The online racing simulator
Disc Brake
(17 posts, started )
Disc Brake
ive made a disc brake and unlike S1 where its round this 1 is square anyone know how to solve it?

heres my disc brake i made ( Its uploaded as jpg but its saved as DDS aswell )

H20
Attached images
brake.jpg
Saves as a .jpg for me. Upload the direct DDS.
#3 - herki
#4 - ajp71
You need to create an Alpha layer like the original .dds file had, in Photoshop go to the channels tab and create a channel called Alpha 1, this is just like painting a layer mask.
Attached images
disc.jpg
#5 - ajp71
I've added the alpha channelto the texture (the reason for the black bits and not completely round edge was because it was a bit of a quick bodge job TBH) I'd have thought this size of texture is too big for no actual visual gain half the size would have done fine, anyway have fun
Attached images
disc.jpg
Attached files
DiscATEST.zip - 257.1 KB - 480 views
now all we neeed is to make them glow

btw probably a silly question .... how u go about adding custom textures to the car ? i mean i know all these dds files but how can u actually add a brake disc when there assuming wasnt one in the first place??

hmm

ahh lol.. ok there are disc brakes on the cars already... damn never noticed them!! in that case u just updated the dds texture....

doh!!!
#7 - ajp71
Yep lol this is just an update, I'm not using it myself as it's just another high-res texture, couldn't notice any real improvement with this texture that's 4 times the size of the original.
ive just put this together in 5 mins... this is what a disc brake should look like IMO....

it should be visible enough but it should be blured as it is spinning.. this is probably the closes we will ever get to a proper disc brake in lfs :P

mad
Attached images
discs.jpg
#9 - bbman
Actually, the brake discs would be spinning so fast, that there would be no lines nor holes... They would more likely just disappear...
well yes.. it would be too quick to see but then ur back to the same old dull looking brake disc....
Yeah, I know... So we have the choice between dull, spinning looking discs or beautiful but always blocked discs... Don't know what to take...
well i have just noticed something... i own a bicycle which has a front brake disk instead of those silly pads....and i noticed that there are dirt marks on the disc from the wear of the block.. and there are lines similar to the ones i painted on the brakes in lfs. I know probably for a car it will be different probably as the force generated by the brakes will probably wipe the disc super clean so its always shiny but i suppose you can think of it as maybe brake dust lol...!

just found this picture and u can see that there are some marks within the friction area of the disc... thats kinda what i tried to re create....

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/pics/rotor1.jpg

warning.. it is a large picture!!!

mad
Ok, its just that the lines on your .dds really look painted on that disc... They stand out too much and they are all the same distance to each other... Lines from wear would be more randomly... Also, it would be good to end where the caliper ends, right now you have a line in there...

Just some comments...
madman - you normally get those lines id the pads are not seated correctly or the discs were warped. .it shoul dalways leave your disk super shiney
Actually, with groved discs you do, eventually, tend to get little grooves in the whole disc - this is caused by the fact that there is less material where the grooves are (because of the grooves, duh), and so less material to 'absorb' the wear so to speak.

But race car discs would almost certainly be changed before then...
i thought i'd give this a try with a higher-res brake texture (256x256)...
anyways, here's the file and a test shot (no ingame test, i'm at work so its only the cmx viewer)
Attached images
brake texture.jpg
Attached files
DiscATEST.dds - 85.5 KB - 531 views
Would it be cool someone made a mod when you brake the disc went orange/red from the heat. :-)

Disc Brake
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG