The online racing simulator
Review Rino Seat
(9 posts, started )
#1 - Cawwa
Review Rino Seat
When searching in the forum I saw there was a discussion about the Rino Seat where it didn't belong imo. Therefor I start a new thread about my review about it since I bought it.
There have been a very strange discussion about the seat, it seem to have stirred up a lot of feelings. This is a seat which have a good price and is easy to move/keep stored on small area AND is very comfortable when driving.

If the moderators find this is not the place for the review pls move it where it belong.

I also posted this review in the RSC forum: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3695615

Here it goes ...

I have tested the seat now for several races around 1,5 hour with the peak at Aston GP 24h in the Live for speed simulator where our Team XFR drove in the GT2 class, where we did 2,5 hours stints.
Halfway we had a podium place, but with two major mistakes we dropped down to 7th ... gahh ...
I had a simple armchair before so this seat was a huge improvement in sitting position. From hell to paradise! ...

Sum
Over all I find the seat very comfortable once I got used to the more laying-relaxing way of sitting. A simple armchair was what I used before. The legs didn't feel like two logs after a 2,5 hour stint. It's a matter of fact I felt very good and was able to do longer stints, only my lack of concentration stopped me.
Also the fixed place for the pedals felt so damned comftable, no fishing with the toes to get the pedals closer ...
The quality of the work is very good, high demands from the constructor means perfect fit and professional look.
I use the Reno Seat when I race and my old armchair when not racing. It's to uncomfortable to sit in the racing seat for a chat, typing for the work or post in forums. It's so easy just to swap places! I don't even have to unplug the wheel.
It's easy to have a contact with Renato via email, the questions I had was quickly answered and he's very sensitive to suggestions.

If you find this reading enough you can stop reading now. Below is a more detailed version, including the shipping-montage-story. In the end it will be a pro - con list.

Shipping
I made the payment in bank via internet at Tuesday December 18th 6.50 UTC. The invoice was written out Thursday December 20th and the Rino Seat G25 Edition itself was send to me from Croatia at Monday December 31st (New years eve!!) I got it out from the Post office at Monday January 7th.
I know there is a lot of red days where people don't work here in Sweden as well as in Croatia with connected holidays. It took 10 workdays to get the seat from paying day, three days of bank transferring and seven days delivering days. I really appreciate the effort to post the package at the new years eve, that would never happen in Sweden for sure!

Montage
It was pretty easy to set it all up, except for the brain storm to get the foot coverage in the right direction. I put it the way I thought was right but changed my mind and did it the other way around. Of course I should have sticked to my original plan, it was the better way. I had the hand in a plaster bandage at the time so I never changed it.
I would prefer a description though which have made it even easier, coming from a born and raised IKEA fan ...

Mounting the wheel
This was the easiest part of all except the gear shifter. It took me some time to figure out how to get the extra, not needed, mounting device in the middle away. Logitech really should have a description for this (maybe there is but I couldn't find it)

Adjustments
The pedals was very easy to mount and adjust. I just sat myself down and hold the pipe with the mounted pedals on it, put it into the nearest holes and screwed the rubber wing nut. It was perfect on the first try.
The back support was almost as easy. I choose the middle solution and that suited me perfect.
Next to adjust was the wheel. Here you don't have endless possibilities with length-hight from the body. I chose to press the wheel as low as possible for not touch the legs. That was the only way to get the wheel as near me as possible.

Comfort when driving
Excellent comfort, I'm so pleased to actually feel the legs after a 2,5 hour stint. The lower body position,or the more laying style of driving with the legs more strait forward made the trick. I could easily do longer stints, the comfortableness was never a question. It felt very practical to reach the buttons at the shifter. After the stints I could feel I was a little sweaty at my back and thighs.
The whole body get very good support from the seat, back, shoulder, neck, and head. Sitting this low I got my eyes a little below the middle of the monitor, to me it felt very good. I don't desire any extra table for the monitor.
To me, used to an ordinary arm chair, it didn't felt that good for the arms. I need something to rest my arms on when capable to do so. Therefor I miss an arm rest. My own fix for this was a pedestal where I put out one of the drawings, I'm sure the constructor is capable to fix something here ...

Others
This seat is not totally stiff construction. It have an very small amount of flexibility almost as vibrations. To me this really bring something extra to the driving! The driving have become more alive. I can actually feel what the car is up to, an extra feed back. You become one with the car. I might add I always drive in cockpit view. I never get a feeling of weakness in the construction, it is very stable!
When I'm not racing I just lift the Rino Seat out of the way and put in my old chair in front of the computer.

Pro's (not in any special order)
Good contact with the constructor.
Easy to montage the seat.
Tools was in the package.
Easy to adjust the seat.
Very comfortable (except for the missing armchair).
Easy and practical to reach the buttons at the shifter.
Very good price.
Easy to move.

Con's (not in any special order)
Missing an arm rest.
Missing an adjust possibility for the wheel in length from/to the body.
Was a little sweaty after 2,5 hour stints.
Missing a mounting description in English.

I mailed the constructor Renato about the issues I have. He have already answered telling he's working with all the posts above. Good work ...

Pictures: http://teamxfr.org/temp/ ... the pics are around 1 MB each
#2 - Jakg
Main Question - How Much?
#3 - Cawwa
Quote from Jakg :Main Question - How Much?

That was an easy one ... 199 Euro ...
Quote from Cawwa :...Next to adjust was the wheel. Here you don't have endless possibilities with length-hight from the body. I chosed to press the wheel as low as possible for not touch the legs. That was the only way to get the wheel as near me as possible...
...Con's (not in any special order)...
...Missing an adjust possibility for the wheel in length from/to the body...

We changed design of the wheel tube and drilled new three holes with screw in wheel table, and got incredible 24 new positions of wheel (earlier only 6).

Now you can independently move wheel table forward or backward.

We will start delivery that improvement in Rinoseat from 11, February 2008. like a standard option.

Renato M.
Rino Industries Ltd.
reno@rino.hr
RINOSEAT REVOLUTION
THE KING OF SPEED & PLEASURE
If you've gone from one position on the wheel plate, to two, how does that quadruple the amount of available positions? Seems like it would only double the amount of positions.

Your diagram is a little confusing to me.

It's great that you're constantly improving your product though. I hope to buy one later this year.
It includes a new wheel tube as well. That gives all the extra positions

Very clever to have two ways to mount the wheelt tube.
Quote from dontsimon :If you've gone from one position on the wheel plate, to two, how does that quadruple the amount of available positions? Seems like it would only double the amount of positions.

Your diagram is a little confusing to me.

It's great that you're constantly improving your product though. I hope to buy one later this year.

Quote from Chrester :It includes a new wheel tube as well. That gives all the extra positions

Very clever to have two ways to mount the wheelt tube.

ADDITIONAL DESCRIPTION:

Two positions on the wheel plate.
Two ways to mount the same wheel tube (ONLY ONE NEW asymmetrical tube - just rotate - NO TWO TUBES)

video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3082724423152047005

Unique construction of Rinoseat enables sim drivers to feel more of FFB and in that way enjoy more in virtual reality. Flexibility (there is no wobbliness, loose or shaky connection beetwen any part) of steering wheel support tube helps FFB forces to vibrate and travel through seat and body. That could be compared to "resonating forke" effect well known from physics.

Renato M.
reno@rino.hr
review from UK: http://www.simjunkies.org/Forum/index.php?topic=7887.0

Picture the scene…
The corner approaches fast, but he’s not worried. Smoothly, he applies the brakes, and the ferocious, snarling engine note of his classic race car dies away. The tyres squeal their dissent, but he’s not worried; it’s all under control. With a flick of his hand, the car changes gear; and again; and again. The car is protesting, trying to break free from his practised hands, desperate to show him just who is the boss out there; but he’s seen it all before, and the merest hint of a smile breaks across his face. Expertly balancing the car, he eases it to the apex of the corner, enjoying the sensations as the wheel clips the rumble strip. The power is applied with graceful ease, controlling the forces of inertia with barely perceptible movements of throttle, brake and steering. The beast has been tamed, and realising that resistance is futile, his mount accepts the majesty of the pilot, and dutifully drifts towards the exit of the bend, snarling in exaltation as it tears away from the corner, disappearing down the straight, expectantly looking for the next turn, and another virtuoso performance of man and machine in perfect harmony.

But enough about [SJ]Caspar, because he is not writing this review; rather, it has fallen to me to provide an appraisal of the Rinoseat Revolution G25 Edition racing seat, and as all of you are only too aware, none of the above applies to me.

When I recently registered over at GPCOS, I was asked to provide details of my driving style; you will not be surprised to hear that I ticked the “maximum risk” box; but this doesn’t tell the whole story. When the Rinoseat was first introduced to our esteemed membership, questions were raised by both Jarrko ([SJ]Drunken Predator) and myself regarding the Rinoseat’s ability to withstand punishment at the hands of a someone who does not drive with a silky smooth technique. I was minded to suggest that GPCOS include a further category of driving style; “mauler”; no finesse at all, just throw it into the corners, and man-handle it out the other side, because that is a more realistic appraisal of how I drive. One thing is for sure, under my girth, and with my driving “style”, the Rinoseat was certainly going to be put through its paces. However, before extolling the virtues or otherwise of the Rinoseat, I will first pay lip service to more mundane matters, such as instructions, materials, and assembly.

When Ted ([SJ]2shedz) and I tipped the contents from the box, we were surprised to find there were no assembly instructions. OK, we thought, is not a problem, because Marcus ([SJ]Animal) had forwarded on some pictorial guides which were provided by the manufacturers. Trouble was, the pictures showed certain features of the Rinoseat, but did not provide a comprehensive guide. Fortunately, the assembly follows a logical path, and once the parts had been identified, it was a relatively straightforward affair, even for me (I am a thinker, not a do’er!). Within an hour, the thing was bolted together, and we were ready to go, but before jumping aboard, Ted and I undertook a brief appraisal of the materials and overall quality of the package.

The tubing is excellent quality; I am reliably informed that it is hydraulic tubing, which has very high tensile strength, and can really take a pounding. The wheel and pedal holders are pressed steel, in a gloss-red powder coat (I think), and are well finished. The seat is in two parts; the squab consists of a foam pad, approximately 5cms in depth, which is supported by elastic straps attached to the base unit. The seat back encloses similar elastic straps, and is lightly foam-padded. The seat is covered in red and black vinyl, which looks pretty good, but does give concerns regarding longevity. To be entirely honest, I was somewhat under whelmed by the actual seat; it looked as if it would be uncomfortable if used for any length of time, and to my eye, was a little narrow.

Bearing in mind that this is the G25 version of the Rinoseat, it is supplied with two options for mounting the shifter; effectively, you are supplied with two mountings of different lengths, which give the option of mounting the shifter at roughly the same height as the wheel, or lower down, depending on personal preference. I do have a criticism of the shifter mounting; I use the shifter with my left hand (remember, while most of the world drives on the right side of the road, we in the UK drive on the correct side of the road, so left-handed shifting is normal for us). The mounting of choice was the taller of the two options, and it works very well from my point of view. Nevertheless, if right-handed shifting is your bag, it is not possible to mount the shifter quite as far forward, as the mounting post is not completely universal, and the shaping requires right-handed shifters to have their stick around 10cms closer to them. It is possible to order the seat with either left or right-handed shifting option, but I would like to see an entirely universal option.

I suspect that, as the test unit was a pre-production model, this issue will be ironed out come the full production run. Mounting of the shifter was a totally painless exercise; as is the case with all the various mounting points, the holes are in exactly the right place to enable easy mounting of your G25. In my experience, mounting holes for anything can be a hit-and-miss affair, and the manufacturer should be commended for such attention to detail. So having sorted out mounting of my G25, it was time to provide the Rinoseat with the ultimate test, namely having me sit in it!

I am around 6’1” tall (1.85m), and weigh in at a well managed 16st 12lbs (236lbs – 107kg). I have to say that, at a glance, the tubing used in construction of the Rinoseat looked mighty flimsy when confronted by my considerable girth, and despite Ted’s assurance that the tubing would easily cope with my bulk, it was with considerable trepidation that I lowered myself gingerly in to the Rinoseat for the first time. I shouldn’t have worried; the seat felt solid and secure, and within seconds, my fears had evaporated, to be replaced by a confidence that the seat was going to be able to handle anything I threw at it.

I took it home in my car; the modular construction makes it easy to partially disassemble the Rinoseat for transportation, and if LAN parties are your game, this is the seat for you. Having got the Rinoseat to my house, I set about installing it at my computer desk. I do not have the luxury of a study, and all of my racing takes place in a corner of the lounge. This presented a major stumbling block, as my wife is not keen on having her family room transformed into a games room. Fortunately, the Rinoseat is relatively easy to strip down, and can be safely stored away behind the sofa until required.

All set and ready to go; it was time to take it out for a road-test. The first thing I noticed on firing up GT Legends was the way in which the force-feedback generated by the wheel is transferred through the seat; this is a brilliant innovation, and again, we should commend the designer for his original approach to building a race seat. And so to the track, and after a few laps to get used to the revised driving position, I was entirely at home in the Rinoseat, and very much enjoying the ride.

Now, I remind you that, in my introduction, I alluded to the fact that I am something of a “mauler” behind the wheel, and the single tube which supports the wheel does have a tendency to flex when subjected to my abusive driving style. I cannot say how this will affect the components long-term, but I would not be overly concerned. The flexing is hardly noticeable, and does not suggest that, a few months down the line, the Rinoseat will be falling apart. If anything, I believe that the flexing will in fact prolong the life of the G25, as it transfers some of the considerable forces applied through my wheel, and dissipates these through the tube. The pedals, wheel and shifter have remained firmly fixed through out the test, and I have no reason to suspect that the Rinoseat will require constant maintenance to keep it tip-top.

The experience of driving has been nothing other than pleasurable. The sidebars keep you firmly in the seat, and although these apply a small amount of pressure around my hips, it has never become an uncomfortable ride. The driving position is first class; there are a large range of adjustments and with a bit of fiddling, I cannot envisage anyone not finding a comfortable set-up. The seat unit itself, although somewhat sparsely padded, has remained comfortable throughout some long driving stints; although the vinyl covers encourage you to sweat a little more than is the case with a leather-clad seat.

Perhaps the most significant impact of the Rinoseat from a personal perspective is in relation to comfort. I suffer with neck and shoulder discomfort, due to various injuries picked up over the years in accidents, on the sports field, and in bars. When driving from my standard computer chair (a high-backed leather item), I tend to move about a lot, and suffer a few aches and pains after a long stint “at the races.” This has all but disappeared since using the Rinoseat, due to its purpose-built design, and huge range of adjustments for reach, pedal height, wheel height, and so on. Without doubt, it is the most comfortable I have ever been in all the years I have raced simulators; to qualify that statement, it should be pointed out that this is the first purpose-built seat I have used, but even so, the achievement of the Rinoseat designer should not be underestimated. But before anyone thinks that I’ve completely taken leave of my senses; in the best traditions of a cynic, there are a couple of less-positive issues which should be pointed out.

The vinyl covering employed in construction underlines the fact that this has been produced on a budget; I do not see it lasting as long as the other components. In saying that, the seat-back cover is a zip-on affair, and it will be very easy to make a replacement; indeed, I would consider re-covering the seat-cushion and back with either leather, or perhaps even Alcantara, for that authentic race feel. It would certainly not be an expensive enterprise to achieve this, requiring only a couple of metres of material.

Another matter that should be addressed is the price; when the seat first appeared on our site, the price was quoted at €169. This fact notwithstanding, when the test unit arrived, the pro-forma invoice stated the price as €199; this was the unit price, and not inclusive of any carriage costs. Price is one of the key marketing strategies of the Rinoseat, and this is an issue that certainly requires clarification.

And that’s about it really; I am sure that those of you reading this will have ascertained that my impression is nothing other than positive. I am due to forward the Rinoseat to another tester in the next few days; to be honest, I have considered jacking in my membership at Sim Junkies, and doing a runner with the seat. It has a huge range of adjustment which should ensure that anyone who purchases a Rinoseat will be racing in comfort; the well thought out use of materials indicates that it will withstand the test of time relatively well. The utilisation of the wheel’s force-feedback to give a “rumble-seat” effect is a great innovation, and I am certain that other manufacturers will be looking closely at ways of employing this approach in their own cockpits.

Perhaps the greatest accolade I can give is in answering the question “would I buy one”. Abso-bloody-lutely! In fact, following prolonged negotiations, which included both bribery and foot-stamping, Mrs R1der has agreed to let me have one in exchange for finishing off decorating the bathroom; anyone who knows how much I despise undertaking any sort of DIY task will appreciate how high a price she has placed on allowing me to have a Rinoseat, but tomorrow will be spent finishing the tiling, fitting a bath panel, polishing the 1,300 tiles I have already put up, and laying a new floor. For the price, there is absolutely nothing to touch the Rinoseat.

Orange and Blue – Through and Through
[SJ]Sh1te R1der (aka Dave)

Review Rino Seat
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG