Attached images
20080112_8b3fff0ac4f7c80998ddepgk9KYBHST2.jpg
20080112_64b55844f48216669e773n7TAvQpYq25.jpg
20080112_481d01ff23e8824e8702fTZRtQhufAJ2.jpg
20080112_865557eb68aee0cd6e7cwk5z7WjwP3CI.jpg
To me thats a nice looking car
#3 - X-Ter
Really nice
Are they perhaps aiming for DTM? Would be cool to have a third make in the series again
They bought a DTM Vectra at some point, it's possibly that with a Lexus ISF body. I don't think it would be a wise move for them to go in to the DTM, why would they want to go in to a dying series when they could do WTCC?
#6 - X-Ter
Quote from duke_toaster :why would they want to go in to a dying series when they could do WTCC?

Because DTM still is the toughest SuperTouring championship in the nothern hemisphere. It got the highest profile, the best named drivers and so on and so forth. Sure, it has it's problems and I actually think those who organize DTM could learn a lot from the guys Down Under (V8 Supercar) who also race with just two makes on track.
on dtm.de you can't read anything about even an interest of Lexus in joining this TouringCar Championchip. When MG wanted to enter the DTM the website was quickly updated, but MG came into a bad financial area. These cars are far too expensive, when you can't sell them to second hand privatieer teams. That's the adventage of WTCC and it's Super2000 rules. You can sell these cars to BTCC, ADAC Procar, STCC a.s.o. Because of that I don't think it is such a good move to join the DTM. I watch it, but when WTCC is on, I switch the channals. The DTM uses partly too short, too narrow tracks for racing with such big cars. (e.g. Adria, Brands Hatch) or they are changing the tracks if they want, e.g. Lausitzring, when they wanted to use T1!
The point that they should learn something of the V8 Supercars: YES
I would love to see at least one Endurance race in the DTM season. Maybe on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. That a DTM Car could do it, Opel and Audi showed during the 24h-Races there.

But I think these cars are beautiful

Maybe they have more succes with this DTM project, then the F1 project* had.

*go scrawen get it*

Quote from X-Ter :Because DTM still is the toughest SuperTouring championship in the nothern hemisphere.

I wouldn't call it SuperTouring Cars. The SuperTouring Cars were the touringcars during the ninetys in the STW Cup, the STCC, the BTCC and in the european STC.

*Lexus: a brand of Toyota
#8 - X-Ter
Quote from TFalke55 :when you can't sell them to second hand privatieer teams.

Well some cars are sold on. For example old DTM Audi TT and Opel can be found in Dutch Supercar Challenge, which I think is quite a good home for yesterdays DTM cars
#9 - J.B.
Never heard of Toyota interest in DTM. Fake bodykit or something?
First off, about the car:
The car is officially called ISF Racing Concept. However, especially looking at the filler neck and the general shape of the car (as opposed to the cars of the WTCC, whose bodies are pretty near to the ones you'd meet on the series cars), they seem to be clearly aiming for the DTM.

To me, Lexus in the DTM would be a double-edged sword. On one hand, it would surely be cool to see more than 2 makes in the DTM, it could be a real kicker to give the series some importance again. On the other, I think that the DTM itself has lost its sense. It started as a series especially designed for amateur teams that do NOT have some bazillions of $$ to fine-tune their cars. Now have a look at what it is now: A league consisting of only 2 makes that have cars from 3 or 4 years in the races that have to be balanced by penalty weights so the old cars can be competitive, because only by doing so it looks like there's some action going on on the track. WTF!

Also, DTM stands for Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (German Touring Car Masters). However, the Cars used in the DTM are nowhere near the word "Touring Car" as set in the FiA International Sporting Code, Appendix J, Article 251 ("destined for normal sale to the public"). DTM cars are basically just a set of tubes with a plastic body on top for aerodynamics (and to make 'em look like real cars a bit ), which effectively makes them Category II cars: "Cars built as single examples and destined solely for competition."
DTM is nowhere near a touring car series (in my defeinition of a touring car = somewhat similar to the road car it mimics). It is however one of the best touring car series, to be better it should steal some of the ideas from V8SC. DTM is almost a one make series, and thats a good thing.

1. Stricter homoglation rules to make all cars even more equal (regardless of what the carbon fiber shell looks like)
2. Forbid the "works" teams. Make all merc/audi drivers fight on equal standig without team orders affecting more then the other driver of the team.
3. Skip the old cars, I like the idea of permitting budget teams, but arbitrary weight penalties only give a unfair advantage to the lucky team that gets less weight than their car deservs. Q: What happens currently if an old car wins the series? A: it gets penalty weight added long before that happens.

Trying to look at WTCC would be a failure since wtcc is a farce due to the homoglation lottery (you might think all cars are built to the same spec but that is not the case)

More teams to DTM could be good, it could also be disaster.
Quote from LFSn00b :For me, it is a Touring car seires(Assuming DTM Means Deutsche Tourenvagen Masters = German Touring car Masters)

Look 3 posts upwards. Even though you are right with the meaning of the name DTM, DTM cars are NOT touring cars according to the FiA definition. Touring cars must be "destined for normal sale to the public", and must not be "cars built as single examples and destined solely for competition."

Citation source: FiA International Sporting Code, Appendix J, Article 251
Quote from heson :Trying to look at WTCC would be a failure since wtcc is a farce due to the homoglation lottery (you might think all cars are built to the same spec but that is not the case)

It's not a farce. You have to have these slight rule breaks (but currently it's only for one make, and Chevrolet won't get the slightly bigger valves next year) if you have production based cars, really. The DTM cars don't need them (but they have a weight system that adjusts different models and years, anyway) as the only part that is from the road car is the roof panel.
Cool, but i don't think it will race in DTM.Because DTM stands for German Touring Championship or something, anyway the key-word is German.I belive that means that only german cars can race and untill now my teory is correct but from what I have just seen, I could be wrong.In any case, we shall see.
Well through the years there has been BMW, Opel, Rover, Alfa, Ford, Audi, Volkswagen, Fiat, Chevrolet, Volvo, Mitsubishi, MG and Mercedes, so I think a Lexus would fit right in there
Quote from St4Lk3R :

Also, DTM stands for Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (German Touring Car Masters). However, the Cars used in the DTM are nowhere near the word "Touring Car" as set in the FiA International Sporting Code, Appendix J, Article 251 ("destined for normal sale to the public"). DTM cars are basically just a set of tubes with a plastic body on top for aerodynamics (and to make 'em look like real cars a bit ), which effectively makes them Category II cars: "Cars built as single examples and destined solely for competition."

And the FIA is always right, and in Max Mosley we trust...

So Dtm cars are what, just cars? Doesn't "touring car" just simply mean that the car doesn't have an open body. It's probably called "Tourenwagen" because it isn't a single seater formula. Although it is basically a formula car with a plastic cover on top.

And in my opinion, DTM is one of the best racing series ever. The cars are built to be as fast as possible, which is the point of all motor racing.
Quote from hyntty :Doesn't "touring car" just simply mean that the car doesn't have an open body. It's probably called "Tourenwagen" because it isn't a single seater formula. Although it is basically a formula car with a plastic cover on top.

no... GT Cars have a top as well... that would mean that the FiA GT is a TouringCar Cup, or that LeMans is a 24h-race for prototypes and TouringCars
Quote from TFalke55 :no... GT Cars have a top as well... that would mean that the FiA GT is a TouringCar Cup, or that LeMans is a 24h-race for prototypes and TouringCars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gt :

Quote :GT may stand for:
Gay Times, a culture magazine for gay males

well, anyway. Grand tourer is a high-performance automobile designed for long-distance driving. Touring car racing is a general term for a number of distinct auto racing competitions in heavily-modified street cars. And DTM cars are heavily modified.
Quote from hyntty :And DTM cars are heavily modified.

They're not. They are completely purpose built, the only part that is the same as the road car is the roof panel.
Quote from duke_toaster :They're not. They are completely purpose built, the only part that is the same as the road car is the roof panel.

:arge: So what? As long as they have four wheels and a steering wheel they are modified road cars. Can't argue with that.

And the definition was really "a modified road car". The race car doesn't have to be a regular one which has been modified afterwards.
Quote from hyntty ::arge: So what? As long as they have four wheels and a steering wheel they are modified road cars. Can't argue with that.

And the definition was really "a modified road car". The race car doesn't have to be a regular one which has been modified afterwards.

So F1 cars are also a modified road car by your definition? (Just checkning)
well... I can say that by using the S2000 reglement (reglement of the WTCC), the car can be tuned afterwards. There are some specs you have to tune up to get counted to it. That's why you see sometimes a Volvo, a Honda or something like that in WTCC. They get the S2000 homolugation after tuning it up. The DTM cars... hmm... You are not able to go to any tuning mechanic demand a DTM car. About that S2000 thingy i'm not 100%, but 90%.
Quote from heson :So F1 cars are also a modified road car by your definition? (Just checkning)

Okey... he mentioned a roof in a previous post, but therefore for you a prototype, like the LeMans Bugatti or the Toyota would be touringcars as well. It has four wheels, a steering wheel and a roof.
Another thing is that most of the racers in the DTM say, that you drive DTM cars more like GT-Cars then you drive them like touring cars.
Quote from TFalke55 :well... I can say that by using the S2000 reglement (reglement of the WTCC), the car can be tuned afterwards. There are some specs you have to tune up to get counted to it. That's why you see sometimes a Volvo, a Honda or something like that in WTCC. They get the S2000 homolugation after tuning it up. The DTM cars... hmm... You are not able to go to any tuning mechanic demand a DTM car. About that S2000 thingy i'm not 100%, but 90%.

Yes, the but surely the best tuned cars in wtcc are purposly built. Wouldn't it be funny to see Andy Priaulx drive a car from a BMW showroom to a tuning shop?

Actually, the point was that there isn't really a more suitable category for dtm than touring car.
Quote :
Okey... he mentioned a roof in a previous post, but therefore for you a prototype, like the LeMans Bugatti or the Toyota would be touringcars as well. It has four wheels, a steering wheel and a roof.
Another thing is that most of the racers in the DTM say, that you drive DTM cars more like GT-Cars then you drive them like touring cars.

Wasn't the difference in the distance... GT's are long-distance, touring cars aren't.
nice find scania
Quote from hyntty :
Wasn't the difference in the distance... GT's are long-distance, touring cars aren't.

the DTM Opel Astra and Audi TT drove in the 24h-race in the Green Hell... the only difference was the engine setup (and that the Audi was on Michelin)

and the German based ADAC GT Masters does only have one hour races, like the DTM.

EDIT: Sry... previously i said lemans but it was the Nürburgring... I spoke too much and thought too much about the Circuit de la Sarthe (LeMans)

Isf Dtm?
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG