The online racing simulator
LFS and Mac Quistions
(23 posts, started )
LFS and Mac Quistions
Hi all i'm thinking about getting a MacBook Pro laptop but can i still run LFS on it? If you can't and i have to buy Windows does LFS run on Windows Vista? I think thats all for know
It won't run natively on Mac OSX. You may beable to run it under DarWINE, which is a compatibility layer to allow you to run LFS under OSX. I dont know of anyone whos tried it, however.

Yes LFS runs under Vista.
Yes you can.

You have to install bootcamp on your Mac, than you can install windows.
LFS will be slower in bootcamp than nativly on windows.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :LFS will be slower in bootcamp than nativly on windows.

Bootcamp is native windows. It's just a method of installing Windows on apple hardware.
it is? I only have a power PC.
To my knowledge, you could install the bootcamp assistant on PPC, but not install Windows, since it's running a different architecture.

Are you sure that's what you're on about?
i think so but thx all for the Help when i do buy the Mac (if i do) its going to bethe best Mac Book Pro out there i'm going to try and get the best one just so i can play any game i want!
The Macbook Pro should just breeze through LFS (My iMac does, and it's identical to the older Macbook Pro's internally) and realistically, should breeze through most games you can throw at it.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The Macbook Pro should just breeze through LFS (My iMac does, and it's identical to the older Macbook Pro's internally) and realistically, should breeze through most games you can throw at it.

did you have to buy and install Windows Vista to be able to play LFS still?
#11 - Jakg
Yup.
It runs on Mac
Why does they made something which makes world more stranger and difficult? Same situation with Linux... There is 3 OS's but they alll won't run on each other's software/games. Why does we need that?

Personally i like Mac's.
Quote from PioneerLv :There is 3 OS's

There are more than 3 OS'
:dunce:
Amazing. The most logical conversation I've read in a while, was the least verbose but the most graphical.

The planet finally makes sense.
Logic? Bugger. We can't have that.

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
Thx all for your help and thx for those pics of you running LFS on the mac know i know i can run LFS on a Mac if i do everything correct
Sounds like you've got the info you need, but just to recap.

Yes you can run Windows on any Intel powered Mac (all new ones are). If you haven't bought it yet, you'll be fine. All the new ones come with MacOS 10.5 (Leopard). What you do is operate a utility program (Bootcamp) which sets the hard drive up with a second partition onto which you install windows (XP Pro recommended, rather than Vista). You can then start it up as either a Mac or a Windows machine. You have to have a legitimate copy of Windows, single installer disc, service pack 2. I've tried it on a MacBook Pro and it's a breeze (actually works better than any PC I've ever tried!!). It even creates Windows drivers for all the Mac hardware, graphics cards etc. You then just install LFS and treat it as a Windows machine. You have to restart to turn it back into a Mac, and vise versa. I get frame rates of over 100 easily. It's obviously cheaper with Bootcamp, as the software is bundled - you just have to buy Windows. It all depends whether you mind having to reboot to switch between the two. Have fun!

Here's a link http://www.macrumors.com/2007/ ... els-vs-vmware-benchmarks/
Quote from Hammerdown :Sounds like you've got the info you need, but just to recap.

Yes you can run Windows on any Intel powered Mac (all new ones are). If you haven't bought it yet, you'll be fine. All the new ones come with MacOS 10.5 (Leopard). What you do is operate a utility program (Bootcamp) which sets the hard drive up with a second partition onto which you install windows (XP Pro recommended, rather than Vista). You can then start it up as either a Mac or a Windows machine. You have to have a legitimate copy of Windows, single installer disc, service pack 2. I've tried it on a MacBook Pro and it's a breeze (actually works better than any PC I've ever tried!!). It even creates Windows drivers for all the Mac hardware, graphics cards etc. You then just install LFS and treat it as a Windows machine. You have to restart to turn it back into a Mac, and vise versa. I get frame rates of over 100 easily. It's obviously cheaper with Bootcamp, as the software is bundled - you just have to buy Windows. It all depends whether you mind having to reboot to switch between the two. Have fun!

WOW man thx for all this recap know i just need to save up all the money then i can buy everything i need!
Quote from Hammerdown :Sounds like you've got the info you need, but just to recap.

Interesting! I wondered how you would sort out the driver situation with a mac! Does bootcamp update the drivers for xp?
Leopard and Snow Leopard have Drivers on the DVD's that automatically install if you put in the Leopard/Snow Leopard DVD after installing XP/Vista/Windows 7.

Also, occassionally Apple Software Update will update them if Apple puts out an update, however I would recommend manually updating just the GPU drivers.

LFS and Mac Quistions
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG