The online racing simulator
Spore Replay 2005 Game Dev' Con'... Pure class entertainment
If you've seen it, you've seen it. But if you haven't, then dim the lights, sit back, and settle in for a night of pure class entertainment from Will Wright as he takes us through his new game Spore at the 2005 Game Developers Conference. Electronic story telling doesn't get any better than this folks. This is the reason why we play computer games...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198
#2 - kirmy
looks very interesting, and possibly very entertaining, any other details?
check out the Spore website (Google will give you the link, I can't remember it off hand. Probably something dumb like Spore.com :P). It's a very interesting concept for a game - I quite enjoy the interesting paradox of it being a 'God Game' revolving around evolution. heh heh

Haven't seen the vid yet, I shall check it out.
Very interesting video, and looks such a kick arse concept.

Definately looking forward for the release of this as it will be something I can actually get addicted to.
Ah, old, old video. I thought it was a new one
Quote from MAGGOT :check out the Spore website (Google will give you the link, I can't remember it off hand. Probably something dumb like Spore.com :P). It's a very interesting concept for a game - I quite enjoy the interesting paradox of it being a 'God Game' revolving around evolution. heh heh

Haven't seen the vid yet, I shall check it out.

People say its controversial because its about evolution, however the main feature of the game is that all the content is user created. So the game is more about creationism than evolution, but I guess its a mix of both. It should be the biggest game since The Sims for the family market, everyone will be playing this game.

On the Spore fansite totalspore they have been doing drawings of the creatures they want to create, I am registered under the name Novae there and I have made these little photoshop drawings of what I want to create. (I'm aware of the typo's in the info parts)
Attached images
Trunky info.jpg
Zeelee INFOsmall.jpg
Fluffy nice s.jpg
Fluffy nasty s.jpg
I think that 1stly, very much like the sims, Spore won't be really a game and thus bore me qui9te soonish and 2ndly, that, thanks to user created content, there will be hundreds of different shades and sizes of walking penises. YAY
Quote from ColeusRattus :I think that 1stly, very much like the sims, Spore won't be really a game and thus bore me qui9te soonish and 2ndly, that, thanks to user created content, there will be hundreds of different shades and sizes of walking penises. YAY

The penismonster problem is being addressed on the Spore fansites, some say they will make penismonster armies, others say they will crush then block content from users who make them. Spore has filters so you can choose what content you want to use, so you can just use your friends content or your own, or you can pick from a selection of creatures you find.
one word reaction : wow
Ah, Spore. Been waiting that game to come out for years, the concept just seems brilliant. I guess it should be out Q4 this year, but it feels a bit like LFS with the development pace, taking forever to finish that is. It should be pure diamond in the end though.
A german computer game magazine recently reviewed Spore and they said it takes only 7 hours tops to get from DNA-state to space... Maxis says there's a final goal they won't reveal just yet, but it seems you're through in the nowadays usual 10 hours...
#12 - wien
I think this is one of those games that are what you make them though. It's possible to sprint through Crysis in a few hours too, but it's a lot more fun if you take your time, explore and have fun with it. I expect Spore will be somewhat similar in that regard. "Leveling" isn't really the point, it's about having fun with the editors and exploring once you get into space.

But then, I haven't played it.
sadly the games look took a huge turn to the worse between that video and now
Quote from ColeusRattus :I think that 1stly, very much like the sims, Spore won't be really a game and thus bore me qui9te soonish and 2ndly, that, thanks to user created content, there will be hundreds of different shades and sizes of walking penises. YAY

There is a system in place to prevent this type of thing. There was recently an article in a magazine which touched on the subject (a little more eloquently than you put it, too :P har har)

Quote from Blackout :Ah, Spore. Been waiting that game to come out for years, the concept just seems brilliant. I guess it should be out Q4 this year, but it feels a bit like LFS with the development pace, taking forever to finish that is. It should be pure diamond in the end though.

Official release date was announced about a month or two back; September 7th 2008. It has/is taken ages, but it should be worth it.

Quote from bbman :A german computer game magazine recently reviewed Spore and they said it takes only 7 hours tops to get from DNA-state to space... Maxis says there's a final goal they won't reveal just yet, but it seems you're through in the nowadays usual 10 hours...

That magazine obviously had some wrong information, or you read it wrong, because there is no final goal. Just like with the Sims and SimCity franchises, there is no 'end.' You can progress through all the stages and all told will only spend a few hours, however, the game is not linear like that. You can, at any time, jump to any stage and stay as long as you want in that stage, you are not forced into any stage at all; this is what has been published in virtually every press report I've read in the last couple months and confirmed by Maxis themselves.
Quote from MAGGOT :That magazine obviously had some wrong information, or you read it wrong, because there is no final goal. Just like with the Sims and SimCity franchises, there is no 'end.' You can progress through all the stages and all told will only spend a few hours, however, the game is not linear like that. You can, at any time, jump to any stage and stay as long as you want in that stage, you are not forced into any stage at all; this is what has been published in virtually every press report I've read in the last couple months and confirmed by Maxis themselves.

I think I can read and understand my own mother tongue quite well, thank you... Read the last three sentences for yourself (if you know german, that is):
http://www.gamestar.de/preview ... bau/1943703/spore_p5.html

Translated: The ultimative mission in Spore will take place in space. "There is a final goal", Lucy Bradshaw (Executive Producer with Spore) oracles. What that is, she doesn't want to reveal just yet.

Feel free to have this confirmed by anyone german-speaking...
Ok, so, like I said, their info is wrong. Will Wright himself has said otherwise during press shows, it has been heard from his mouth, and has been reported in several articles.
#18 - wien
Quote from MAGGOT :Ok, so, like I said, their info is wrong. Will Wright himself has said otherwise during press shows, it has been heard from his mouth, and has been reported in several articles.

That was then, this is now. Why would the Executive Producer of Spore lie about something like that in an interview? EDIT: This isn't first I've heard about this secret ultimate goal BTW. I just can't remember where I read/saw it the first time.
It wouldn't suprise me if they had side missions, but this won't be a story based game. The fun part will be creating the content and exploring the universe.
Quote :Ah, old, old video. I thought it was a new one

I just wanted to post it again as I reckon it's one of the most brilliant game videos ever, a real classic.

Most everyone's heard of Spore by now, but that initial video was shocking, amazing, unbelievably cool. I remember sitting there watching it with a friend, and we kept throwing these glances to each other, like 'is this for real???' It was a real defining gaming moment for me.
Quote from wien :That was then, this is now. Why would the Executive Producer of Spore lie about something like that in an interview? EDIT: This isn't first I've heard about this secret ultimate goal BTW. I just can't remember where I read/saw it the first time.

The articles I've read stating that there is not end goal have been published within the last few months.
#23 - JJ72
so its not out yet?
Quote from Shotglass :sadly the games look took a huge turn to the worse between that video and now

I remember something like that too, but can't remember exactly how?

Quote from MAGGOT :
Official release date was announced about a month or two back; September 7th 2008. It has/is taken ages, but it should be worth it.

Cool. Must have missed the official release date being without internets during the weeks playing war games the last few months.
Quote from Blackout :I remember something like that too, but can't remember exactly how?

it turned from something that looked like nature into something made to look cute in a horribly ugly way

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG