The online racing simulator
Browse For Speed - 0.9
(15 posts, started )
#1 - wabz
Browse For Speed - 0.9
Patch Y changed a few things which required BFS to be updated, and we added some extra things along the way.

BFS 0.9

0.8a to 0.9 Changelog:
  • Updated for Patch Y
  • Added "Can reset" and "Cruise" filters
  • Added FBM to car list
  • Now uses LFSLib.Net 0.16b.
  • Admin interface fixed. Removed relay option (BFS uses TCP for insim, so using the relay shouldn't be necessary)
  • Favourite servers now show if they're Private from the normal list
  • Added password dialog before joining. Uses saved password.
  • Server list background is white if you turn off coloured hostnames
If you haven't heard of Browse For Speed:

Browse For Speed is an extremely useful tool for finding servers and joining them. It is able to query demo/s1/s2 servers, lets you maintain a favourites list and keeps track of your friends. It also lets you remotely control your servers via an admin interface.

Querying Features
:
  • Ability to query/join Demo/S1/S2 servers, with filters (cars/public/private/empty/full/tracks/ping/can reset/cruise)
  • Maintains a favourite server list
  • Maintains a friends list
  • View extended server information (racer list, server rules etc)

Admin features
:
  • Connects to servers via insim (connecting via insim relay also supported)
  • Sends/receives server messages
  • Ability to send private messages
  • Shows racer list, with context menu (kick/ban/force spectate)

General
:
  • Ability to launch an arbitrary number of programs before LFS
  • Able to get a server list and query each server
  • Available in 9 languages (thanks to the translators, see CREDITS file)
  • Extremely easy to add translations (place an XML file in the lang folder)
  • Free and open source. If there is any doubt in your mind about what this program does, you can get the source, go through it, and build it yourself using free tools.
The only remote machines BFS will contact are:
  • The LFS master server (to get a server list)
  • Each LFS game server
  • LFSWorld (for pubstat queries (BFS caches these queries so you don't hit the limit))
  • If (and only if) you have version check enabled, it will query www.browseforspeed.net purely for version checking.
I moved my hosting around, and have therefore been able to move (what was private) trac/svn to it:
http://www.browseforspeed.net/trac/ if you want to send patches
And if you want to get the sources from svn, here's the svn url:
http://www.browseforspeed.net/svn/trunk/
#2 - VoiD
Thx for the update m8

Edit:

Is there any way to delete old game-paths?
Did a fresh "install" but my old executables are still there. I guess this has something to do with M$-NetFrameWork.
BFS uses some information from Windows about recently used programs to try and figure out where your LFS directory and executable is located. Basically. it populates the list with every recently started program that has "lfs.exe" in the path name.

Unfortunately, there is no way to delete old paths (at least, not until Windows purges the list of recently used programs). Though as long as the correct lfs.exe path is selected everything should go swimmingly.

The main reason it's there is to allow people to easily change the LFS executable path if they happen to run more than one version (perhaps they're using one of the test patches).
#4 - VoiD
Supporting multiple game-version is a good feature, that´s for sure. I´m fine with that. Had four versions till yesterday on my system.

After cleaning the registry everything is as it should be.
#5 - Bean0
Nice one, appreciate your efforts keeping BFS up-to-date.
Small bug
After pressing quick refresh button it appears as MainForm.btnq :}

not really sure why, but I cant seem to get CTRA servers to show up at all. And those in my favorites list always have 9999 ping, and dont show any players.
However, if I hit "Server Details", I can see who is in there"
#8 - wabz
Dear Stigpt,

They show up with 9999 ping because their IP addresses have changed since you added them to your favourite list. With favourites, we don't contact the master server to get their details, so this behaviour is to be expected (you see the same with server browsers for other games - steam/hlsw/etc).

Just remove them and add them from the main list again.

The reason you can view server info and get some details is because it uses pubstat for some of those details, and that works by server name, not IP address.

Hope this makes things clear,

love,
-- wabz
#9 - VoiD
Any news about a new Z-compatible version..?
I don't know why, but it can find only empty servers. I have all my filters set correctly. LFS path correct.
Quote from Flame CZE :I don't know why, but it can find only empty servers. I have all my filters set correctly. LFS path correct.

Same thing!!
Quote from Flame CZE :I don't know why, but it can find only empty servers. I have all my filters set correctly. LFS path correct.

Quote from palilulac :Same thing!!

We need to wait for a Z compatible version, the servers you are seeing are empty patch Y ones.
new version ?

Any news about a new Z-compatible version..?

+1
I was just thinking about bumping this thread too
Even the friends list doesn't work anymore (it was ok till yesterday)

Edit: Friends works again
To bad it doesn't work with Patch Z. I still hope it will be updated.

Maybe it's time for an ingame bookmark option or LFS World version.

Browse For Speed - 0.9
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG