and lots of other changes (track width, some special stuff like gutters...)
- A track taking a bit of the uphill road, but that will be a "loop" (like every other tracks of LFS)
- An A-->B dirt/asphalt road for rallye specials
- A dirt loop track for Rallycross.

There are some real locations the devs can rely on (e.g. : in France, the asphalt rallye specials : Bisanne, Joux-Plan, Joux-Verte, Côte d'Arbroz, etc).

I don't think I have to precise that there are many different categories in uphill races, going from to strictly stock road cars to OpenWheelers, Kartcross, GT's and so on...
Been sugested before, but still...

YES, YES, YES, YES!!!

We need this uphill and downhill tracks.

One in asphalt and another one in dirt, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBl4jG-IGSw
Sorry if it has already been posted, I didn't see it

Yeah, about uphill/downhill : I never seen (or heard) about professional downhill races, except in rallyes (such as Argentina). But if you make a uphill track, turning it downhill is gonna be pretty easy for players with the autocross editor (just put a start at the finish, two or three splits, and a finish at the start ^^)
Quote from Zen321 :Sorry if it has already been posted, I didn't see it

Yeah, about uphill/downhill : I never seen (or heard) about professional downhill races, except in rallyes (such as Argentina). But if you make a uphill track, turning it downhill is gonna be pretty easy for players with the autocross editor (just put a start at the finish, two or three splits, and a finish at the start ^^)

The only downhill tracks i saw were in rally too. but both could be added.
And by the way, relating to your first post, why would they flame you and saying you are an Initial D fan? I'm a fan of the anime myself, and i like mountain roads (note that i said mountain roads, not drift) A LOT, but it doesn't mean i'm automatically a drifter. unlike most of initial d fans out there, i'm aware drift is used only for show or as a last resort, and it's slower in the great majority of the curves (shall we say about 95%-98% of them) but it's hell for my tires, so it's not really an option.
But i admit it: sometimes when i'm bored in a race, i drift in one curve or another to keep me awake. but i only do it when i'm sure i'm not going to disturb anyone's racing line.
Yeah man, the anime is nice, but there are lots of racing purists that just can't make the difference between a guy asking for a uphill track for races, and a Japan mountain to appeal DRIFTORZ ^^

I drift from times to times, and I race a lot. I think that drifting help me for racing, cuz it made me know the limits of my car (always drifted with race setups), and gave me some reflexes to prevent from f***king up hard if I f**k my entries ^^

But we're getting off topic
I really hope that a track like this will be implemented, because it'll add to the racing experience (narrow tracks are really challenging and fun).
Yes, we definitely need narrow roads.

Just to make another suggestion, anther kind of track i would like to see is one in a tropical and beach area, i really like those environments. like this from outrun2:

http://ps2media.gamespy.com/ps ... ast-20060515014418490.jpg
Quote from jonny__27 :Yes, we definitely need narrow roads.

Just to make another suggestion, anther kind of track i would like to see is one in a tropical and beach area, i really like those environments. like this from outrun2:

http://ps2media.gamespy.com/ps ... ast-20060515014418490.jpg

Umm we have fern bay.... set in the topics, with some bits right next to a beach iirc.

As for uphill course, would be fun, but I'd rather see an actual race track that been built on the side of a mountian/hill. Like bathurst :S.
Yeah, Bathurst sounds nice and intense (seen some incar cams of Skaife )
Like this could be the base track, with some RallyX, and uphill course along.
Quote from Forbin :I'll have what he's having.

Sounds like a 21 year old blonde from here

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Zen321 :Sorry if it has already been posted, I didn't see it

Uphill and Downhill races don't exist, simply for the fact that there is almost no room to over-take someone.

Down/uphill tracks are usually time trials.

But..i wouldn't mind a hill type twisty or curvy track, i mean like, a proper curcuit in the hills for both a bit of a downhill and uphill
Quote from fragile_dog :Umm we have fern bay.... set in the topics, with some bits right next to a beach iirc.

As for uphill course, would be fun, but I'd rather see an actual race track that been built on the side of a mountian/hill. Like bathurst :S.

i already saw some fern bay prints, and honestly it's still not what i'm looking for.
The idea of a track going up and down a mountain is great. A dirt road doing the same thing would be awesome. Pikes peak anyone? Because this is mainly a multiplayer game the road should be wide enough to enable passing.

Sure the drifting crowd would cream their pants but that's unavoidable.
Quote from March Hare :

Sure the drifting crowd would cream their pants but that's unavoidable.

Yeah obviously, but would it be a real problem? I mean, a good update is an update that pleases to, even if it's not everyone, the majority of the community.
It would be a great experience AS for racers AS for drifters AS for cruisers, which I think will help reduce the huge drift (geologically speaking ) between racers and drifters.

Quote from Klutch :
Uphill and Downhill races don't exist, simply for the fact that there is almost no room to over-take someone.

Down/uphill tracks are usually time trials.

But..i wouldn't mind a hill type twisty or curvy track, i mean like, a proper curcuit in the hills for both a bit of a downhill and uphill

Please don't flame me, but even if most official time-trials races are often time trials, they usually take place in 2 lanes roads, which allows enough space to overtake. If you want some real life proof, just watch some races in "touges" (mountain passes in Japan), and you'll see some intense actions (I'm not speaking of Initial D anime, in this case of course).

About time trials, most of the autocross leagues here work on a time trial basis, as for autocross is basically the legacy of "uphill races where the track was flat" (slalom races), so I assume that autocross competitors would be pleased to have a 7.5km downhill and/or uphill track to compete on .

I really support the idea of an A->B "track", even if imho linking it to a standard loop track won't be bad and will please anyone. The only problem of loops is that when you race again and again on the same corners, it becomes boring (when racing, usually the first three laps are nice, because people are close enough for some actions, then the middle race is kinda boring, and finally the end, where everyone's tires are f**ked up tends to be fun as well).
+1, but the question is, how much priority would you guys give to this, because lets be honest, this is a great suggestion, but it will take some time to put into LFS, and there might be others that should have higher priority. A track is just a track, it will live for some time then you get bored of it again. So i think maybe updating things that affect every track, like weather, day-cycle, physics updates, etc, would bring more novelty to the game than a single new track.
Oh and if we kept pushing for the same side, it would be easier for devs to decide what to do next (or change their mind in case they had already).
Quote from Zen321 :The only problem of loops is that when you race again and again on the same corners, it becomes boring

In how is a loop more boring than a track going from a to b?

The way I see it, a long twisting track on the side of a mountain, going both upwards and downwards could cater both the "i want a nürburgring like track" and the "togue" crowd... you could always use the autox-editor to do simple up- or downhill a-b races.

but then, I'm not too fond of either, seeing it is a huge amount of work to do for eric, while it'll be probalby almost unused online.
Quote from LiveForBoobs :+1, but the question is, how much priority would you guys give to this, because lets be honest, this is a great suggestion, but it will take some time to put into LFS, and there might be others that should have higher priority. A track is just a track, it will live for some time then you get bored of it again. So i think maybe updating things that affect every track, like weather, day-cycle, physics updates, etc, would bring more novelty to the game than a single new track.
Oh and if we kept pushing for the same side, it would be easier for devs to decide what to do next (or change their mind in case they had already).

Your point is true, but I think having only physics or ingame upgrades won't last longer before the racers get used to it.
For instance, day-cycle is a good idea, but Fern Bay by night would still be Fern Bay. Like, people who are used racing on that track would still acheive the same times for they know the pace, and getting used to different visual referentials only takes a matter of few laps. Even if it is a nice experience, and i'm eager to test it, the "new stuff" effect won't last for long.

(I'm sad to tell this, but what made NFS games last longer is that there was huge possibilites for track making...)

The only problem with the Nurburgring is that the straights are way too long. The point of a mountain road pattern is that almost always a corner brings another, which leads to another one, etc...
+1 for downhill. id love to see a touge track to race on, or just a track with corners one after another.
prescott hill would be a nice hillclimb track
+blessed 1 for this idea,
up and downhill tracks will great for racing and drifting.
maybe in s3..
Thanks for your support
Quote :THIS ( http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0b1E9xjJ4 )

That just looks like so much fun.. I just wish that if I wanted I could go out and do that... 3 things stopping me...
Not enough money
Not old enough
Legal races uphill? in leeds?

But yeah I agree with your suggestion
I think the biggest problem with LFS atm is that there is not a SINGLE track that has any amount of narrow road. I realize that the kinds of tracks LFS simulates aren't like that, but if we had one good two-lane width road to race on, I promise you people would go nuts. It adds a much greater sense of speed, and requires much more skill to navigate those kinds of roads. And they're... FUN!

I hate the fact that most of the current tracks have a margin for error larger than anything. What we need is a road where the margin of error is 100 feet below you, if you know what I mean...
Quote from Zen321 :Yeah, Bathurst sounds nice and intense (seen some incar cams of Skaife )
Like this could be the base track, with some RallyX, and uphill course along.

+1

Also something like Targa Tasmania?

Those sorts of roads, just regular street country roads that are closed off and raced on, now that's brilliant!

Would have to be time trials only though, but still, i'd love it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG