The online racing simulator
A guide to bumping old topics
(15 posts, started )
So, you're new to a internet forum. You do a search for an awesome skin. It's in a separate topic than the proper topics. You don't pay attention to when the topic / last post was made. And, you reply.

Chances are, you're gonna get flamed to hell, or you're gonna get praise. Praise, if it is deemed truly awesome, and the burning bananas if it is crap.

So, if you want to make a bump, do these things.
  • Look at the time of the last post. If it's ancient, read on.
  • Make sure that the topic is a good one. If it isn't, read on.
  • Is it your thread? If it is, just "re-ask" for it, but re-worded.
  • If it isn't your thread, make the post on-topic, and important.
  • If you're bumping a topic, make sure that your grammer is spot-on.
Enjoy your time here, and get used to forums!

I was bored, and I wanted to make a guide - I didn't know what, I just did. There was a huge bump on a different forum I go to frequently, and the person got a huge warn. And the thread was so ancient, even if the person followed the last two on my list, still warned. I was a bit in sympathy, so I decided to do this.
nice guide
This might come in handy (Assuming bumpers would read this...).
Dood, i haet ur gramer!1

Cool little guide, might be useful to newbs, or people who just don't pay too much attention to thread dates.
~Bryan~
Racer hero votes for sticky, Hit 1. [1/2]
BUMP.

Mista Tea votes for sticky, Hit 1. [2/3]
BlackBird accidentally hit 2. [1/3]

Its not a bad idea, however I would rather someone bump a year old thread because they used the search functionality and read through it... I think a tutorial on that feature and purpose would be better, so if you feel like writing that! Not really, even if you explicitly tell/show someone how to use the search feature, fact of the matter is they are to lazy to actually use it.
There's now a great warning before creating a new thread that suggests other similar topics to avoid duplicate threads. Alot of bumps happen because the person is new to forums, they are lazy or don't care. Perhaps a warning that you're bumping a 2 month old thread might help the newbs and lazy people. Ah well.

I don't really care if someone bumps an old thread and I don't know why people comment about big bumps. w/e floats your boat.
Quote from JasonJ :There's now a great warning before creating a new thread that suggests other similar topics to avoid duplicate threads. Alot of bumps happen because the person is new to forums, they are lazy or don't care. Perhaps a warning that you're bumping a 2 month old thread might help the newbs and lazy people. Ah well.

I don't really care if someone bumps an old thread and I don't know why people comment about big bumps. w/e floats your boat.

Great idea! +1
#11 - wien
Why are bumps bad again? Isn't it better to bump a related thread than make a new one? As long as you actually add value to the bumped thread that is.
Quote from wien :Why are bumps bad again? Isn't it better to bump a related thread than make a new one? As long as you actually add value to the bumped thread that is.

I bolded the reason... Bumping is much better than making a whole new thread. However, if you don't add anything new to the thread, no point to bump (for example) year old thread.
#13 - wien
I'd say that's more of a general rule of posting though. If you're not adding value by posting, please STFU.
Quote from wien :I'd say that's more of a general rule of posting though. If you're not adding value by posting, please STFU.

It is the basic principles of internet communication, just like "TITS or GTFO".
Quote from Dalek0220 :
  • Is it your thread? If it is, just "re-ask" for it, but re-worded.

I'd suggest against this. If your going to create a new thread it's better to bump an old topic, it keeps the forum cleaner and easier to search (hence why we even have an automatic new thread search for this), however, people should think hard before they make a new thread/bump an old one, is it necessary?

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG