The online racing simulator
Limited (Junior) Admin Rights
(14 posts, started )
This is just something that popped into my head so make of it what you will but I think it might be handy.

A coded position for a Junior or Assistant Server Admin.

I'm not sure how each team or group runs their servers but in some cases it could be worthwhile to endow trustworthy people with certain admin rights that keep the server orderly and efficient but at the same time not turn over the keys to the kingdom by allowing fullscale changes.

For example...

A Junior/Assistant Admin would have the power to:
- Force restarts or qualifying
- Force players to pit or spectate
- Issue on-track penalties
- Kick players
- Ban players up to 1 day
- Send server messages in the chatbox
- Send race control messages that appear in the middle of the screen

A Junior/Assistant Admin would NOT have the power to:
- Change any of the admin passwords (thus preventing a hijack)
- Change or establish a user password (thus keeping a public server public or a private server private)
- Change any connection settings (# of players/ports/etc...)
- Allow/disallow cars or change track or apply auto-x layout to track
- End race
- Change qualifying time length or race distance
- Turn on/off mandatory pit stops
- Ban players for longer than 1 day
- Edit ban list

Giving limited powers such as those listed to someone trustworthy would mean that more people have the power to ensure order on a server but at the same time not letting more people have the power to make major changes or go tyrannical with unfair bans or hijack the server by changing passwords.

What do you think?
VERY VERY VERY good idea :up: !!!!!!

I wish we could have such a thing, since most server admins would prefer NOT to have some newbie admin messing with the settings or whatever. This is really needed.

I guess when they enter with limited-admin power, they would have to enter a limited-admin-password. And the server admin would have a full access password. That would make it easy I guess.

I would however like the options they have to be editable via a config file or something. Because if the limited-admin could not reset an Auto-X layout or something, that's no fun. Just have it editable and it would be decent.
YES YES YES YES!! Ive always wanted this but never known! (never thought of it in lfs, but id really like it)

VERYYYYYYY nice idea, devs better put this in the game!!
Quote from Tweaker :
I guess when they enter with limited-admin power, they would have to enter a limited-admin-password. And the server admin would have a full access password. That would make it easy I guess.

I would however like the options they have to be editable via a config file or something. Because if the limited-admin could not reset an Auto-X layout or something, that's no fun. Just have it editable and it would be decent.

Yeah that would make sense. Have the setup.cfg file contain paramaters for a junior admin password and also which commands the junior admin has the power to use.

Some of the more harmless parameters like car/track/auto-x options could be opened up if senior admins so choose but things like connection settings and passwords should be restricted to avoid potential screw-ups as you suggested. Also I believe there should be a limit on banning rights for a junior admin since the very name suggests that they are lower in rank than a full admin and serious stuff like month/year-long bans should fall to full admins to decide.
Sounds cool.
+1
Cool idea
This sounds nice. Would be great for smaller leagues where they run 2 servers and only one guy is the real admin. He could get a trusted driver to administrate the server the admin isn't on.

Its a very good idea indeed, but i would rather the devs worked on other problems personally.

Althoguh i would liek to see junior admin being able to change tracks.
+1, i agree!
Stay tuned!
#12 - shim
most games use pretty much this as a RCON setup.. would be nice to have..
+100000

I would love it. But it would great if it would be possible to define different usergroups and add different USERS to it. So there would also be no need of a real admin-password.
Some of my taughts: You could set admin options, so, what can admins do, and also these adminoptions could be different for admin groups.

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG