The online racing simulator
.Psd in cmx viewer?
(15 posts, started )
.Psd in cmx viewer?
A pretty basic Improvement suggestion, adding support for photoshop .psd files in to the cmx viewer (not the full game).

Basicly so we can just go file -> save or ctrl+s in photoshop, instead of file -> save as, select jpg, make sure the name is right etc etc. Would be helpful for the placing of logos and stuff, quicker to see the changes .
#2 - MR_B
That's quite a good suggestion, when i'm making skins I also have this trouble, also if you save your psd's in a seperate folder (i have a folder designated to the team on my desktop) I then have to go through my computer to find the skins folder for the cmx, and save as a jpeg, when i could just save the psd in there and view it from that.

Could be an issue with layers?

Or also specify a folder in CMX viewer where you want it to look for your psd skins?
Why not use Save copy as...

I think every paint program has the option to save a copy of the file in desired format. I'd take a guess that making the CMX viewer to work with psd files would be a lot of hard work as well...
You can just record an action that saves the jpg automatically, and assign that to a shortcut key.
kegetys: how? does photoshop have this option?

Hyperactive: Photoshop does indeed have that option, and thats what I use, ie the whole save as, select jpg find the file/directory etc. Basicly this would save a whole lot of faffing about.

3ds max is able to do read psds, hence where i got the idea from, being able to basicly update your skin rapidly is just really helpful, ie an improvement .

The only real issue i personely can see is you may need to pay adobe a license to be able to do this, and if thats the case then it will cost alot.
#6 - MR_B
then let it be a "3rd party" that distributes it...?
Quote from fragile_dog :kegetys: how?

Help -> Photoshop Help -> Automating Tasks -> Actions
(You should have figured this one out by yourself :P)
Well, I did see scripts, gonna take a look see .

edit: ok, so that was patheticly easy :/ thanks Kegetys!
#9 - wien
A photoshop action is definitely the right solution here. PSD is a huge mofo of a format and to my knowledge it's not documented anywhere publicly. It would probably take Scawen the better part of this year to implement it properly. Even The GIMP doesn't have fully featured PSD support.
The easiest way would be to create a normal windows shortcut (the CMX-viewer folder set as target) in appropriate folders. That's what I do and I hardly never need to do more than few double clicks when I save or open files from different folders.
Quote from Hyperactive :The easiest way would be to create a normal windows shortcut (the CMX-viewer folder set as target) in appropriate folders. That's what I do and I hardly never need to do more than few double clicks when I save or open files from different folders.

Well the plan was so I could just hit ctrl s, ie no dialog box, no double clicking just updates the psd file, and therefor updates the viewer. But now I just have to hit F2 and it does that (ok so it says it with copy after the filename but thats not exactly a problem)

Do what kegetys says, start recording an action, do as you would to save the jpg in the skins folder of the viewer then stop recording, assign to a key then away you go .
The action method Kegetys suggests is the best method for this - no work to be done by the devs (meaning they get to focus on more important tasks) and those of us who are sorting-nazis don't have multiple copies of 50MB+ PSD files taking up space on our HDDs.

Can't believe I didn't think of that sooner, thanks Kegetys.

As a slight aside, if I assign this sort of action to a PSD file (like a base template, Pro-Kit, etc) will it work the same way everytime I save it, including name changes? For instance, I always start with a pro-kit or a modified pro kit (with additional details added to the template, like carbon fiber splitter and mirror stems, door handles, tow hooks, etc) when making a skin. I'll load it up, save-as something different so as not to overright the template, and then begin work on the skin itself. Will the automated action save a jpg file with the changed name, or keep the original name of the file?
It will save it with the changed name, with copy after it for example FBM_Fd copy.jpg
Just set that jpg as the skin in the viewer and set the viewer to auto update, bobs your uncle
Quote from MAGGOT :Will the automated action save a jpg file with the changed name, or keep the original name of the file?

The script will mimic exactly (mostly, there are some limitations, but you shouldn't worry about that) what you did when you first created it (the action script). All you need to worry about, is to record the saving procedure such as defining a path, naming it, change to jpeg format and set a quality and finally stop recording.

The script will from then on overwrite this new Jpeg file with the same name each and every time - when you move on to another car, you need to tell the script that it has to same with a new name. You can do that by doubbleclicking the Save As function that it recorded. A Save As file dialog pops up.. set the path, if nessesary, and correct the name.. done.

Action Script is one of the cooler things about Photoshop - I have all cars in a single PSD, and a single Actions Script saves all cars in 2 versions, different locations and different qualities - 1024 and 2048 res.. thats nice

.Psd in cmx viewer?
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG