The online racing simulator
LFS " could not locate suitable screen mode" [solved]
I'm running a 3200 xp amd pro .. with windows xp.

Recently i had to reformat my c drive because there was a very icky virus.... so i had to re-download lfs s2.

I go to the exe file... to load it up and i get this message:
"LFS could not detect any suitable screen modes"

Now: I have a lg flatron running 1024/768 with 32 bit colours... and a 256 radeon pro graphics card... that hasn't been touched (and was working fine before the reformatting) ....

so wtf is it on about... " suitable screen modes" .... any ideas?
Did you reinstall the graphics/monitor drivers properly? And more important, DirectX 9.0c?

LFS does nothing more than ask DirectX which screenmodes are available. If it doesn't report anything back, well, LFS can't do anything about it.
Here try this:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=38183#post38183

It was taken from an older thread on a similar subject (this was a monitor refresh rate issue iirc). Basically you might just want to try configuring the config file to some low settings so you could at least see if you can get into the game.

However, this info might not be in the config file because you might not be able to start up the game fully

Might want to read the thread, and where it goes, it might help (about halfway down there is some helpful info) http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=2957

Try and do the steps in that thread and post back here (like attaching the dxdiag file and stuff)
Problem Solved... we're back racing
Just so we know, what was the problem? Or what did you do to fix it?

It is just to help with our options incase someone else comes along with a similar issue. If it is just some simple mistake, don't be embarassed, it is helpful for all of us to know
Reinstalled directx 9

AND the graphics card drivers.... reset the pc... and it worked from there.
i tryed everything but still no progress cant get the game workin on my laptop (PIII) it fits min. req. I think the problem is whit video driver (the latest is from 2001 jan. )
Quote :LFS : 0.5Q
timer resolution 1 ms
read config
get command line
preinit d3d
number of adapters : 1
adapter 0 : no valid modes
LFS : Could not detect any suitable screen modes

#8 - ORION
Quote from lohholen :laptop (PIII) it fits min. req.

Are you really sure that a GFX card in a laptop with a P3 is DX8 compatible?
please post more details - without details we can't help you at all.
Quote from ORION :Are you really sure that a GFX card in a laptop with a P3 is DX8 compatible?
please post more details - without details we can't help you at all.

dunno where can i check that? but its realy old gfx card..
right-click on the desktop -> properties -> settings (last tab) -> advanced (bottom right)

one of the tabs should contain the name of the gfx card ("GeForce 6800GT" for me)
Quote from ORION :right-click on the desktop -> properties -> settings (last tab) -> advanced (bottom right)

one of the tabs should contain the name of the gfx card ("GeForce 6800GT" for me)

well.. i knew that.. but how can you tell does it suport dx8 or not.. if its not some geforce or some other known gfx card. (ps its adapter tab and.. u can see the gfx card name just by clicking settings tab.. it will be above the res. like... lg tft flatronic on geforce 440mx)
but there prolly wasent even dx when this pc was built
anyways "Silicon motion LynxEM"
Well, I expected some kind of Intel integrated stuff...
So (as I have never heard this name of GFX card), you should try the following to be really sure:

Go to start -> execute -> type dxdiag -> Enter -> you might have to wait a bit now...
Then click the tab "Display" click "test Direct3D"

You should see 3 tests now - the first tests DX7, then 8 and 9.

Now you can see which D3D version works.
Quote from ORION :Well, I expected some kind of Intel integrated stuff...
So (as I have never heard this name of GFX card), you should try the following to be really sure:

Go to start -> execute -> type dxdiag -> Enter -> you might have to wait a bit now...
Then click the tab "Display" click "test Direct3D"

You should see 3 tests now - the first tests DX7, then 8 and 9.

Now you can see which D3D version works.

ty... "direct3D functionality not available" cant even click the "test direct 3d"
Uh... can you play any games at all?
Quote from ORION :Uh... can you play any games at all?

well i think if i wud install older windows.. then ill coud dl driver update(since there is no xp version) and have 3d suport thingy... but i can play old games atm like quake2
edit: oh well.. i mostly use my laptop to study anyways.. i can still play lfs on my pc :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG