The online racing simulator
Sudden or Random drops in FPS
(19 posts, started )
Problem is that while racing, with or without other racers, my FPS will drop from a smooth 40-60 down to about 1-10. I've noticed this happening in the last few days. It happens randomly, at times I can go hours without any problems, or sometimes minutes. AA/AF is off, on both my video card and LFS settings.
#2 - Jambo
Hey, im getting the same problem. I have noticed its when im using my DFP mostly and i cannot figure it out. Im running graphics as low as i can and i still get 100fps then a random drop to about 8fps.... untill i crash and spectate. Please can somebody help us as i would really want to know how to fix this as it ruined my race in a league
#3 - Byku
Are You using notebooks? In mine(notebook) similar thing happens. Simply when graphic or processor heats to much, the system is slowing them down(and that's why I have fps drops). Try to work a little with battery saving options(or something like that ). Well... I resolved that problem by playing on... pc.... If You dont have notebooks... then... sry.. cant help You .
#4 - Jambo
Pc. Nvidia 7600GS. 2GB ram etc. All the above basics. Should run it. Latest wheel drivers. But fps lag when im using dfp
PC also. It's run LFS flawlessly since I've started playing it, only recently has this problem appeared.

ATI All-In-Wonder 9600, 128MB, also latest drivers
512 MB ram
Decent P4 3 GHz processor.
#6 - Dru
check your fans for dust build up.. sounds temp related tbh.
#7 - Woz
yep, sounds like heat to me also
#8 - Jambo
But i run other games EG CSS smoothly. Yet when i use my mouse in lfs, its also smooth. But when i use my dfp i get fps lag. Still a heat issue?
#9 - Jambo
Re-Phrase. I run other games very smooth so i dont think it could be a heat problem. I only get a drop in fps in lfs when im using my Driving force Pro wheel. If i use my mouse it doesnt happen. But my drivers are the latest.
even other tracks? or youre following behind a 100 cars in the track?
Even on my own.
Check if you have anti-virus running, I had the same problem and it turned out to be the Anti-virus running checks every 15 minutes, now I just turn it off when I play LFS.
#13 - Woz
Quote from Jambo :Re-Phrase. I run other games very smooth so i dont think it could be a heat problem. I only get a drop in fps in lfs when im using my Driving force Pro wheel. If i use my mouse it doesnt happen. But my drivers are the latest.

LFS is very CPU intensive compared to overgames where mosst of the work is GFX. So while other games might run fine LFS might not.

Do you have the latest Wingman drivers for your DFP btw. Also if you plug in your DFP and run another game does the game lag?

I have seen another person report FPS drops with a DFP so might be something hardware related. Do you have USB 1 or 2 ports on your machine etc.
Erm. I have usb 2.0 i THINK. its about 3 year old so i dont know.
ASUS K8V AMD Athlon 64+ NVIDIA 7600GS 1GB RAM

although i have noticed a fps decrese in another game aswell now. So im going off the theory of the DFP. I have checked my ram with memtest and its fine...
Quote from Jambo :Erm. I have usb 2.0 i THINK. its about 3 year old so i dont know.
ASUS K8V AMD Athlon 64+ NVIDIA 7600GS 1GB RAM

I have that only got 2gb ram for me the FPS never goes over 50 but allmost never under 30..
got p4 3.0 ghz and know lfs takes mutch on proccesor..
can drive TDU on high
mmmm. i dont know then. Mine is never usually high. buts its unplayable when it bottoms out to 8fps for around 5-10 seconds... i shall try a format in a few week. My only option im guessing
I have had a similar problem, as that which you describe. Running LFS in high priority, seems to have been effective in dealing with it. Suggestion:

Open Notepad and type: start /high lfs.exe
Save this file as LFS.bat, in your LFS main directory (where lfs.exe is)
Create a shortcut to this batch file, and use it as your shortcut to start LFS
ty. i shall try that
For a while I had this issue too, and, although I doubt it was due to the DFP, it certainly seemed to make things worse... I noticed that my hard drive got hit suddenly while the slowdown happened. The way I sorted it out was to move my paging file (virtual memory) off the drive my LFS was installed on and increase it to 2.5GB (2.5x my RAM size) fixed rather than windows choosing whats best...

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG