The online racing simulator
ButtKicker Review
(12 posts, started )
ButtKicker Review
Well I bought the ButtKicker back in January and wrote a review then and another one just today. I had posted them on my team forums but I decided to move them here since some people might be interested in it. If you don't know what it is, basically think of a sub-woofer without quite as much noise, so it creates vibrations based off sound. You can attach it to your chair and your butt gets kicked, sorry I had to.

Review 1:

Quote :
For those that didn't know I decided to buy the Butt Kicker after seeing the review on the SimRacingTonight, episode 4... I would like to fill you in with my personal preference, although keep in mind I have only used it in a few cars, on a few tracks... I have only had it for a night so this review is based on "First Impression" which can be totally wrong if I have something wrong in the setup... However, I am going to write about these first thoughts. First for those that don't know what the Butt Kicker is, you can think of a force feedback system for your chair / rig or setup... It works off the sound frequencies though, so its not like you would truly expect from a real life stand point however:

Opening the box was my first hands on experience with the Butt Kicker, and it seemed very straight forward to connect, until I looked at the directions... Those were a bit confusing in spots, and I am sure you don't need to read, but base it off the picture, the direction wording continuely confused me. It took about 30-40 minutes to setup and get working, however, one cable that claims to be a "one way" fitting, will work either way... (Butt Kicker won't work if you get this wrong).

After finally getting it to work I hopped in the LX6 and drove some laps, and I would give it a 7 to an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. (10 being good). If vibrates the chair through the RPM range and as the car gets faster it starts vibrating more, I would assume due to the wind sounds (as it is based on sounds after all (the bass in the sounds if your wondering). Now if doesn't vibrate when people hit you, or you hit a wall, but I knew it wasn't going to and as long as you accept this fact it should be all set. Now just this morning browsing the forum I found Lizards videos, thanks to Alpine reposting there, and since I liked that song in the first one I went to play it. I had already been racing earlier so the Butt Kicker was on and when the music started, WOW... I haven't yet experienced the thing in full on LFS... I am messing with some more dials now to see if I can experience that feel in game. I can say the base in the song really made the chair rumble and it was nice. To compare the vibrations, it is just like having a sub-woofer in your car without the noise...

Would I recommend this to people, sure. But I wouldn't recommend it for the full price of $150. Nor would I recommend it to people who don't have much income as there are more essential things to your setup to get full immersion before you get the Butt Kicker. I didn't pay full price, as the company has a promo deal where if you type in DMP it will be $50, so at that price, go ahead and buy it if you feel you have $50 to spare on something slightly useful. I don't know how long this promo is going to last. So currently first impression isn't bad, but its not as good as I was hoping... Now, I did have my hopes higher then I knew it would perform, so its about what I knew it would be to be honest there... I just had the hopes it would "rumble" for the cars a little better. A tiny con against it, is that it rumbles when your not in your own car as well, so if you were specing, or someone drove by you, the sound could make it vibrate a bit... This was a known fact when I got it as you really need to think- its based of sound... So the windows "ding" might set it off a little bit.

Review 2:

Quote :
Follow up review for the Butt Kicker -

After using the product for a month or two, however long its been, I have learned a few things. Probably the largest annoyance with the product is dialing in the settings. It seems for me that each time I get in a different car I need to readjust the amp slightly to get the best performance from the Butt Kicker. This is due mainly to the cars in LFS having different tones, and sounds. Its quite possible to find a decent setting and leave it there for all cars, but then some will vibrate a lot more then others. This is a pain since I tend to change cars quite often.

The other annoyance, which is just about as big, is that Ventrilo and TeamSpeak conversations will make the unit go crazy. Again this is obvious since it works based off the sound, however this severely lowers how important I think the Butt Kicker could be. If there was a way, which there probably is, to filter out ONLY in game engine sounds, then I would rate it much higher as a need for your Sim-Racing setup. To get around this problem, I run Ventrilo on both my desktop and my laptop so that I can still push-to-talk using my wheel, and I can listen to the conversation through seperate channels. This works well, and is better for gaming because you can easily change the volume of the conversations without effecting the game volume.

My opinion is not all bad however. I have found it works like a charm when you get it setup right for the car you are racing in. Every other Sunday when I am in the GTTC and GFC events I will dial in the settings for the cars as I will be driving them for long periods of time. It does provide a more realistic feel to driving and I think it does help with immersion. Since I am still sitting in an office chair, these vibrations can trick your mind into thinking your in a cockpit or the actual drivers seat of the car. I can only imagine how much it would add to an actual racing setup.

Also it is great for listening to music to really feel the bass without turning the sub-woofer to volume 11/10. That being said I don't feel its as quiet as they try to advertise, and I don't have it set very high when neighboring rooms would be trying to sleep. But even at lower settings it still gives most of the feedback. I stand by my first impression though. If you have $50 laying around and don't know what to buy, this would be worth it although I do not think it is the most important item for your setup. Coming soon I will write my "First Impression" review on the TrackIR product from NaturalPoint as it should be arriving very soon.

Good review. I'll add my thoughts in here as well (note I have only used this thing for a few days!).

Design:
The ButtKicker Gamer itself is a pretty cool looking device. The gamer unit is designed to clamp to the center post of your office chair, but it could clamp to anything with a metal tube. It’s fairly compact and does not extrude past the edge of the chair. The clamping mechanism was slightly cumbersome to use but I had no issues with the ButtKicker coming loose.

The amplifier for the ButtKicker is massive (fig1_ampsize.jpg). Make sure you have enough room to store this somewhere (as you can see I have absolutely no room on my messy desk). You’ll want to put it somewhere where you have easy access to the dials from your seat. There’s plenty of adjustments on the front panel (fig2_ampfront.jpg) of the amp. Here are the descriptions of the leds/knobs from the instruction manual:

·POWER LED – This LED indicates the amplifier is switched on and is plugged in a power outlet
·LOW FILTER CUTTOFF (yes they misspelled that) – This switch toggles the 25 Hz low cut filter. The “in” position enables the filter; the “out” position disables the filter.
·HIGH CUTOFF FREQUENCY KNOB – This knob sets the variable high cutoff frequency.
·HIGH CUTOFF ON/OFF – This switch toggles the variable high cutoff frequency knob. The “in” position enables the frequency knob; the “out” position disables the frequency knob.
·CLIP LED – This LED is illuminated when the amplifier goes into clipping. Ideally, this should not come on, or should dimly blink.
·SIGNAL LED – This LED is illuminated when the amplifier is sending amplified audio signal to the ButtKicker Gamer.
·VOLUME – This knob increases and decreases the output of the amplifier and consequently, the intensity of the ButtKicker Gamer.

Setup:
Amp setup:
The setup took longer then expected. The reason for this is the instructions were not as clear as they could be and they supply twice the necessary amount of cables (since connecting to a console requires a different set of cables). For example, they package two “Y splitters” in the box. I happened to drop the one I needed on the floor during the install, and assumed they gave me the wrong type of splitter. Perhaps one solution is packaging the cables into separate plastic bags - one labeled “PC Cables” and another labeled “Console Cables”. Anyway, looking at the setup for a 5.1 system (fig3_connections.jpg) you can see it’s not too difficult. Basically, you just split the audio output from the sound card so that it goes to both the subwoofer (or speakers in a 2 channel setup) and the amplifier.

Here’s what I didn’t like about the amplifier setup:
  • A black RCA cable is just left dangling which made me question whether I hooked it up correctly.
  • Pushing the power cable into the back of the amplifier pushed in the whole rear panel.
  • The quick connect connection on the amplifier is color coded but the plug is just labeled +/-. This isn’t a big deal but it’s hard to see the + and - on the plug.
  • It would be nice if the group loop isolator was just built into the case. It’s kind of a heavy cylinder and since I keep the amp on the edge of the desk it keeps falling off the desk tugging on the cables.
Buttkicker/chair setup:
Hooking the ButtKicker up to my office chair was pretty straightforward (fig4_chair.jpg).

1)Raise the chair a bit
2)Push the plastic sleeve covering the chair’s center post all the way down
3)Turn the red clamp dial to open the clamp, close the clamp around the center post, and tighten the dial.

You can use the supplied Velcro straps to keep the cables neat on the chair leg. The strain relief is used to keep excess slack so if the chair is turned rapidly you don’t yank on the ButtKicker cable.

One thing that was annoying was the quick connect cable (fig5_quickconnect_chair.jpg). There’s nothing quick about it. This cable coming out of the ButtKicker is fairly short and ends at the chair’s leg. The quick connect cable is long and connects directly to the amp. The problem is the cable goes in only one way and it’s pretty hard to see which way is the “correct” way. One prong is only slightly larger than the other.

Computer Setup:
There’s no installation CD. Once connected, the unit immediately worked for movies with deep bass. However, since LFS does not exactly have any deep bass, I needed to enable “Bass Redirection” in one of my sound card’s utility programs (I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Zs).

First Impressions:
This ButtKicker rumbles the **** out of the plastic height/tilt knobs on my office chair!!!11! It’s something I didn’t even think about before buying it. My chair is especially bad because I have 3 plastic levers (with loose plastic sleeves) and another knob on the bottom. The FAQ on the instruction manual says to jam foam under the levers or hang bean bags from them.

My most comfortable seating position had the chair at its lowest height setting. Unfortunately, to install the ButtKicker, I had to raise the seat about 2 inches. While this may not seem like much, I had to move closer to the pedals and I still feel awkward when driving (I keep wanting to lower my seat but I can’t!).

Does it work?
I was hoping I could tune it so that when I’m at idle there’s a slight vibration, when I rev the engine there’s a rougher vibration, and when I take off there’s a constant but much higher vibration than when idle.

Unfortunately, in Live For Speed the wind generates the most bass. The engine doesn’t appear to generate any bass. I tested the unit mainly with the FBM but I also tried out the LX6 and RAC and the results appeared to be the same. Thus, the vibration of the ButtKicker is directly related to the speed you’re traveling at and the amount of wind. I found with the volume up any higher than 2% it vibrated too much for my liking. It not only vibrates too much it also makes a good amount of noise even when I attempted to eliminate the rattles from my chair’s plastic levers. If you watch the sim racing tonight episode, when Sean turns the amp on it sounds exactly like that. IMHO, the vibration device should be perfectly silent.

So… I turned the volume all the way down to generate nice smooth vibrations (the kind I wanted when the car was idle). This seemed be a bit more realistic (as far as how much vibration I felt in my butt). The problem is, since the vibration is based on wind, when you’re not moving there’s zero vibration. Whenever you slow down for lower speed turns (less than ~90mph) the vibration just cuts out abruptly giving the feeling that you stalled your car or the engine died. Perhaps tuning the bass settings and adjusting the frequency knobs would fix it. I gave up after an hour or two. None of the knobs (except volume) appeared to do anything for me. To be honest, I think I would be just as happy with a vibrator completely independent of my PC – one that was simply on/off and had an adjustment for intensity. Maybe such a simple vibrator combined with the ButtKicker would be ideal for LFS. You can still get vibration at idle and slow turns with the standalone while the ButtKicker adds more vibration as the speeds pick up.

Conclusion:
I’m satisfied since I only spent $50 (using the coupon code found in the latest Sim Racing Tonight video - normal price is ~$150). I think I’ll enjoy it much more when I have a proper cockpit. Right now I just have too many cables, not enough power outlets and the ButtKicker just adds unneeded complexity to my desk setup.
Attached images
fig1_ampsize.jpg
fig2_ampfront.jpg
fig3_connections.jpg
fig4_chair.jpg
fig5_quickconnect_chair.jpg
Wow, reading through your review thats like identical for the most part of how I felt, including during setup which I obviously didn't write about. The chair was another good point although I have sense gotten used to the higher sitting position. The wind does create most of the bass, however I have with the right tuning of the amp got the cars to behave fairly well. It just takes time to get it right, and its something you need to change for each car. Hope both of our reviews help those looking into getting the Butt Kicker.
Received mine and had no problems setting it up. However the power amplifier is making a lot of noise (fans inside spinning at max revolution). Anyone else have the same problem??
It was a tad noisy compared to my CPU fans, but not terrible...
i installed my buttkicker and its working with all games except lfs
what do i need to do to make it work?
thanks
#8 - Omar1
Quote from pedronery :i installed my buttkicker and its working with all games except lfs
what do i need to do to make it work?
thanks

did you have to bump a 3 year old thread? Try google or search here on the forums...
Quote from Omar1 :did you have to bump a 3 year old thread? Try google or search here on the forums...

when u search "buttkicker" this thread comes up.

what search was maked for ..

better post one thread and not make 2
Quote from Omar1 :did you have to bump a 3 year old thread? Try google or search here on the forums...

So Omar you genius, the guy bumps an old thread and gets slagged off by you, yet if he makes a new one, you would slag him off for not using the search.... Class

Bumping an ancient thread and replying to someone in a discussion that hasn't been going on for years = stupid.

Bumping an existing thread while contributing to it, instead of making a new thread of the same subject = smart.

Learn the difference.
okay

ButtKicker Review
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG